Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#601187 - 10/05/12 02:53 PM Re: Dave Sim and Fantagraphics Lovefest [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
madget Offline

It's really too bad. Fantagraphics could do a beautiful job with Cerebus hardcovers. I'd probably spring for those; my old phone books and comic issues are kinda scrubby these days.

K

#601271 - 10/16/12 01:01 PM Re: Dave Sim and Fantagraphics Lovefest [Re: madget]
James Van Hise Offline

Loc: Yucca Valley, CA
Sim was supposedly resentful over the old (forgotten by most) concentration camp guard cartoon in TCJ. What Sim didn't mention (and has never confronted) is his treatment of William Messner-Loebs. Sim was the original publisher of Journey and charged Loebs fees such as a $400 a month "office fee" even though Loebs didn't live near Sim or use the office. When Loebs took Journey to Fantagraphics, Sim called Loebs and threatened him over the phone. TCJ reported all of this at the time. Loebs found the experience of working with Sim so unpleasant that he refuses to talk about it so as not to give Sim any excuse to ever contact him again.

#601273 - 10/16/12 04:23 PM Re: Dave Sim and Fantagraphics Lovefest [Re: James Van Hise]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

I remember Sim saying something about paying Loebs in advance for some work that Loebs never did. I had a strong suspicion he was lying, and this adds to that suspicion.

#601275 - 10/16/12 11:52 PM Re: Dave Sim and Fantagraphics Lovefest [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
Interesting story. I believe it, but it doesn't really match up with the stories of others who have done business with Sim, that I can recall. Most describe him as always living up to his agreements, whatever they were.

One could also say that Sim was never really comfortable publishing anyone else, and that most of the early growth of Aardvark-Vanaheim was instigated by his ex-wife Deni Loubert while she served as publisher. After they divorced, the other titles didn't last much longer. Journey was probably one of the longest-running.

I certainly wish that Messner-Loebs was still active in comics. I know he's faced a lot of hardships. I loved Journey.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley