Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#601554 - 12/09/12 05:06 PM Amazing Spider-Man - this is the end ...
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
So there's only one issue to go and Amazing Spider-Man will be no more. It will be replaced by the Superior Spider-Man - a hideous and ridiculous title. I've read 698 and 699 - art in 698 was bland rubbish but was much better in 699. The story - well, standard superhero fair - I won't spoiler it for you but if you read enough comics in your time, you'll have seen it before. There was a bit of a kerfuffle between John Byrne & Dan Slott over one scene in 699. the thread is no longer available which is standard Byrne and the scene in question - bad taste is all.

So fare thee well, Amazing Spider-Man.

The Lizard, Electro, Doctor Octopus, Green Goblin, Ringmaster & the Circus of Crime, the Scorpion, the Master Planner, the Big Man & the Enforcers, Mysterio, the Sinister Six, Bretty Brant, Gwen Stacy, J Jonah Jameson, Aunt May. Funny how all my favourite memories of Amazing Spider-Man are when Steve Ditko was there. If only, Stan Lee had been able to keep Steve happy, it would have been so much better.

So Amazing Spider-Man, my first & favourite comic.

Steve

PS I give it six months before Amazing Spider-Man is relaunched.

#601556 - 12/09/12 09:32 PM Re: Amazing Spider-Man - this is the end ... [Re: shjonescrk]
Allen Montgomery Offline

What's the deal with "Superior" Spider-Man? He's got claws or something? I saw the one picture, but I don't understand what it is they're trying to do.

Julie Delpy was on Craig Ferguson's show a couple of nights ago. She said that her four-year-old son is starting to ask questions about why Batman is sometimes in black and sometimes in gray. If comics publishers cared at all about keeping their properties relevant to new demographics, they would do everything they could to eliminate this kind of confusion.

#601566 - 12/10/12 10:40 AM Re: Amazing Spider-Man - this is the end ... [Re: shjonescrk]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
Originally Posted By: shjonescrk
So there's only one issue to go and Amazing Spider-Man will be no more.

Heaven knows there's plenty of things to criticize DC for, but at least it seems like the folks running it are interested in comics as an ongoing enterprise. Marvel seems to operate on the principle that the whole business is doomed, so just try and squeeze as much out of the ever-dwindling audience as possible.

Mike

#601567 - 12/10/12 01:01 PM Re: Amazing Spider-Man - this is the end ... [Re: MBunge]
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
Maybe they're returning Spidey to his Objectivist roots.

#601568 - 12/10/12 02:52 PM Re: Amazing Spider-Man - this is the end ... [Re: MBunge]
shjonescrk Offline

Originally Posted By: MBunge
So there's only one issue to go and Amazing Spider-Man will be no more.

Heaven knows there's plenty of things to criticize DC for, but at least it seems like the folks running it are interested in comics as an ongoing enterprise. Marvel seems to operate on the principle that the whole business is doomed, so just try and squeeze as much out of the ever-dwindling audience as possible.

Mike

Personally, I don't see much difference between Marvel and DC. It is clear that they are both only catering for one small section of the market.

Anyway, aside from reading your old Marvel comics, the best place to get that classic Marvel vibe is watch the Marvel movies. The Avengers movie showed how to tell a superhero story.

#601569 - 12/11/12 11:31 AM Re: Amazing Spider-Man - this is the end ... [Re: shjonescrk]
MBunge Offline

Personally, I don't see much difference between Marvel and DC. It is clear that they are both only catering for one small section of the market.

I do think you can draw a distinction between DC and Marvel on three things.

1. Fewer company wide "event" crossovers. DC hasn't had one since Blackest Night in 2010.

2. Fewer rebooting of titles with new #1.

3. Publishing non-super-hero stuff like G.I. COMBAT, ALL STAR WESTERN, SWORD OF SORCERY, etc.

Mike

#601570 - 12/11/12 01:20 PM Re: Amazing Spider-Man - this is the end ... [Re: MBunge]
shjonescrk Offline

I'll give you point 3 but surely not for point 2 - the new 52 rebuts that point totally. Point 1 is a matter of degree.

#601571 - 12/11/12 05:19 PM Re: Amazing Spider-Man - this is the end ... [Re: shjonescrk]
MBunge Offline

I'll give you point 3 but surely not for point 2 - the new 52 rebuts that point totally. Point 1 is a matter of degree.

How many times has DC gone back to #1 with it's books? Once after CRISIS, once for the new 52, and...? Marvel has done it so often that it's practically a joke.

Mike

#601573 - 12/12/12 12:55 AM Re: Amazing Spider-Man - this is the end ... [Re: MBunge]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
Mike, if you are talking about restarting the numbering across the whole line as a different thing than restarting individual titles, then yes, DC has only done that twice. But DC has certainly restarted individual titles many other times. Justice League (or JLA) has restarted several times. Also Green Lantern, Hawkman/Hawkgirl, Green Arrow, Flash, etc.

I am having a hard time thinking of ANY time when Marvel has restarted ALL of their titles at once. Even this new MARVEL NOW thing leaves a few of the older numberings intact, if only because they restarted within the last few years. But certainly I do agree that each individual Marvel title has been restarted so many times, and in such nonsensical ways, that it has become a running joke.

But I wouldn't say, just because DC does it somewhat less often, that this constitutes a concrete difference between them and Marvel. Jonesy's point about them both aiming for the same market is still quite valid, I think. They both make fitful attempts at reaching wider audiences, but nothing really convincing or confident.

#601578 - 12/12/12 11:01 AM Re: Amazing Spider-Man - this is the end ... [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
MBunge Offline

Originally Posted By: Peter Urkowitz
Mike, if you are talking about restarting the numbering across the whole line as a different thing than restarting individual titles, then yes, DC has only done that twice. But DC has certainly restarted individual titles many other times. Justice League (or JLA) has restarted several times. Also Green Lantern, Hawkman/Hawkgirl, Green Arrow, Flash, etc.

There's a difference between genuinely cancelling a book and then bringing it back at some point in the future with a new #1. I also think it's a different thing if you fundamentally change a book and decide to relaunch it with a new #1, like bringing in Kyle Rayner as GL or bringing back Barry Allen or replacing Cap with Bucky.

However, there have been 6 new #1s for Captain America since 1996. There have been 2 new #1s for Daredevil since 1998. There have been 4 new Iron Man #1s since 1996. There have been 2 new Hulk #1s since 2000. As of next year, there will have been 4 new Avengers #1s since 1996. There have been 3 new Fantastic Four #1s since 1996. Heck, we've even seen two Moon Knight #1s since 2006!

I think DC only has one book that's guilty of constant new #1s, and with Justice League that's usually been accompanied by some kind of creative change to justify it.

I'm not saying DC is innocent of it, merely that they haven't been as guilty of exploiting this sales-boosting tactic as Marvel.

Mike

Edited by MBunge (12/12/12 11:04 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley