Page 27 of 29 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 >
Topic Options
#600562 - 08/27/12 08:44 PM Re: Joe Kubert R.I.P. [Re: Ceci n'est pas une chaussette]
ChrisW Offline

Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Not really. Your gang has no awareness that it's a shitty way to behave at anybody's memorial, no awareness that it's a shitty way to behave at Joe Kubert's memorial, no awareness that anybody could have any legitimate disagreement with you on either of those points. You take mock offense that your right to be offensive is being diminished, and are overwhelmingly corrosive to discussion, toxic to the atmosphere, deadening to any spark of life.

Were you summoned by an aging English wizard to wreak vengeance on fresh corpses at his behest, or are you just like that naturally?

"I think ChrisW is the funniest man in entertainment still alive..."
-- the perceptive Tom Spurgeon

#600563 - 08/27/12 09:07 PM Re: Joe Kubert R.I.P. [Re: ChrisW]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Originally Posted By: ChrisW
Your gang has no awareness that it's a shitty way to behave at anybody's memorial

Your gang has no awareness that this isn't a memorial, but a message board.

#600565 - 08/27/12 10:59 PM Re: Joe Kubert R.I.P. [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
Your gang has no awareness that this isn't a memorial, but a message board.
Yes. You have repeated that again and again. In fact message boards are where people post messages. Messages that may include many kinds of things. They may even include the occasional death announcement and or a memorial thread, posted in honor of that persons having died. Similar to this one. Some people may have been long time fans of that person, heck some people may have even met, or know the person very well, either way, they may not take kindly to people speaking ill of the recently deceased.

Why is that so hard for you to comprehend? Or was it exactly what you counted on?

#600570 - 08/28/12 08:24 AM Re: Joe Kubert R.I.P. [Re: Joe Lee]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Originally Posted By: Joe Lee
You have repeated that again and again.

And still you don't seem to get it.

Some people may have been long time fans of that person, heck some people may have even met, or know the person very well

And some people may have been wronged by the recently deceased.

either way, they may not take kindly to people speaking ill of the recently deceased.

Thought Police.

#600574 - 08/28/12 10:22 AM Re: Joe Kubert R.I.P. [Re: ChrisW]
Ceci n'est pas une chaussette Offline

Originally Posted By: ChrisW
Your gang has no awareness that it's a shitty way to behave at anybody's memorial, no awareness that it's a shitty way to behave at Joe Kubert's memorial...

Wait, this is Joe Kubert's memorial?

Then I guess I gotta take back what I said earlier. Not what I said about Before Watchmen being a black mark on his legacy, mind you. But about him probably being a generally good person. His family and friends must have fuckin' hated the guy, if they said, "Oh, we don't need a big to-do. A thread on a message board will get the job done."

#600577 - 08/28/12 12:54 PM Re: Joe Kubert R.I.P. [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

either way, they may not take kindly to people speaking ill of the recently deceased

Thought Police.
So now you're even claiming just having the opinion that your "thoughts" are offensive, is as you say "thought police?" You got to express your thoughts, but someone being offended isn't just expressing their thoughts now, it's "thought police," it's somehow policing your thoughts?

You must really hate living in a society that claims to be free, but occasionally asks you to set aside your own needs if even just for a moment or two.

Like waiting politely in a line at a restaurant despite the fact you are really hungry. Or slowing down and stopping for an ambulance even if you are in a hurry. Or by expressing an opinion critical of you for revisiting unsubstantiated accusations against a man on the occasion of his death.

If you have a thought during a movie, or on a street corner where a guy is playing a guitar, or during a classroom lecture, would it be "thought police," asking you to be quiet until the end? "Thought police?" somehow I think democracy will survive if the thoughts and needs of one bitter, lonely, unmarried, middle-aged, comic book collector are met with the occasional disagreement.

#600580 - 08/28/12 01:37 PM Re: Joe Kubert R.I.P. [Re: Ceci n'est pas une chaussette]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
Originally Posted By: Ceci n'est pas une chaussette
His family and friends must have fuckin' hated the guy, if they said, "Oh, we don't need a big to-do. A thread on a message board will get the job done."

Ya see, there's this thing called the internet. On it are these things called websites. Some of those websites are things called message boards. On those message boards, people post their thoughts and opinions on stuff. Sometimes when a famous or well respected person dies, folks who frequent a message board will post kind words about the departed, even though they usually never met the person or had any sort of real relationship with them. When someone enters one of these remembrance threads, "threads" being what we call a series of connected message board posts, and makes negative, insulting comments about the deceased, the reaction is going to be very similar to what would happen if someone walked into a physical memorial and said the same things out loud.

(Reviews what I wrote)

Yeah, it would have been quicker just to call you a condescending dick.

Mike

#600581 - 08/28/12 01:42 PM Re: Joe Kubert R.I.P. [Re: MBunge]
Ceci n'est pas une chaussette Offline

Originally Posted By: MBunge
Ya see, there's this thing called the internet. On it are these things called websites. Some of those websites are things called message boards. On those message boards, people post their thoughts and opinions on stuff. Sometimes when a famous or well respected person dies, folks who frequent a message board will post kind words about the departed, even though they usually never met the person or had any sort of real relationship with them.

Yes, and sometimes they will say unkind words. Because a message board is a place for conversation, and only an incurable lunatic would think that a message board is the same as a memorial service.

Quote:
Yeah, it would have been quicker just to call you a condescending dick.

I'm sorry you feel condescended to, Mike. It seems to happen a lot. Maybe if you were smarter it wouldn't happen quite so often.

#600590 - 08/28/12 02:18 PM Re: Joe Kubert R.I.P. [Re: Joe Lee]
Allen Montgomery Offline

would it be "thought police," asking you to be quiet until the end?

Did you honor the intent of this thread? No, you specifically did not.

On top of being a whiney little douche, you're a hypocrite.

#600602 - 08/28/12 02:47 PM Re: Joe Kubert R.I.P. [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

Did you honor the intent of this thread? No, you specifically did not.

On top of being a whiney little douche, you're a hypocrite.
You'll note, you were the guy being disrespectful to the nice old guys that were subjects of both this and that thread.

You sir are a horses ass and a coward. With a wussie imaginary "tote" bag full of "ass kickings" for all the people you were brave enough to attack from the safety of your anonymous dirt farm.

You make big claims of being this same obnoxious guy in person, but I've never heard any professional say they were told off in person by allen montgomery. You never had the guts to go up to anyone at a convention and tell the allen's honest truth.

You claim you made the same unsubstantiated accusation about Joe Kubert even before his death. But you hid online to do it then too, I assume, or you would have mentioned it. Or accusing Erik Larsen of tracing. You would do it in real life too. If you had the time right? How many of the artists and writers of Before Watchmen will you confront in person? None, not a one, you just don't have the guts.

Page 27 of 29 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley