Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#598965 - 06/25/12 08:06 PM Re: pt anderson's "the master" [Re: Ted Kilvington]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Chaykin and Helfer's Shadow runs are some of the greatest comics ever.

#598966 - 06/25/12 08:13 PM Re: pt anderson's "the master" [Re: Jimbo]

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Why didn't you like There Will Be Blood?

Structurally, there was a lot of extraneous material that didn't contribute to the theme, making the extended run time unnecessary. Paul Dano (Liam Neeson's cloned offspring) in two unrelated roles, for absolutely no reason. Unsubtle acting, awkward ending.

#598969 - 06/25/12 09:28 PM Re: pt anderson's "the master" [Re: Ted Kilvington]
granfalloon Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Thanks for the information, Ted. I was completely unaware of that. I haven't read it but (like everyone else) I am a Sienkiewicz fan and I am sure that I would enjoy it. It has to be inspired by Hubbard. I'll have to add that to my very short list of Scientology inspired comic stories.

I suspect, though, that the Chaykin story came later. Here is why-- In 1991, Time Magazine did a cover story on Scientology called, "The Thriving Cult of Greed and Power". Scientology sued Time for 1/2 billion dollars. I believe the suit was thrown out of court. At any rate, Time won. However, they spent 10 million dollars fighting it.

Thereafter Time pussyfooted around Scientology. Examples-- once they mentioned Scientology and noted that their courses can cost hundreds of dollars. Now, their courses and therapies can run into hundreds of thousands and some have even spent a million but Time played it down. At the end of the century, Time had an internet pole for things like "athlete of the century" and "entertainer of the century". One of "fraud of the century" and L.Ron had the lead by a mile. Time just took the pole down. They plainly did not want to get into Scientology's bad books again.

Now, Time and DC are both owned by parent company Time Warner. The story goes, and we would need Chaykin here to confirm or deny it, that his series was proposed after the 1991 lawsuit. DC got cold feet.

#598971 - 06/26/12 05:58 AM Re: pt anderson's "the master" [Re: granfalloon]
madget Offline

Quote:
Paul Dano (Liam Neeson's cloned offspring) in two unrelated roles, for absolutely no reason.

This is something I was sure I was going to see more of a reason for on repeat viewings. Even Plainview himself seems confused by the similarity when he first meets Eli in the film. I thought maybe Paul was Eli all along, and that it was either intentional on Eli's part or that maybe Eli had a split personality or *something* like that, but, nothing like that seems to be the case. I'm sure there is *some* kind of rationale behind this dual-casting, but I've never been able to get the bottom of it, and I've never discerned anything within the movie that renders it anything more than needlessly confusing. It reminds me a little of Faulkner calling both the brother and the baby (girl!) "Quentin" in The Sound and the Fury. Difficult enough trying to comprehend that book w/o using the same character name twice.

K

#598972 - 06/26/12 06:01 AM Re: pt anderson's "the master" [Re: madget]
madget Offline

I was surprised this is still around but this is the website that first got me interested in Scientology. If you delve into the links a bit, it's like an episode of Twin Peaks.

http://www.lisamcpherson.org/

K

#598981 - 06/26/12 11:45 AM Re: pt anderson's "the master" [Re: madget]
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
There's also the enjoyable New Yorker article on Paul Haggis leaving the Church.

#598982 - 06/26/12 11:53 AM Re: pt anderson's "the master" [Re: madget]
Charles Reece Offline

If I remember correctly, Anderson decided at the last minute to give both roles to Dano. Originally, the brother was going to be a different actor.

I think the film is pretty weak outside of Plainview, probably Anderson's weakest effort ... at least, narratively speaking. You kind of use the film up after one viewing. (But Allen is daft thinking McKee and Jones are anywhere close to Anderson's level of filmmaking. Neither has made a film that's as good as Hard Eight. Jodorowsky ain't much of a writer, but his visuals are pretty incredible.)

#598984 - 06/26/12 12:20 PM Re: pt anderson's "the master" [Re: Charles Reece]

Originally Posted By: Charles Reece
Allen is daft thinking McKee and Jones are anywhere close to Anderson's level of filmmaking.

Give either of them some money and watch. Mark Pellington is another one. P.J. Pesce, another.

Neither has made a film that's as good as Hard Eight.

I'll have to watch that. Hope it's not another Robert Altman, uh, "homage," though.

Jodorowsky ain't much of a writer

Read his comics. He's a great writer. His movies were more about relating his personal relationship with the universe in an allegorical fashion, rather than telling a straight narrative.

#598986 - 06/26/12 01:17 PM Re: pt anderson's "the master" [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Charles Reece Offline

"Read his comics."

I have. They're terrible. (You might enjoy this discussion.)

"Give either of them some money and watch."

I'm betting that THE WOMAN had just as big a budget as HARD EIGHT. Now, I like McKee, but come on ... Even if you reduce them to the script level, Anderson is just so much more advanced. The latter is just one of those guys who came out fully formed. Trying to reduce him to a Altman clone or a Scorsese clone, when his stories are really quite different, whereas someone like Jones does competent spins on some well-trodden scifi conventions, is pretty silly.

#598988 - 06/26/12 01:37 PM Re: pt anderson's "the master" [Re: Charles Reece]

Now, I like McKee, but come on ... Even if you reduce them to the script level, Anderson is just so much more advanced.

You say advanced, I say muddled. And anyway, I'm not talking about the script. I'm talking about the direction, the way the images are composed and move on the screen. McKee and Jones have style, Anderson has expensive lenses.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley