Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#601361 - 10/31/12 09:55 PM Re: atlas shrugged, part 1. [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
The moviegoing public shrugged.

#601363 - 10/31/12 10:39 PM Re: atlas shrugged, part 1. [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

The budget numbers have been adjusted for the first movie since I last looked at it a week or so ago. Now it says the first movie had a budget of $20M and the second $10M. Formerly it said the first one had a budget of $6M.

Box office for the first one is reported as $4.5M, I don't know whether that includes DVD sales and rentals. Box office for part II is $2.8M.

I don't know how the third one will get made with a $22.7M cumulative loss.

#601364 - 11/01/12 01:21 PM Re: atlas shrugged, part 1. [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Mr. Socko Offline

Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
I don't know how the third one will get made with a $22.7M cumulative loss.

American exceptionalism, the power of private enterprise, and the invisible hand of the free market.

#601365 - 11/01/12 01:39 PM Re: atlas shrugged, part 1. [Re: Mr. Socko]
Ceci n'est pas une chaussette Offline

Heh.

Seriously though, you'll notice they had to get an entirely new director, screenwriter, and cast for the second one. The stink of failure was on this franchise from the first film. But Aglialoro has been trying to get the movie made for decades... it's an ideological quest for him.

#601451 - 11/14/12 05:47 AM Re: atlas shrugged, part 1. [Re: Ceci n'est pas une chaussette]
Ed Gauthier Offline

Loc: California
Then Agli's stinking "quest" failed miserably. Ditko was nuts for even reading that garbage in the first place. And don't worry - little old two-faced Annie Randy cashed her SS check from the gubmint money store every month just like everybody else, folks.

#601454 - 11/14/12 10:28 AM Re: atlas shrugged, part 1. [Re: Ed Gauthier]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
Originally Posted By: Ed Gauthier
Ditko was nuts for even reading that garbage in the first place.

I've been thinking about how great a Mr. A movie would be if if kept him an unrelenting Randian absolutist but had ever other character behave like normal people. It would start out like a super-hero flick and then gradually morph into something closer to a horror movie.

Mike

#601457 - 11/14/12 07:20 PM Re: atlas shrugged, part 1. [Re: MBunge]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

From the BBC In Search of Steve Ditko: "Watchmen writer Alan Moore has related a story about an acquaintance who said he asked Ditko about whether he was familiar with Rorschach. Reportedly, Ditko acknowledged, describing Rorschach as being 'like Mr. A except insane'."

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley