Page 4 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
#600559 - 08/27/12 06:59 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Gerald]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Yeah, Lee Bermejo is one of the ones I'll miss giving money to.

#600566 - 08/28/12 12:26 AM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Gerald Offline

Although I think Bermejo is a great artist I haven't been interested in any of his DC projects like Lex Luthor: Man of Steel or the Joker GN.

I guess I'm boycotting JMS after reading his comments on Alan Moore. If I recall correctly he said that Alan Moore was given the chance to write Watchmen 2 but he turned it down. He was later offered the chance again, this time in return for ownership of Watchmen. What he neglected to mention was that Alan Moore was not offered the rights initially and it was only after the movie that DC said, "okay, we'll give you the rights back but ONLY if you write Watchmen 2."

But it mostly helps that I'm not interested in the current output of these artists and writers. Azzarello's Superman run was my introduction to his work and I thought it was pretty bad. Darwn Cooke made The New Frontier which I thought was amazing, but I didn't care to see his version of Will Eisner's The Spirit. I like Adam Hughes cheesecake art but I doubt he'll get around to illustrating interiors any time soon and I don't buy comics for the covers.

I think Amanda Conner would be a tough one. I really liked her art on The Pro and her short JSA: Classified issues featuring Power Girl but the rest of her DC stuff combined with writing seems average.

#600568 - 08/28/12 01:34 AM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Gerald]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
I can totally understand boycotting the Before Watchmen series. I can understand being mad at the people who are working on it.

But boycotting all of their future work? That's just being a dickhead.

#600569 - 08/28/12 04:21 AM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Gerald Offline

Maybe but I find it insulting when someone deliberately twists the facts to excuse dishonest practices. Other comic professionals have written about the issue from DC's perspective without resorting to a misrepresentation of the facts.

But I don't really buy anything from DC. Anything that looks mildly interesting is either overpriced, delayed, or too bogged down in continuity to enjoy.

#600573 - 08/28/12 08:42 AM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Peter Urkowitz]

Originally Posted By: Peter Urkowitz

And working on Before Watchmen *ISN'T* a dickhead move?

Most of the contributors are empty vessels to begin with, guns for hire who never actually created any properties. Even though I like Bermejo's artwork, I didn't buy the stuff Gerald pointed out, either, because they're just work-for-hire filler. So I'm thinking dismissing future works by Adam Hughes, Jae Lee, Dave Johnson, Josh Middleton and Kevin Nowlan won't be a very big loss.

#600575 - 08/28/12 10:35 AM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Ceci n'est pas une chaussette Offline

Originally Posted By: Peter Urkowitz

Since you never ethically owe a cartoonist your business, I don't see how that could possibly be the case.

The only reason you ever need to not buy someone's comics is "I don't want to buy that person's comics." One reason that would easily fall under that umbrella is "because they worked on Before Watchmen."

#600578 - 08/28/12 01:12 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Ceci n'est pas une chaussette]
Joe Lee Offline

I think you are both right.

You don't owe a cartoonist or anyone for that matter, your business. Anyone can decide to not buy someone's work for any reason, arbitrary or not. They can even create a blacklist if they want, but it doesn't mean they aren't just being a dickhead too.

They can easily do both. Being a dickhead is subjective.

#600582 - 08/28/12 01:45 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Joe Lee]
Ceci n'est pas une chaussette Offline

Originally Posted By: Joe Lee
They can even create a blacklist if they want, but it doesn't mean they aren't just being a dickhead too.

Actually, we would require some sort of hiring power to create a blacklist.

#600623 - 08/28/12 05:01 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Ceci n'est pas une chaussette]
Joe Lee Offline

Originally Posted By: Ceci n'est pas une chaussette
Originally Posted By: Joe Lee
They can even create a blacklist if they want, but it doesn't mean they aren't just being a dickhead too.

Actually, we would require some sort of hiring power to create a blacklist.
...still doesn't mean you aren't a dickhead.

#600628 - 08/28/12 05:06 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Joe Lee]

Does mean you need some remedial reading assistance, though.

Page 4 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24 25 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley