Page 13 of 25 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
#601196 - 10/07/12 11:37 AM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Lawson]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
Originally Posted By: Lawson
To Mike: I think it's OK if we all use the word "creator" our own way. Nobody is telling you otherwise.

Nobody's trying to be the noun police. But you're not Allen and I'm trying to engage you in discussion. You've put forth a definition of creator. I've tried to show how that definition is problematic. If you're not interested in discussing it, that's perfectly fine. It's certainly better than just being argumentative for argument's sake, though that's not something anyone who posts around here would do.

Mike

#601197 - 10/07/12 11:55 AM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: MBunge]
Ceci n'est pas une chaussette Offline

Originally Posted By: MBunge
I've tried to show how that definition is problematic.

Really Lawson, did you not hear his points about unmarried moms, or Rob Liefeld?

How can you not take those seriously?

#601198 - 10/07/12 11:59 AM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Mr. Socko]
MBunge Offline

Originally Posted By: Mr. Socko
I try, but it keeps making me laugh.

It's great that you can laugh at your intellectual shortcomings. That's quite healthy.

Mike

#601199 - 10/07/12 12:06 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: MBunge]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Nobody's trying to be the noun police.

Calling yourself a nobody? You may have some self esteem issues to work through.

#601200 - 10/07/12 12:39 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
It fucks with the Cyclops.

"Help! Nobody hurt Jean!"

#601201 - 10/07/12 02:15 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Charles Reece]
Ceci n'est pas une chaussette Offline

Hahahaha! Nice.

#601204 - 10/08/12 10:15 AM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Charles Reece]
MBunge Offline

Originally Posted By: Charles Reece
It fucks with the Cyclops.

"Help! Nobody hurt Jean!"

Man, threads do get hard to follow sometimes with the ignore function.

Mike

#601205 - 10/08/12 11:05 AM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: MBunge]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.

I'm certain it is. And I could be wrong.

I used to use the word "creator" to refer to everyone working on a given comic. Now, having considered it, I don't. I use the word "creator" to describe the people working on a comic who actually created the character(s) in that comic -- say, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby on the first 105 issues of FANTASTIC FOUR, or Dave Sim on any issue of CEREBUS. I loved Mark Waid and Mike Wieringo on FANTASTIC FOUR a few years ago. But they were not the creators.

That said, Waid and Wieringo separately went out and created or co-created some of their own characters at indie published comics. I dunno much about those characters. But speaking in general terms, it may be fair to call them "creators" in the looser sense, then, referring to their own creations.

It's a fluid definition. I may change my mind yet again.

#601206 - 10/08/12 12:28 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Lawson]
MBunge Offline

Originally Posted By: Lawson

I'm certain it is. And I could be wrong.

I used to use the word "creator" to refer to everyone working on a given comic. Now, having considered it, I don't. I use the word "creator" to describe the people working on a comic who actually created the character(s) in that comic -- say, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby on the first 105 issues of FANTASTIC FOUR, or Dave Sim on any issue of CEREBUS. I loved Mark Waid and Mike Wieringo on FANTASTIC FOUR a few years ago. But they were not the creators.

That said, Waid and Wieringo separately went out and created or co-created some of their own characters at indie published comics. I dunno much about those characters. But speaking in general terms, it may be fair to call them "creators" in the looser sense, then, referring to their own creations.

It's a fluid definition. I may change my mind yet again.

So, no one can be called a creator unless they've indy published their own stuff?

Mike

#601207 - 10/08/12 12:43 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: MBunge]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Okay, so you may have more than self esteem issues to work through.

Page 13 of 25 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 24 25 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley