Topic Options
#600801 - 09/05/12 06:13 PM World's Finest-Huntress/Powergirl #0
Gerald Offline

Picked up World's Finest-Huntress/Powergirl #0.

I haven't bought this title before, mostly because Kevin Maguire was only drawing a 3rd of the book, with the rest handled by George Perez. Maguire has a very fresh and distinctive style that gives the characters life.

Anyways, I saw this title on the new comics section and noticed that Kevin Maguire was the only artist listed on the cover. Flipped through it and yeah, no Perez, looks like it's all Maguire. So I had to buy it.

The comic makes use of the #0 origin issue format because it tells briefly Huntress's origin, along with briefly mentioning what's going on in the world of Earth 2. You get told just enough to pique your curiosity and not feel bogged down in some new continuity.

I liked this issue so much I wish DC's relaunch had been about retiring the old characters and having Supergirl, Huntress and others be the new generation of heroes.

Edited by Gerald (09/05/12 06:33 PM)

#600802 - 09/06/12 10:00 AM Re: World's Finest-Huntress/Powergirl #0 [Re: Gerald]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
I'm pretty much the opposite, since I'm buying the book for Perez' art. Not that Maguire isn't good. His Trinity Angels run back for one of the abortive Valiant relaunches caught my eye many a year ago.

As for WORLD'S FINEST, it's had some good action so far and has created a strong and entertaining relationship between Power Girl and Huntress. The book is very flashback heavy, alternating between the girls "today" and when they first arrived on Earth 1, and I'm not sure if that technique or the overall storyline of them trying to get back home is going to continue to dominate the title.

Mike

#600803 - 09/06/12 05:51 PM Re: World's Finest-Huntress/Powergirl #0 [Re: MBunge]
Gerald Offline

Based on the strength of this issue I might have to buy the other issues even though I don't like the idea of them on Earth 1/New Earth/Earth 1A. It's too overpopulated with supercharacters and continuity rebooted or not.

I like the Earth 2 presented in this zero issue because the story was fast forwarded to the future but pretty easy to fill in the blanks. Batman and Catwoman eventually got married and Superman is training Supergirl to take over for him.

The Earth 2 comic I'm not even touching though. The one rebooting Jay Garrick and Alan Scott.

Edited by Gerald (09/06/12 05:51 PM)

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley