Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#601633 - 12/18/12 12:46 AM Re: tarantino's django unchained [Re: Allen Montgomery]
madget Offline

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Then again, I did just watch Kill Bill again, which holds up really poorly. Especially part one. Never was a favorite of mine where QT goes.

DU looks good. Can't wait to see it next week.

K

#601636 - 12/20/12 03:22 AM Re: tarantino's django unchained [Re: madget]
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
I'll get around to blogging about it. Been under the weather lately. Anyway, DU is probably the weakest of QT's films, aesthetically, structurally and morally. People will probably rank it somewhere next to Death Proof and Kill Bill, depending on how much one likes those films. Personally, I much preferred KB. There are some really great scenes, though. I'm curious to see what you think next week.

#601637 - 12/20/12 06:42 PM Re: tarantino's django unchained [Re: Charles Reece]
madget Offline

I'm surprised to hear it; it's getting such immensely strong reviews so far -- better than IB -- although the full wave of critical response has yet to hit. Do you think it suffered from Sally Menke's departure?

I'm actually trying not to read too much about it, as I want to go in as fresh as I can. We'll see what we see I guess. I loved IB.

K

#601639 - 12/21/12 02:13 AM Re: tarantino's django unchained [Re: madget]
Allen Montgomery Offline

I'll probably go and see it. I just want to know, since the story is set two years before the Civil War, if Tarantino does something stupid like in Inglorious Basterds which would have a serious impact on history.

#601640 - 12/21/12 02:56 AM Re: tarantino's django unchained [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Charles Reece Offline

Well, it's a fantasy of sorts, but not exactly an alternate history if that's what you mean.

#601641 - 12/21/12 03:01 AM Re: tarantino's django unchained [Re: Charles Reece]
Allen Montgomery Offline

No, I mean something that irrevocably contradicts true history.

#601644 - 12/21/12 10:17 AM Re: tarantino's django unchained [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Ted Kilvington Offline

Loc: Mason, MI, USA
Wait, so WW2 didn't end with Hitler being killed at a French movie premiere!?!?!? Tarantino lied to me!!!!!

"I still have that comic, only now it's in liquid form!"

#601645 - 12/21/12 12:53 PM Re: tarantino's django unchained [Re: Ted Kilvington]
Allen Montgomery Offline

I'm sure there are examples of pure fantasy stories set in historical settings that I'm not opposed to, but I'm having a hard time coming up with any right now. The Amazing Screw-On Head, maybe. When you start down the path of serious-within-itself historical fantasies, there's a not only a danger of perpetuating a false history that sticks, but also almost invariably short-changing the more interesting true story. Gladiator is a prime example.

#601646 - 12/21/12 01:08 PM Re: tarantino's django unchained [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Charles Reece Offline

Well, if you know the premise, then you know it's not exactly a historically accurate picture of the possibility of what a slave could accomplish under such domination. The film doesn't put an end to slavery if that's what you're driving at, though. In reality, we have Nat Turner's story, which is a good bit different from a wishfulfilling fantasy.

#601647 - 12/21/12 01:33 PM Re: tarantino's django unchained [Re: Charles Reece]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Originally Posted By: Charles Reece
The film doesn't put an end to slavery if that's what you're driving at, though.

Yes, that was my question exactly. After IB, I was wondering if Tarantino would have the audacity to do something like that again.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley