Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#601289 - 10/23/12 08:37 PM So that was the debates.
Allen Montgomery Online   content

After so much was made of Eric Fehrnstrom's "Etch-a-Sketch" comment, I didn't believe Mitt would actually try to do it this late in the game, and certainly not that brazenly. The president could have answered almost every Mitt comment in Debate 3 with, "Thank you for your support and reiterating my policies." I don't understand how this slimy salesman is anywhere near President Obama in the polls. Okay, yes, I do understand, but I would have seriously hoped we'd be past that as a nation by now.

#601290 - 10/24/12 11:35 AM Re: So that was the debates. [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
It's unsettling when people are happy about politicians who "change their tone" during the final days of a campaign.

"He's pivoted to the middle," they say approvingly. "He sounds much less extreme now than he did in the primaries. This is such a wise strategy, to soften what he sounds like now."

That flexibility means the politician in question either (a) is lying to us now about what he plans to do to us or (b) doesn't stand for anything in particular except winning the election, right?

#601291 - 10/24/12 12:52 PM Re: So that was the debates. [Re: Allen Montgomery]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
If Obama squeaks this out, I have to wonder how big a reason will be right-wing media NOT pounding the crap out of the economy and instead spending weeks at the end of the campaign fetishizing the Benghazi attack.

Mike

#601292 - 10/24/12 04:11 PM Re: So that was the debates. [Re: MBunge]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
"I have a deal for the president, a deal that I don't believe he can refuse, and I hope he doesn't. If Barack Obama opens up and gives his college records and applications, and if he gives his passport applications and records, I will give, to a charity of his choice—inner-city children in Chicago, American Cancer Society, AIDS research, anything he wants—a check, immediately, for $5 million."

- Occasional Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump today

#601295 - 10/25/12 12:22 AM Re: So that was the debates. [Re: Lawson]

I liked Lawrence O'Donnell's response to Tagg Romney's saying he wanted to "take a swing" at the president. I hadn't noticed previously how much Mitt's kids look like Christian Bale. Also, I'm wondering if "Taggart" is another Ayn Rand reference.

#601296 - 10/25/12 02:14 AM Re: So that was the debates. [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Gerald Offline

That was a stupid comment by Tagg Romney. Can't do it because 1) there's secret service and 2) that's the nature of the political process. How about because adults shouldn't resort to physical violence just because someone hurt your feelings?

I youtubed the Lawrence O'Donnell clip you mentioned and it seemed equally immature.

#601297 - 10/25/12 02:22 AM Re: So that was the debates. [Re: Lawson]
Gerald Offline

Originally Posted By: Lawson
"I have a deal for the president, a deal that I don't believe he can refuse, and I hope he doesn't. If Barack Obama opens up and gives his college records and applications, and if he gives his passport applications and records, I will give, to a charity of his choice—inner-city children in Chicago, American Cancer Society, AIDS research, anything he wants—a check, immediately, for $5 million."

- Occasional Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump today

Donald Trump sounds like Lex Luthor. How about instead of giving the President some kind of strange political ultimatum, he just donates $5 million to inner city children, AIDS research, regardless?

Has Romney released his tax records from the last 10 years?

Edited by Gerald (10/25/12 02:25 AM)

#601299 - 10/25/12 06:39 PM Re: So that was the debates. [Re: Gerald]

Stephen Colbert offered to pay Trump a million SuperPAC dollars to dunk his (Colbert's) balls in Trump's mouth. Immature, yeah. But the R-tards want to turn this into some kind of sporting event, so let's go. O'Donnell called dibs on Taggart, I'd gladly take on any of the other Stepford Sons.

#601300 - 10/25/12 06:59 PM Re: So that was the debates. [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Gerald Offline

It's been a sporting event for a long time. Both sides have their team colors, pejoratives for members of the other team, cheerleaders, and the applauding of scoring political points.

Consistently lowering the bar just because the other side does it is a weak excuse.

#601301 - 10/25/12 07:47 PM Re: So that was the debates. [Re: Gerald]

It's possible to be both right and capable of putting up a fight. As the Republican douchebags are going to find out if they keep pushing. As Wyatt Cenac once said, "If they want 'Second Amendment Solutions,' we've got guns, too."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >