Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#601030 - 09/26/12 11:17 AM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
Last night, I read Powers Volume 2, issues 1 to 6. This book is much better than I remember. Anyway, Deena Pilgrim is truly an obnoxious character so much so that I feel sorry for Christian Walker. Reading the letters pages, Bendis comes across as a complete twat as well. Still, a good comic.

#601048 - 09/27/12 06:36 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
Gerald Offline

I'm still checking out iZombie. THE best art, coloring, and covers of any comic I've seen on the shelves. I just don't care too much about the characters or story.

#601050 - 09/27/12 10:34 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Gerald]
Mr. Socko Offline

Man, I felt almost the same way about iZombie. I loved to look at it, but I just kept waiting and waiting for the characters to grow on me.

#601059 - 09/28/12 01:59 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Mr. Socko]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
DAYTRIPPER

By Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá

Wow.

Just ... wow.

DAYTRIPPER was a 10-issue mini-series published by DC/Vertigo in 2010. It deservedly won an Eisner Award, a Harvey Award and an Eagle Award.

Now it's collected in trade paperback, and it's beautiful, the story and the art, beautiful, thoughtful, touching, something unique and wonderful in funnybooks.

The story is about Brás de Oliva Domingos of Brazil, the son of an acclaimed novelist who yearns to be a great author himself, though when we meet him, he writes obituaries for a newspaper. As befits an obituary writer, Brás is fascinated by death and life -- legacies -- what we leave behind, what our lives meant in the end.

Most of the chapters focus on one pivotal day in Brás' life, though not always in chronological order -- his first kiss, his first love, the disaster that launched his career, the birth of his son, the publication of his first novel, the fate of his best friend -- and at the end of that day, Brás dies. That's the end; however far he made it, whatever he got to do, that's now his legacy.

But then in the next chapter, he's back, his story advances further. And then he dies.

But then he's back, etc.

This isn't meant to be magic, it's fiction. We're supposed to overlook the concluding page or two of the previous chapter and just move onward.

Does Brás die tragically as a boy? Or an old man, fulfilled by a loving family and satisfying career? Or somewhere in between? We're never entirely sure where he really stepped out of the narrative. We're watching someone else live a Choose Your Own Adventure book. Along the way, though, we wonder, along with Brás, about what's truly important, and what we'll regret or not regret when that final moment comes.

#601062 - 09/28/12 04:47 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Lawson]
shjonescrk Offline

Originally Posted By: Lawson
DAYTRIPPER

By Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá

Wow.

Just ... wow.

DAYTRIPPER was a 10-issue mini-series published by DC/Vertigo in 2010. It deservedly won an Eisner Award, a Harvey Award and an Eagle Award.

Now it's collected in trade paperback, and it's beautiful, the story and the art, beautiful, thoughtful, touching, something unique and wonderful in funnybooks.

The story is about Brás de Oliva Domingos of Brazil, the son of an acclaimed novelist who yearns to be a great author himself, though when we meet him, he writes obituaries for a newspaper. As befits an obituary writer, Brás is fascinated by death and life -- legacies -- what we leave behind, what our lives meant in the end.

Most of the chapters focus on one pivotal day in Brás' life, though not always in chronological order -- his first kiss, his first love, the disaster that launched his career, the birth of his son, the publication of his first novel, the fate of his best friend -- and at the end of that day, Brás dies. That's the end; however far he made it, whatever he got to do, that's now his legacy.

But then in the next chapter, he's back, his story advances further. And then he dies.

But then he's back, etc.

This isn't meant to be magic, it's fiction. We're supposed to overlook the concluding page or two of the previous chapter and just move onward.

Does Brás die tragically as a boy? Or an old man, fulfilled by a loving family and satisfying career? Or somewhere in between? We're never entirely sure where he really stepped out of the narrative. We're watching someone else live a Choose Your Own Adventure book. Along the way, though, we wonder, along with Brás, about what's truly important, and what we'll regret or not regret when that final moment comes.

Daytripper was a very good comic with some very nice art indeed. Completely different from most of the stuff out there.

#601065 - 09/28/12 09:59 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Moonshadow for navel-gazers.

#601079 - 09/29/12 06:50 AM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
shjonescrk Offline

I gave up on Moonshadow. I'll have to try again as I hate having not read something I've bought.

#601080 - 09/29/12 08:48 AM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

I need to buy it again. I loaned out my copy and read it so many times myself, some of the pages have come loose.

#601081 - 09/29/12 10:09 AM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Strenuous Teddy Offline

King City. I think it was Dylan Horrocks who once talked about how in Tolkien's books you have the feeling that you could enter the world and wander off from the action over some hill. King City feels just like that in every panel. I'm very happy to finally have gotten the chance to read the whole thing.

Naruto volume Fifty-I-Can't Believe-I've-Bought-So-Many-of-These-Something-or-Other. I don't know if anyone here is reading this series so far in but if so, has anyone else noticed a drop in the script quality for this or other Shonen titles? It seems that over the past several volumes the script has been frequently awkward and borderline incoherent at times like something was lost in translation. It's killing the book for me. Flipping through the credits I noticed that for the bulk of the series they have had separate credits for translation and adaptation and now they just have a translator credit. And that is exactly how it has been reading, like there was no effort to rewrite the script in a way that reads well in English.

Between this and the dumb way Yen Press handles sound effects in Yotsuba it really makes me appreciate the old school effort put into localizing books like Oh My Goddess.

#601083 - 09/29/12 04:19 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Strenuous Teddy]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
Well said, Teddy. King City is great!

Naruto -- I gave up on this series when Shonen Jump went all-digital, and I had only been skimming it for a while before that. I hope you are right that the translation is responsible for the incoherent writing, since it seemed to go off the rails long ago.

It is pretty amazing how good some of the translation on some manga series used to be. Like, complicated jokes and puns that would have made no sense in a straight word-for-word translation, but the translator/adaptor managed to come up with something that was both funny and still true to the author's intent. This was an area where annotations actually were helpful, at one time.

Come to think of it, the translations on Tintin and Asterix books were brilliant, back in the day. Like remember the jungle tribe Tintin met once that spoke a gibberish language, but when you sounded it out it was all Cockney slang? Apparently that was all some kind of similarly-disguised Belgian street slang in the original French. That's real intellectual work, there, coming up with that kind of thing.

All that said, I don't mind the sound effects technique used in books like Yotsuba and others, where they leave the original Japanese characters and put translations in the margins or nearby. Since the original characters are a graphic part of the image, it makes sense to leave them there in that case.

Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley