Page 17 of 25 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
#601256 - 10/10/12 09:13 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Jimbo Offline

Loc: New Zealand/Canada
Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
Rorschach #2... continuing the catchphrase-laden takedown of some rough-complected pimp.

Kovacs apparently has a girlfriend, a waitress at (WHERE ELSE??) the Gunga Diner. The (black) cook says something about forcing his knocked-up girlfriend to go on welfare and Kovacs interjects with an Ayn Rand-ism, albeit inadvertently. I wonder how they'll dispose of the waitress.

I hadn't noticed previously that this takes place in 1977, two years after the transformative Blaire Roche kidnapping incident. Interesting that Rorschach intervenes in a situation of one of the pimp's strongarms roughing up a hooker, and has nothing to say to or about the hooker.

I thought the typewriter style captions in #1 were just Rorschach's internal dialogue, but apparently it's what he's already begun putting in his journal. There are strikethrough typos this time and they even show the typewriter.

Internal ad for a Hellblazer collection written by Azzarello, with a gushing blurb from... Alan Moore. I'm guessing that wasn't recent.

Alt cover by Mark Simpson (under his moronic "Jock" pseudonym) dashing off yet another of his cheap Sienkiewicz-esque regurgitations.

Why do you read Before Watchmen? I mean, I'm pretty sure you don't pay for them, but reading something you know you're not going to like anyway seems like a huge waste of time. Is it just so you can complain in better detail?

I'm genuinely curious, it seems odd.

#601257 - 10/10/12 09:39 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Jimbo]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Why do you read Before Watchmen?

"Know thy enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles, you will never be defeated." -- Sun Tzu

#601265 - 10/13/12 12:58 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Jimbo Offline

Loc: New Zealand/Canada
So...Before Watchmen is your enemy?

#601266 - 10/13/12 01:55 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Jimbo]
Allen Montgomery Offline

The people who would perpetrate such an atrocity, yes.

#601277 - 10/17/12 02:11 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Doctor Manhattan #2...

Straczynski continues the weak Schrodinger's Cat storyline, which allows Adam Hughes to re-use a lot of art, one page being completely reproduced twice. Apparently Janie's selection of one dressing room or the other has something to do with the outcome of the Cuban Missile Crisis. Big missed opportunity for a classic "Not an Imaginary Story!" cover. Assistant editor Camilla Zhang contributes a puff piece, presumably to keep working for Time-Warner after this debacle erodes DC Comics into a reprint husk in a couple of years.

Alt cover by P. Craig Russell. I've always admired his artwork, but was also generally ambivalent about it. I'll guess he signed on because he thought he was going to get to draw the big blue dong. Sad he had to get involved in this dirty business.

#601302 - 10/25/12 08:32 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Minutemen #4...

More "Hidden Years" bullshit, unnecessarily connecting all of Watchmen's disparate dots. New revelation that Hollis Nite Owl and Mothman were once a team like Drieberg Nite Owl and Rorschach were a team. Sally dons some biker boots and brass knuckles to beat the crap out of the villain who killed Silhouette and her lady-friend, then berates Captain Metropolis and Hooded Justice for being "hypocritical" (you know what Cooke is talking about). While Sally is mourning at Silhouette's grave, Blake arrives to also pay his respects and... yeah, guess what event that leads to.

Blake tells Sally a story from his being deployed into the Pacific theater of WWII (another new development) which flips the script on his gross mistreatment and murder of the Vietnamese woman. Some generic crotchety (and heretofore unknown) Marine captain is apparently to blame for Blake's personality disorder. Rework of the popular "Kilroy Was Here" grafitti into a Comedian symbol.

The art was no worse than usual from Cooke. Page layouts were extremely erratic, though, employing the 3x3 grid occasionally and falling away from it when Cooke can't make the pacing fit. At least there doesn't seem to be any anachronisms this time.

Alt cover by Steve Rude (strangely, Mothman is the lone figure on Cooke's cover, but is obscured by the logo and cut off at the top of the page on Rude's). I felt like Rude must not be too bright in the way he conducted his "Rude Dude Productions" business, a feeling that was amplified when he was arrested for fighting with his neighbor. Now I know he's dirt stupid.

#601305 - 10/26/12 02:46 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
While Sally is mourning at Silhouette's grave, Blake arrives to also pay his respects and... yeah, guess what event that leads to.

Guh. sick

Glad I'm skipping all this.

Though I loved WATCHMEN, I always thought Laurie's parentage was a weak point in the story. Blake beat the shit out of Sally and either raped her or tried to. And this was all in character for Blake, who was a monster. That she would later be seduced by Blake made no sense to me. As Moore wrote her, Sally was a strong-willed woman. I don't see her hooking up with her rapist and then tearfully kissing his photo.

Given that, I also don't think I'd enjoy Cooke's drawn-out depiction of the event.

#601367 - 11/02/12 03:29 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Lawson]
Public Account Offline

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/11/02/dc-announce-before-watchmen-dollar-bill/

"DC Announces Before Watchmen: Dollar Bill by Len Wein and Steve Rude"

#601368 - 11/02/12 07:51 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Public Account]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Apparently Rude hasn't yet paid off his lawyer bills.

#601371 - 11/03/12 01:37 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Mr. Socko Offline

Page 17 of 25 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 24 25 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley