Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#600361 - 08/22/12 10:56 PM Re: The Secret Co-Creator of Batman [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
Let the record show that you are the one who sabotaged this thread.
How do you figure that?

I would have thought asking for someone besides you to contribute to a thread, would be a mark of sanity around here. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

I didn't even read your opinion of the book, because I don't give a shit what you think.

Edited by Joe Lee (08/22/12 11:14 PM)

#600365 - 08/23/12 04:09 AM Re: The Secret Co-Creator of Batman [Re: Joe Lee]
Paul W. Sondersted, Jr. Offline

Loc: Sparks, Nevada, United States
I haven't read the book, but thanks to you I've added it to my wishlist on Amazon. It looks to be a very interesting read. I've heard others talk about Bill Finger & the apparent injustice done to him by Bob Kane. Doesn't paint a positive picture of Mr. Kane at all.

By the way, since Necro doesn't give it a glowing review means it must be pretty good, indeed!

#600367 - 08/23/12 07:13 AM Re: The Secret Co-Creator of Batman [Re: Joe Lee]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Originally Posted By: Joe Lee
How do you figure that?

Straight lines are that difficult for you?

I didn't even read your opinion of the book

Yeah, right.

#600368 - 08/23/12 07:31 AM Re: The Secret Co-Creator of Batman [Re: Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Originally Posted By: Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.
I've heard others talk about Bill Finger & the apparent injustice done to him by Bob Kane. Doesn't paint a positive picture of Mr. Kane at all.

Bob Kane is one of the worst men in the history of comic books. Note my post tag line. He wasn't just a businessman trying to make a buck, he was an artist who screwed other artists, literally traced other artists' work and who knows what else.

By the way, since Necro doesn't give it a glowing review means it must be pretty good, indeed!

My complaint is that it isn't very in-depth. Supposedly Nobleman researched this thing for five years, but what we get as a product of that is a children's picture book. The back cover says it's "A Junior Library Guild Selection," so maybe that's on purpose. A lot of this material has been lost, so even though the life of Bill Finger deserves more coverage than this, maybe this is all Nobleman could wring out of it. Paul Karasik did a great job with the even more obscure Fletcher Hanks in his two books, though. I have not read Nobleman's other book, Boys of Steel: The Creators of Superman, but I would hope it's not as simple as this book.

The page where Kane is showing off "his" Bat-Man to Vin Sullivan and not giving any credit to Finger, and the pages leading up to it, give no indicator of as to why Kane did that. The six-page afterword is nice, but the CBR article paraphrases the whole thing. Even the happy ending. Read both and you'll see what I mean.

#600371 - 08/23/12 09:26 AM Re: The Secret Co-Creator of Batman [Re: Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.]
Joe Lee Offline

Dammit. That's why I didn't read his post. I didn't want to artificially influence my decision.

Now I've gone an ordered the thing out of spite.

#600372 - 08/23/12 09:29 AM Re: The Secret Co-Creator of Batman [Re: Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.]
Joe Lee Offline

I haven't read the book, but thanks to you I've added it to my wishlist on Amazon. It looks to be a very interesting read. I've heard others talk about Bill Finger & the apparent injustice done to him by Bob Kane. Doesn't paint a positive picture of Mr. Kane at all.
Yeah, I read an interview with Jerry Robinson a while back where he outlined much of the history of the original working arrangements with everyone working for Kane and the transition to working for DC. If I remember it right, it was really interesting how Kane actually screwed himself out of owning Batman outright. By not listening to the guys when they wanted more money, they went over his head, directly to DC to negotiate.

It was in one of the Two Morrows magazines, (Back-Issue or Alter Ego? Maybe Comic Book Artist, I'll try and dig it up),

#600375 - 08/23/12 11:19 AM Re: The Secret Co-Creator of Batman [Re: Joe Lee]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Now I've gone an ordered the thing out of spite.

It's better than Ritchey's Green Lama, I would have to say.

#602052 - 04/15/13 06:24 AM Re: The Secret Co-Creator of Batman [Re: Joe Lee]
Allen Montgomery Offline

I didn't even read your opinion of the book, because I don't give a shit what you think.

Sure is strange how similar your review of the book is to mine, though.

#602054 - 04/17/13 06:15 PM Re: The Secret Co-Creator of Batman [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Real Hunter, Alll the time. Offline

It's not always about you man. We got a good thing going over there, you've got the whole run of the place here yourself. Why aren't you happy?

#602058 - 04/17/13 07:37 PM Re: The Secret Co-Creator of Batman [Re: Real Hunter, Alll the time.]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Because you won't go away.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley