Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#593070 - 11/11/11 02:32 PM Re: atlas shrugged, part 1. [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Ceci n'est pas une chaussette Offline

Ah ha ha ha! Hang on to that DVD, Allen. It's solid plastic irony now.

http://blog.atlasshruggedmovie.com/2011/11/atlas-shrugged-inadvertently-releases.html

#593080 - 11/11/11 06:08 PM Re: atlas shrugged, part 1. [Re: Ceci n'est pas une chaussette]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Huh. Well how about that.

The back-cover synopsis goes:

"AYN RAND"S timeless novel of courage and self-sacrifice comes to life for a new millennium. The year is 2016 and America is on the verge of economic disaster. The greatest citizens are being targeted and dark forces are working to bring about America's final days. Our only hope for salvation lies with Dagny Taggart and Henry Rearden, rugged individualists whose bold ideas may have the power to spark a revolution and reclaim the American Dream."

Obviously the "self-sacrifice" bit is outright contradictory to the gist of the source material, but the whole blurb is very sloppily conceived.

#593081 - 11/11/11 06:12 PM Re: atlas shrugged, part 1. [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Oh, and I should add, Wal-Mart didn't have this. Best Buy only had one copy of the DVD (and no BluRay). It wasn't in the New Release section, no one in the store even knew they had it (much less what category it was supposed to be in), and the case had been turned around on the shelf with the name hidden.

The Free Market speaks.

#600723 - 09/02/12 05:50 AM Re: atlas shrugged, part 1. [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Allen Montgomery Offline

I bet you thought the October surprise was going to be the confirmation of Bain Capital's history of tax evasion, Mitt Romney being brought up on charges. Nope! It's Atlas Shrugged Part 2 in theaters 10/12.

#600726 - 09/02/12 03:08 PM Re: atlas shrugged, part 1. [Re: madget]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
I wonder if Part 2 is going to be as lame or if they'll tap into the glorious weirdness of The Fountainhead. That movie was like looking at the world through the eyes of a crazy person.

Mike

#600727 - 09/02/12 03:55 PM Re: atlas shrugged, part 1. [Re: MBunge]
Allen Montgomery Offline

I just heard about it yesterday, so I don't know much about it yet. The biggest point of interest thus far is the complete re-cast of the principal players. Apparently, the producers were either too cheap or too stupid to retain the original cast for the sequels THEY HAD PLANNED FROM THE BEGINNING, and for whatever reasons (the pitiful box office return and the critical savaging AS1 took, probably chief among them) those folks chose not to return. This new cast is noticeably older, with even less impressive filmographies. The joke is that part 3 will get re-cast again.

Interesting that they're shooting for a pre-election release. If it plays near me, I'll go see it.

#601190 - 10/07/12 12:53 AM Re: atlas shrugged, part 1. [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Allen Montgomery Offline

A commercial for AS2 yesterday said "in theaters everywhere." Hard to believe this one is going to get more screens than the first one.

#601261 - 10/13/12 12:47 AM Re: atlas shrugged, part 1. [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Allen Montgomery Offline

I went with a group of people to see Seven Psychopaths but couldn't talk anybody into sticking around for Atlas Shrugged. So I watched it alone. Of the other twelve people in the theater, there were four other loner guys. In the four couples, all the men were hunched over to their women whispering explanations through the whole movie and they weren't interested at all in the trailers.

The movie was about as bad as I expected. CGI for the train wreck and the airplane chase was some of the worst stuff I've ever seen that wasn't on SyFy. Score pieces get recycled many times. The set for the accident at the steel mill looked like something from a sitcom. Several transitions were done with very cheap looking swipe-fades. Supposedly this time they had a fifty percent BIGGER budget! I'm guessing a lot of that must have gone to distribution since AS2 is playing at five theaters near me, as opposed to AS1 only playing at one theater on the other side of town. Also, TV commercials.

The run time was under two hours, so the extra-talky second act got seriously compressed. The Ayn Rand strawmen were even more ridiculous and cartoony than in the first movie. Francisco's "money is the root of all good" speech clocked under a minute-and-a-half.

The actress playing Dagny this time is older and fatter. Every re-casted actor was even less of what might have been derived from the book than any of the original cast. Many notable has-beens here and there. I felt especially sorry for Diedrich Bader, Michael Gross and Patricia Tallman. Teller (of Penn &...) has a small speaking(!) role. Sean Hannity and some other Fox News douchebags show up, too.

#601304 - 10/26/12 11:28 AM Re: atlas shrugged, part 1. [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
AS2 is playing at five theaters near me

Down to one theater this week.

#601350 - 10/30/12 11:03 AM Re: atlas shrugged, part 1. [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Allen Montgomery Offline

And now it is GONE.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley