Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#600096 - 08/11/12 06:12 AM Romney running mate is Paul Ryan
Allen Montgomery Offline

Mr. Vouchers-for-Medicare hisself. It's an early Christmas.

#600097 - 08/11/12 09:03 AM Re: Romney running mate is Paul Ryan [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Ted Kilvington Offline

Loc: Mason, MI, USA
If I were running the Obama campaign, I would characterize the Ryan health care plan as "coupon-care".

"I still have that comic, only now it's in liquid form!"

#600099 - 08/11/12 01:14 PM Re: Romney running mate is Paul Ryan [Re: Ted Kilvington]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
The New Yorker magazine just ran an interesting profile of Paul Ryan. It noted that Ryan's congressional district in Wisconsin is in bad shape economically, but the federal government is -- with Ryan's blessings -- spending many millions of dollars there to improve infrastructure, offer worker training and in general make the place more hospitable for job creation.

The irony was entirely lost on Ryan.

#600101 - 08/11/12 02:38 PM Re: Romney running mate is Paul Ryan [Re: Lawson]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Ryan will be running for VP and his Congressional seat simultaneously. Apparently, he is facing (for the first time in many cycles) a serious D competitor in the house race... in a district that President Obama carried. That would be pretty delicious to see the Ayn Rand fanboy lose both races.

#600102 - 08/11/12 03:50 PM Re: Romney running mate is Paul Ryan [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
What a cop-out!

Pick one government job or the other, Paul. Running to keep your House seat while you run for vice president makes it look like you have no faith in Mitt Romney. Which may be true, but ...

But then Paul Ryan has been in Congress more than a dozen years now, including the eight years of the Bush administration, when he loyally voted for massive spending that we could not afford. He's another entrenched incumbent posing as an outsider and who spends our money recklessly while pretending to be a fiscal hawk.

Congress is full of "free-market conservatives" who would sooner die than give up their government jobs, health care coverage and pensions to take their chances with the rest of us in the private sector.

#600104 - 08/11/12 05:20 PM Re: Romney running mate is Paul Ryan [Re: Lawson]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
He's a good choice for Romney, since he's even further to the right. It makes the choice in the election even starker. And when Obama wins, the Tea Party won't be able to say, "See, Romney was a mistake, the GOP should have chosen somebody even further to the right!"

So they have abandoned any attempt to appeal to independents, moderates, women, or minorities. The Romney strategy is now: fire up the base, and voter suppression.

#600105 - 08/11/12 05:31 PM Re: Romney running mate is Paul Ryan [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
I didn't know that about Ryan being able to run for both positions at once. I guess if his state's law allows it, then you can't really blame him.

Oh wait, according to this, he doesn't even get the choice to back out of his House race:

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/243227-ryan-can-run-for-house-seat-vp-at-same-time

"The law specifically states that once a candidate is nominated, his or her name has to remain on the ballot except in the case of death.
But if Ryan does make it to the vice presidential mansion, that election would "void the candidate's election to any other office," and a special election would be called."

So, yeah, not his fault in this case.

#600109 - 08/11/12 09:42 PM Re: Romney running mate is Paul Ryan [Re: Lawson]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Originally Posted By: Lawson
Pick one government job or the other, Paul.

On this particular topic, I can't fault Ryan. After all, Biden and Lieberman did the same thing.

#600110 - 08/11/12 09:45 PM Re: Romney running mate is Paul Ryan [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Originally Posted By: Peter Urkowitz
And when Obama wins, the Tea Party won't be able to say, "See, Romney was a mistake, the GOP should have chosen somebody even further to the right!"

Oh, yes, they will. While I hope Ryan will go away after he and Romney lose in November, I'd guess he's going to be a strong contender for the R nomination in 2016.

#600131 - 08/14/12 11:01 AM Re: Romney running mate is Paul Ryan [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Ceci n'est pas une chaussette Offline

You guys haven't even considered how hard the "great hair" demo is going to fall for this ticket.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >