Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 ... 28 29 >
Topic Options
#600117 - 08/13/12 12:52 AM Joe Kubert R.I.P.
IvanJim Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
According to several sources Mr. Kubert has passed away. He lived a long and fruitful life, leaving an extensive legacy, but there's still a sense that he had quite a bit more to contribute. Condolences to his friends, fans, students and family.

#600118 - 08/13/12 01:19 AM Re: Joe Kubert R.I.P. [Re: IvanJim]
Alexander Ness Online   shocked

Loc: Minnesota
He was an artist who had work I appreciated, and a sense of duty to raise a new generation with the information he learned. He will be missed, as every generation needs such a teacher.

#600119 - 08/13/12 03:22 AM Re: Joe Kubert R.I.P. [Re: Alexander Ness]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Provided they can cough up seventy-eight grand. For no degree and only trade school accreditation.

I always appreciated his artwork as being more spontaneous and less reliant on stock "go to" poses and compositions like many of his contemporaries would do (Kirby, Kane). The Tarzan Treasury Edition is a joyful memory from my youth that is still a wonderful thing to behold. But his "school?" Let's call it what it is: a reversal of the Eisner sweat shop model into a fleecing of deluded hopefuls. And let us not forget he is included in the list of willing contributors to Before Watchmen.

Talented man. Too bad he couldn't have been just that.

#600121 - 08/13/12 04:23 AM Re: Joe Kubert R.I.P. [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Jimbo Offline

Loc: New Zealand/Canada
Very sad news indeed.

#600125 - 08/13/12 09:08 AM Re: Joe Kubert R.I.P. [Re: Jimbo]
Joe Lee Offline

#600127 - 08/13/12 01:58 PM Re: Joe Kubert R.I.P. [Re: Joe Lee]
MightyQuin Online   content

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
Thanks for that link, Joe, I believe that's the first time I've heard Joe Kubert speak. I missed a lot! When he calls comic artists 'cartoonists', it somehow carried gravitas and dignity. I'm sure that's because that how he always thought of the profession.

#600128 - 08/13/12 08:45 PM Re: Joe Kubert R.I.P. [Re: MightyQuin]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
He seemed immortal and unstoppable, so this is a terrible shock. Thanks for all the gifts you gave us, Joe Kubert. Rest in Peace, and best wishes to your family and friends.

#600130 - 08/14/12 10:41 AM Re: Joe Kubert R.I.P. [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
Provided they can cough up seventy-eight grand. For no degree and only trade school accreditation.

I always appreciated his artwork as being more spontaneous and less reliant on stock "go to" poses and compositions like many of his contemporaries would do (Kirby, Kane). The Tarzan Treasury Edition is a joyful memory from my youth that is still a wonderful thing to behold. But his "school?" Let's call it what it is: a reversal of the Eisner sweat shop model into a fleecing of deluded hopefuls. And let us not forget he is included in the list of willing contributors to Before Watchmen.

Talented man. Too bad he couldn't have been just that.

Once again, remind me to not let Allen deliver my eulogy.

Though I cannot argue with his facts.

R.I.P., Mr. Kubert. A great comics artist.

#600133 - 08/14/12 02:47 PM Re: Joe Kubert R.I.P. [Re: Lawson]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Out of curiosity, since Allen mentioned it, I checked the federal education data about the Joe Kubert School.

Costs about $60,000 for someone to get a two-year certificate in commercial art. The taxpayers pump about $500,000 a year into the place through federal financial aid. Looks like they accept most people who send in an application.

Is the Kubert school legit? Or a ripoff? Do most people graduate from there and go onto long, lucrative careers in comics?

I only ask because $60,000 for two years sounds like a lot. I think I earned a bachelor's degree -- an actual degree, not a certificate -- for maybe $18,000 over four years, though that was a while ago.

#600134 - 08/14/12 06:06 PM Re: Joe Kubert R.I.P. [Re: Lawson]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Originally Posted By: Lawson
The taxpayers pump about $500,000 a year into the place through federal financial aid. Looks like they accept most people who send in an application.

Kubert got his start in the Eisner sweat shop, which gave a chance to anybody who could trace a straight line. He could have done something like that, hiring these kids to make up a bullpen creating comics under his own publishing banner. But... that grant and loan money, y'know? Instead of his paying them to create comics, *they* could pay *him*. Brilliant!

Is the Kubert school legit? Or a ripoff? Do most people graduate from there and go onto long, lucrative careers in comics?

According to their FAQ page, they have a 100% placement rate. They fail to qualify this outrageous claim, but I'd assume they count a graduate who set up a booth at the flea market drawing cartoon likenesses one time as being employed.

an actual degree, not a certificate

Accreditation, or lack thereof, has been a big issue with the Kubert School for decades. What the hurdle is to their actually offering an art degree, I don't know. They likely play this as a positive, though. "There's no English, Math, Science or History... so it's not like SCHOOL school."

Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 ... 28 29 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley