Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#600024 - 08/07/12 10:22 AM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Lawson]
Allen Montgomery Offline

I liked Atomic Robo when it first came out. It didn't really grab me and hold me like Mark Crilley's Akiko, though. I think the main turn-off for me was the continual cycle of new #1's. That's why I can't follow Hellboy.

edit: I see they're putting "Volume" numbers under the issue numbers now. I suppose that would make it easier to follow.

#600030 - 08/07/12 11:45 AM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
I only buy trades these days, and most publishers dutifully put volume numbers on the spines to help me out.

#600047 - 08/07/12 04:24 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Lawson]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
After seeing the disappointing new Spider-man movie, it inspired me to dig out my old Marvel Tales featuring Spidey. Hey, the art is a bit crude and not helped because they are reprints and Stan Lee is wordy to say the least but they are top stuff compared to most of the other stuff that Marvel was producing.

#600053 - 08/08/12 12:07 AM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
Atomic Robo is great! Each of the volumes, or mini-series, takes place in a different time period, and each is a complete story. They haven't let me down yet.

Fun Fact: the writer, Brian Clevinger, first came to semi-public awareness writing funny, juvenile web-comics that my kids loved but which I thought were too stupid and juvenile. But he apparently grew up, and is now producing work that appeals to all generations while retaining his sense of humor.

#600062 - 08/08/12 09:50 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
ChrisW Offline

Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Peter Bagge's "Reset" was quite fun, although I haven't read them together and the fourth issue seemed a little disconnected from the others.

I also have several issues of PAD's "X-Factor" which continues to be entertaining, even if I really don't have much interest or affection left for the characters.

I re-read "Dropsie Avenue" recently. Still arguably the greatest graphic novel ever.

"I think ChrisW is the funniest man in entertainment still alive..."
-- the perceptive Tom Spurgeon

#600064 - 08/08/12 10:25 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: ChrisW]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Currently reading the super-serious Crossing Boundaries in Graphic Narrative: Essays on Forms, Series and Genres, Jake Jakaitis and James F. Wurtz (editors). Essentially it's a study of the politics behind some of the events in comic book continuity, as well as how real-world politics have reflected on the comics. Way too much credence is given to Scott McCloud's dopey book(s), but it's an interesting read nonetheless.

#600072 - 08/09/12 12:48 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
shjonescrk Offline

Flex Mentallo. I got this from library and it was very, very good. This is Quitely's best art by far, certainly better than All-Star Superman. Even the story is coherent (mostly). One of Morrison's better efforts.

#600074 - 08/09/12 03:03 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
shjonescrk Offline

Got a week off work and doing nothing so I read Tintin in Tibet. Lovely art, a joy to behold and the story was ok too.

#600378 - 08/23/12 05:29 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
shjonescrk Offline

Punk Rock Jesus 1 & 2. I loved the art and it's quite a clever, crazy idea. I think the title is cool as well.

I re-read Criminal #5 - The Sinners - a day or two ago. Though it's a gritty crime book, it really should be read as a fantasy as it bears no relation to the real world. Still, the story was good and the art by Sean Phillips is top notch. Are Brubaker & Phillips going to anymore of these?

#600675 - 08/29/12 01:07 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
KAMANDI, THE LAST BOY ON EARTH

Story and art by Jack Kirby

Someone knowing my love of Jack Kirby recently gave me a big stack of old KAMANDI comics from the mid-1970s.

Man, this was crazy stuff! The Great Disaster ravaged the Earth at the close of the 20th century, destroying human civilization and bestowing superior intelligence on some of the animal species, such as apes and lions. Humans are now little better than grunting mammals hunted for amusement -- except for Kamandi, who somehow retains all of the brains, guts and beautiful blond hair we associate with humanity.

This is an adventure comic with plenty of action, plenty of explosive splash pages, set against a sad and kooky backdrop of a post-apocalyptic Earth as imagined by Kirby. New York City is flooded to the tops of its skyscrapers, for example, but Chicago remains a gangster's paradise, circa 1930.

A lot of people say this was Kirby's best Bronze Age work at DC, compared to his Fourth World titles, THE DEMON and OMAC. I dunno if that's true, but so far, it's a lot of fun.

Unlike some of Kirby's other DC work, which was short-lived, KAMANDI sold well and evidently continued after he grew irritated with DC and jumped back to Marvel. Paul Levitz, Gerry Conway, Keith Giffin and others cranked out a couple more years of the title before it got axed in the DC Implosion of 1978. I dunno that I'd care to read KAMANDI by anyone other than Kirby, though. It was his baby.

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley