Page 7 of 12 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 >
Topic Options
#601288 - 10/22/12 05:11 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
Urasawa does have a great gift, which he shares with a few other manga artists and very few western artists, for making his characters distinctive and recognizable, even at different ages and in different clothing and hairstyles.

I'd love to see his version of the Legion of Super-Heroes! But on the other hand, maybe he's already done that with 20th Century Boys.

#601366 - 11/01/12 03:29 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
I've finished 20th Century Boys but now I have to wait until next year for 21st Century Boys. As I said before it is very, very good.

Re-reading Death Note - nice art and a cracking story. L is my hero.

Just read the first two issues of the new Daredevil. It's okay, art is a bit simplistic. The British reprints of Marvel Comics are top notch - 80 pages of reprints (and mostly new stuff) in glorious colour and only 3 quid which is about 5 dollars. DC also do the same and I pick up the odd one from time to time.

#601383 - 11/05/12 03:06 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Gerald Offline

Originally Posted By: Peter Urkowitz
Urasawa does have a great gift, which he shares with a few other manga artists and very few western artists, for making his characters distinctive and recognizable, even at different ages and in different clothing and hairstyles.

I just got a manga book by that artist. The line work is more simplified than the American superhero art I'm used to, and yet the faces look much more expressive and appealing. I'm going to have to get used to reading from right to left.

#601388 - 11/05/12 03:43 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Gerald]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

A decade or so ago, American editions of Japanese comcs were almost always flipped. Not a big deal since they had to be re-lettered anyway. You want *AUTHENTIC* Japanese comics, learn to read Japanese. But it wasn't "pure" enough for the sensitive little manga kids, so now we're stuck with all this right-to-left stuff.

#601397 - 11/06/12 01:53 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
Learn Japanese? You're having a laugh!

I prefer the right-to-left versions. Just read Tezuka's "Message to Adolf" volume 1 (which I highly recommend) and it had been flipped and it didn't quite look right. Characters were shown shaking hands left handed and the Nazis were doing the salute left handed which is not right. Then again I'm sure Kirby use to have Nazis saluting left handed in Captain America.

#601400 - 11/06/12 02:51 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]

There are certainly examples where flipping causes problems. All of which can be easily fixed with Photoshop. Welcome to the west, where we read left-to-right.

#601401 - 11/06/12 03:57 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Strenuous Teddy Offline

I do get the impression that a lot of stuff is lost in the translation of manga just due to differences in how the languages work which seems to be a far more regrettable (and maybe unavoidable) flaw in reading English translations. So it would indeed be nice to read manga in Japanese but I doubt I will.

As to the flipping thing, I don't care one way or the other. Unflipped manga reads fairly easy to me but I was fine with having it flipped. But according to Matt Thorn, the un-flipped movement started with Tokyo Pop as part of a whole slew of corner-cutting measures designed to increase sales volume through cheaper manga. It was they who aggressively pushed the "authenticity" angle to spin it in their advertising and set the trend.

Edited by Strenuous Teddy (11/06/12 03:59 PM)

#601402 - 11/06/12 04:12 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Strenuous Teddy]
Gerald Offline

That's what I was thinking. Reversing manga for a western audience for Ranma 1/2 and Crying Freeman would be fine, but since they were bringing in SO many mangas in the 2000s it makes sense to not bother with it.

#601427 - 11/08/12 07:18 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
There are certainly examples where flipping causes problems. All of which can be easily fixed with Photoshop. Welcome to the west, where we read left-to-right.

Wait, what are you recommending here? Flip the panels, but then unflip the characters using the wrong hands within those panels, or what? That sounds like a recipe for disaster. It also sounds like a ton of work for no good reason. So am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

The public has accepted unflipped manga remarkably well. The biggest part of the manga boom occurred AFTER publishers stopped flipping the pages. So unless your photoshopping idea would provide some advantage that current methods don't provide, I can't imagine it ever catching on. But please elaborate, I am curious to hear more details.

#601428 - 11/08/12 10:12 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Peter Urkowitz]

You got it. Flip pages to read left-to-right, then re-flip or fix only the elements that cause trouble in the narrative.

Of course there was more stuff dumped into the market when all the publisher has to do is re-letter. But translation alone renders the content non-"100% Authentic."

I used to read a fair amount of material from TokyoPop, which was not only flipped left-to-right but was also printed in the larger American pamphlet format. I tried to keep going after their shift to the backwards digests, but probably haven't bought one in four years now, largely because the format is too annoying to navigate.

Also, the pamphlets came out monthly, whereas it was harder to remember to order books that came out with six months or more between installments. I understand that the digests are sturdier products that have a longer shelf life, but that's not the way I was consuming my comics at the time.

Page 7 of 12 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley