Page 20 of 25 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 24 25 >
Topic Options
#601643 - 12/21/12 04:39 AM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Rorschach #3...

Rorschach, still identifying himself as "Walter" in 1977 (two years after the Blaire Roche incident), asks the waitress out on a date. He flashes cash at her that he stole from some generic bust he makes in a seedy hotel on the first few pages. Oh, and he gets a cab ride from Robert DeNiro. Whilst waiting for his girlfriend to get off work at the Gunga Diner, he stakes out a strip joint belonging to the rough-complected pimp ("Rawhead"). Just as he's about to get into an altercation with some of the pimp's boys, there's one of those infamous 1970's New York City power blackouts. Closes with some unidentified man greeting Kovacs' girlfriend saying he can't make the date (I'm guessing it's DeNiro).

Very inconsistent art. Some panels were very obviously staged from photo reference, some actually are doctored photos, while many appear extremely rushed with very dodgy proportions and likeness consistency. The typography in Rorschach's journal is back to being almost perfect again, with only one stray spacebar to be found.

Alt cover by someone named Chip Kidd, who I'd never heard of before. It's kind of a crappy Dave McKean wannabe photo manipulation. Apparently he'd already been involved in another unauthorized rip-off, providing another crappy photo manipulation cover to Gary Spencer Millidge's bibliography/hagiography Alan Moore: Storyteller.

#601648 - 12/21/12 01:36 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Allen Montgomery]

Did my comics order this morning and noticed that Dr. Manhattan #4 is just now soliciting. Interesting.

#601653 - 12/21/12 11:59 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Jimbo Offline

Loc: New Zealand/Canada
I thought you just read them, do you actually pay for them too?

#601654 - 12/22/12 05:30 AM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Jimbo]

I download BW off ZCult. I actually purchase other comics and Westfield sends me their solicitation catalog every month to order from. My comics buying is way down, though, thanks to bullshit like Before Watchmen. I even dumped Popeye this month because Roger Langridge is writing a Rocketeer miniseries (and Popeye shows up on ZCult anyway).

My December order:

Creepy Comics #11
Dark Horse Presents #21
High Ways #2 (New John Byrne mini)
Lorelei: Sects & The City (Eliseu Gouveia artwork)
Nemo: Heart of Ice HC (Alan Moore & Kevin O'Neill League spin-off)
Womanthology: Space #5
Zed: A Cosmic Tale SC (collecting Michel Gagne's great comic)

Stuff I passed up:

Damsels #6 (Moore's daughter and her boyfriend's comic. I'm trade-waiting)
Popeye #10
Fashion Beast #6 (trade-waiting)
Peanuts v19 (way cheaper on Amazon)
a bunch of Bible adaptations illustrated by Danny Bulanadi (do something original, Dan)
Muse HC (illustrated by Terry Dodson, $28 for a hundred pages is too much)
Al Capp: A Life to the Contrary (cheaper on Amazon)
Of Comics & Men: A Cultural History of American Comic Books (cheaper on Amazon)
Albert Dorne: Master Illustrator (cheaper on Amazon)

#601655 - 12/22/12 01:37 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Jimbo Offline

Loc: New Zealand/Canada
Ohh, okay. I still think it's weird that you waste time reading books you don't like, but at least you're not spending money on them.

#601657 - 12/22/12 02:57 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Jimbo]
Gerald Offline

@Allen Montgomery

I'm not a fan of DC's lettering either. I think comicraft does their work digitally and it comes out good. But when you notice DC's it's very distracting. I hate when they're trying to affect handwriting, and instead of actually hand writing the text, they use a "handwriting" text. It's weird because we pay more for comics that are produced with cutting edge technology and the paper quality and lettering in an 80s Comico issue is superior.

Chip Kidd is well known graphic designer usually designing book covers. He does some excellent work like the Japanese novel "Spiral" and did the titlework for DC's All-Star lineup, The Dark Knight Returns etc.

I'm surprised how unappealing the Rorschach cover is. It looks like he just took a picture of himself with his gloved hand to his face and put a rorshach blot over it.

#601660 - 12/26/12 11:00 AM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Gerald]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
Originally Posted By: Gerald
It's weird because we pay more for comics that are produced with cutting edge technology and the paper quality and lettering in an 80s Comico issue is superior.

Not all "progress" is actually progress. And speaking of Comico, I'm reading some old Jonny Quest books they did and they're not at all bad. Do today's fans appreciate or even know about the indy publishers of the 1980s?

Mike

#601663 - 12/27/12 02:43 AM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: MBunge]
Gerald Offline

I think the problem is, as the comic industry continues to shrink, the talent pool is getting smaller because less people realize there's less and less to be made in that business, and the big companies are probably cutting corners and having letterers take on more issues than usual a month and that's why everything has roughly the same exact font style.

I was always was impressed with Tom Orzechowski. Wiki'ing him right now and apparently once the publishers started using in-house letterer teams, people like Orzechowski lost work.

#601671 - 12/28/12 10:17 AM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Gerald]

Moloch #2...

Only two issues on this one, so it's done pretty quick. I guess there was only so much filler Straczynski could shove into this little character. Captain Carnage might only get a one-shot.

So we get to see what Jacobi's job for Veidt was: busy work checking for inconsistencies in computer printouts and delivering cigarettes to Janey Slater. No mention of Pyramid Transcontinental, and Veidt has a strangely hands-on approach to his work. Veidt even explains his squid plans to Jacobi before shooting him in the head (another whole panel of nothing but a "BLAM" sound effect). We end with Rorschach entering Jacobi's apartment for the second time. How's that for creativity.

Several references this time to Gibbons' original art, whereas in the first issue there were none. A large panel of Veidt's desk and the window behind it; a whole page of the Blake break-in (with a sound effect added) and the Rorschach break-in which prefaced it; Blake's descent (a cityscape splash page with very incorrect perspective, and Risso draws Blake with two right feet for some reason... remind me again how many editors were on this project?); the Dr. Manhattan ABC News interview (as seen by Jacobi on TV); and Risso finally drops into the nine-panel grid for the last three pages.

Alt cover by a British kid named Olly Moss. I'd never heard of him before, as this is his first comics work. I found his dot-com, though, and he looks to be one of those graphic design kids who wouldn't know what to do if the power went out and all he had was a pencil and some paper.

#601692 - 01/01/13 08:05 AM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Gerald]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
Originally Posted By: Gerald
I think the problem is, as the comic industry continues to shrink, the talent pool is getting smaller because less people realize there's less and less to be made in that business, and the big companies are probably cutting corners and having letterers take on more issues than usual a month and that's why everything has roughly the same exact font style.

I was always was impressed with Tom Orzechowski. Wiki'ing him right now and apparently once the publishers started using in-house letterer teams, people like Orzechowski lost work.

The comics industry shrinking? Every time I go into Forbidden Planet in Glasgow they seem to have more and more comics from more and more publishers for sale. There are shelves upon shelves of graphic novels. It is not shrinking - it is changing. There's probably never been a better time to be a comics fan.

Page 20 of 25 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 24 25 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley