Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#601379 - 11/05/12 11:49 AM 'We need more cartoonists to truly retire'
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
“We need more cartoonists to truly retire when they retire and not run repeats. Repeats are the absolute soul-crushing killers of the comics page."

-- Stephan Pastis, cartoonist on "Pearls Before Swine"

Yep! I agree.

I loved "Peanuts" and "For Better Or For Worse" when they were running the first time. But when the cartoonists died or retired, it was time to clear their space for someone new rather than committing to an eternity of reruns.

Likewise, it's time to say goodbye to all those moldy-oldies like "Blondie," "Hagar the Horrible," "Beetle Bailey," "Hi and Lois," "Wizard of Id," "B.C.," "Shoe," "Garfield," etc., etc., unfunny strips that have run for decades despite the death, retirement and/or disappearance of their creators.

If the guy doing the strip today is the grandson of the original cartoonist, and he's not even really doing the strip, he's playing another round of golf at his Boca Raton retirement community while his underpaid assistants back at the studio crap out the strip and approve licensing rights for more coffee mugs and Hallmark cards, then it's time to drop the axe, thanks.

Comic strips have become as stale and moribund as comic books would be if they continued to milk the same dozen or so tired franchises year after year after year.

Hey, wait.

#601382 - 11/05/12 03:04 PM Re: 'We need more cartoonists to truly retire' [Re: Lawson]
Gerald Offline

Have you written your local paper about getting rid of those old strips?

I remember when I was younger I'd buy the paper just for the comics section. Our Sunday paper has some good new strips but they still waste too much space with Blondie, Peanuts, etc.

#601389 - 11/05/12 04:19 PM Re: 'We need more cartoonists to truly retire' [Re: Gerald]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Newspapers occasionally conduct polls to see what strips readers want to see, and the older strips typically come out on top. Pastis isn't even smart enough to secure the dot-com or dot-net domain name for his strip, so I don't have a lot of sympathy for his plight.

#601390 - 11/05/12 04:20 PM Re: 'We need more cartoonists to truly retire' [Re: Gerald]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Double post

#601395 - 11/06/12 11:28 AM Re: 'We need more cartoonists to truly retire' [Re: Lawson]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
Originally Posted By: Lawson
“We need more cartoonists to truly retire when they retire and not run repeats. Repeats are the absolute soul-crushing killers of the comics page."

Translation: I'd be a bigger deal if I wasn't overshadowed by 30 year old Peanuts strips and whatever the hell that "For Better or Worse" chick is doing!

Mike

#601399 - 11/06/12 02:46 PM Re: 'We need more cartoonists to truly retire' [Re: MBunge]
Allen Montgomery Offline

And seriously? Even with the circulation numbers of newspapers going south so quickly, there are *still* wannabes whining about Peanuts reruns and Dik Browne's grandson taking all their opportunities? It's like these people never heard of the Internet or something.

#601403 - 11/06/12 04:15 PM Re: 'We need more cartoonists to truly retire' [Re: MBunge]
Gerald Offline

Originally Posted By: MBunge
Originally Posted By: Lawson

Translation: I'd be a bigger deal if I wasn't overshadowed by 30 year old Peanuts strips and whatever the hell that "For Better or Worse" chick is doing!

Mike

Totally disagree. If these old strips were retired and the comics page was full of new ones I think there would be more interest in them.

#601404 - 11/06/12 07:33 PM Re: 'We need more cartoonists to truly retire' [Re: Gerald]
Allen Montgomery Offline

All paper periodicals are dying. Comic strips aren't going to change that.

#601407 - 11/06/12 11:12 PM Re: 'We need more cartoonists to truly retire' [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Gerald Offline

I never said that comic strips would revive the newspaper business.

It's like DC focusing on putting out the same old shit. Superman #1 this time he has a collar! Before Watchmen: Bubastis!
You could criticize that approach or you could just say, "new characters/comics aren't going to change the dying comic book business."

And since newspapers are still putting out a comics section it couldn't hurt to try something new.

#601409 - 11/07/12 12:22 AM Re: 'We need more cartoonists to truly retire' [Re: Gerald]
Allen Montgomery Offline

New characters/comics *aren't* going to save a distribution model that segregates the comics medium from other forms of publishing, and allows the comics medium to be defined by only mild variations of one genre.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley