Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#601582 - 12/13/12 04:42 AM Re: Amazing Spider-Man - this is the end ... [Re: MBunge]
Gerald Offline

So what is the controversial panel about that Byrne and Slott got into it?

Anways, Allen
Click to reveal..
Doc Ock switches brains with Spider-man, because Otto is dying. So Otto's body dies with Peters's brain/mind in it.

I don't think it's a big deal that companies have different interpretations of the same character. As a kid I wished that the Batman comic looked more like the 89 film but I understood there were just differences between the mediums. Same thing with TMNT. The Archie comics were the cartoon spin-offs and the all-red masked turtles that appeared in black and white were the "real" versions, even though I was exposed to the cartoon first.

#601584 - 12/13/12 10:24 AM Re: Amazing Spider-Man - this is the end ... [Re: Gerald]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
Originally Posted By: Gerald
So what is the controversial panel about that Byrne and Slott got into it?

Well...

Click to reveal..
He had Pete run through Ock's memories and get one of when Ock and Aunt May got married that implied some romantic/sexual encounter between them, with Pete would be experiencing as his own memory of bleeping his aunt. Slott admitted that he specifically designed the sequence so people could make up their own minds how naughty it was, then whined about those who complained that it was too incesty.

Mike

#601585 - 12/13/12 02:41 PM Re: Amazing Spider-Man - this is the end ... [Re: MBunge]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
Here's bleedingcool article with the "offending" panels

Don't click if you are easily offended, ha ha

Byrne & Slott got it together at the Byrne board but the thread is now deleted.

But you can get the highlights here

Personally, I just thought it was in bad taste and not especially well drawn.

#601587 - 12/13/12 05:23 PM Re: Amazing Spider-Man - this is the end ... [Re: MBunge]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
Originally Posted By: MBunge

There's a difference between genuinely cancelling a book and then bringing it back at some point in the future with a new #1. I also think it's a different thing if you fundamentally change a book and decide to relaunch it with a new #1, like bringing in Kyle Rayner as GL or bringing back Barry Allen or replacing Cap with Bucky.

Okay, I see what you're saying. But while you and I can understand that difference, I don't think it's all that perceptible to the wider reading public. They just see decades-old characters in titles that started very recently, either way.

And to the extent that it is perceptible, I think changing the identity of the main character is WORSE for public marketability. When somebody has just watched a movie or TV show and liked a character, it does not help if they pick up a comic, looking for that character, and find out that, oops, now it's some other guy.

Now, it's one thing if a creator is doing their own version of a character for a limited series or one shot, like Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns. Those standalone stories can vary from the established canon in all kinds of ways, and still do pretty well as evergreen bookstore properties. But when publishers keep messing around with the ongoing series, that's when chasing the monthly comic shop sales becomes counterproductive to longterm success, in my view.

#601589 - 12/13/12 07:55 PM Re: Amazing Spider-Man - this is the end ... [Re: MBunge]
Gerald Offline

Originally Posted By: MBunge

Well...

Mike

Oh hell no. I was reading a similar thread at another forum and someone joked around that Peter would "see" Aunt May and Otto getting it on.

Fucking eww. And this is the shit that OMD brought us back to?

#601665 - 12/27/12 04:04 PM Re: Amazing Spider-Man - this is the end ... [Re: Gerald]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
Well, what do you think of issue 700? As comic book stories go, it was very good and quite exciting. One can debate the ending but I am sure everything will turn out alright in the end.

Even the English Papers are reporting on it - Daily Mail. There's a video of Stan Lee on the page and it calls him the co-creator, which is nice to see.

#601666 - 12/27/12 05:53 PM Re: Amazing Spider-Man - this is the end ... [Re: shjonescrk]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
Does the story rise and fall entirely on the whole "Peter Parker dying" thing? 'Cause if it does, then only a stone idiot could enjoy it because only a stone idiot could take that seriously. Maybe I'm wrong but offing Peter Parker should be truly world-shaking news, but it seems that more people outside comic fandom are jazzed about it than within.

Mike

#601667 - 12/27/12 08:07 PM Re: Amazing Spider-Man - this is the end ... [Re: MBunge]
Gerald Offline

Comics are mostly only read by grown men that know that death is never final , so I agree, it detracts from the ride when you know how it's going to eventually turn out.

I'm surprised these things make the news. Maybe only because it's related to the multi-million dollar SONY Spider-man film franchise. I mean Superman being killed off made nation wide news and we all saw that it wasn't permanent. When superhero comics were relatively new I'm sure killing off a character was something very shocking. However, we all know that these corporations own these characters and names copyrighted and trademarked so they're never going to die or have anything permanently shake them up, or ever end.

#601669 - 12/28/12 12:42 AM Re: Amazing Spider-Man - this is the end ... [Re: Gerald]
HouseOfMisterE Online   content

Loc: Huntsville, AL
The story is crap and the issue costs $7.99 plus tax.

<-----SPOILERS----->

Doc Ock is dying and has swapped bodies with Peter. Peter dies in Ock's body, but the remnants of his personality in his old body influences Ock to become the bestest Spider-man ever (or the Superior Spider-man, but whatever). Ock is already cuddling with Mary Jane, so I guess that he'll be raping her sometime soon. No one knows that Peter has died, so he goes un-mourned.

I don't see how anything short of a visit from Mephisto can fix this.

#601670 - 12/28/12 02:48 AM Re: Amazing Spider-Man - this is the end ... [Re: HouseOfMisterE]
HouseOfMisterE Online   content

Loc: Huntsville, AL
Hey, I wonder if they might bring Parker back as "Ghost Spider, The Wall-Crawlin' Joke-Crackin' Spirit of Vengeance"?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley