Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#601681 - 12/30/12 05:35 PM Peter A. David had a stroke
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Comics writer and sometime Comicon contributor Peter A. David says he has suffered a stroke.

We were on vacation in Florida when I lost control of the right side of my body. I cannot see properly and I cannot move my right arm or leg. We are currently getting the extent of the damage sorted out and will report as further details become clarified.

PAD

Best wishes to Peter and his family for a quick and full recovery.

#601689 - 12/31/12 12:51 PM Re: Peter A. David had a stroke [Re: Lawson]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
Get well soon Pad.

Mike

#601690 - 01/01/13 03:15 AM Re: Peter A. David had a stroke [Re: MBunge]
Time Warp 1993 Online   content

I had the same experience in 2002 Peter David is one my favorite writers so I wish him well.

#601699 - 01/02/13 01:45 AM Re: Peter A. David had a stroke [Re: Time Warp 1993]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
I hope he recovers well and soon! Best wishes!

#601700 - 01/02/13 03:35 AM Re: Peter A. David had a stroke [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

I hope he fully recovers and takes the hint that he needs to do something about his health. I remember seeing an interview with him in the extras on some Full Moon video, probably twenty years ago, and thinking how unhealthy he looked even then.

#601701 - 01/02/13 10:29 AM Re: Peter A. David had a stroke [Re: Allen Montgomery]
IvanJim Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Several years ago Peter decided he needed to do something about his health and drastically changed his diet and exercise habits. He lost quite a bit of weight and pictures I've seen over the last few years indicate that he kept most of it off.

#601702 - 01/02/13 10:29 AM Re: Peter A. David had a stroke [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

Writing and drawing can lead to sedentary, unhealthy lifestyles if you're not careful.

Many comics pros are morbidly obese and pallid in complexion. We often hear that they suffer from problems like diabetes and heart disease, which can be caused or aggravated by obesity.

In the old days, the comics pros were skinnier -- but many of them lived on a diet of tobacco, coffee and booze, and a lot of them suffered their own health ailments far too early in life.

In Stan Lee's memoirs, he mentions that he preferred to write while standing up. He also says he tried smoking but never got the hang of it, never liked the taste of it. Stan turned 90 last week.

#601710 - 01/02/13 05:39 PM Re: Peter A. David had a stroke [Re: IvanJim]

Is the photo on Evanier's site not recent? Because PAD looks horrible in that photo. Looks way older than 56.

#601711 - 01/02/13 05:41 PM Re: Peter A. David had a stroke [Re: Lawson]

Originally Posted By: Lawson
In the old days, the comics pros were skinnier -- but many of them lived on a diet of tobacco, coffee and booze, and a lot of them suffered their own health ailments far too early in life.

I was going to mention that comics pros from the 1970's and earlier weren't the rotund pigs we've seen from the 80's and forward, but then I realized that was probably because they couldn't afford food.

#601712 - 01/02/13 05:47 PM Re: Peter A. David had a stroke [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
I was going to mention that comics pros from the 1970's and earlier weren't the rotund pigs we've seen from the 80's and forward, but then I realized that was probably because they couldn't afford food.

The Golden Age comics guys all lived around New York City, where the publishers were, so they spent a lot of time walking.

And also, yes, some of them were probably starving.

Jack Kirby was skinny so that Joe Quesada wouldn't have to be.

#601716 - 01/03/13 05:51 PM Re: Peter A. David had a stroke [Re: Lawson]
Lawson Offline

From Peter David's wife:

So we are in the waiting game for now.

Peter is doing better every day. Yesterday he was able to lift up his right arm by himself and the fingers are coming back a little more every day. He can stand up but still can’t walk and the standing only lasts for so long. His face is even more normal than the day before. And he sat up in a chair for the first time since Saturday which he was very happy about and I was thrilled. The more he can get up, the sooner he gets out and onto the next step of the journey.

Keep those good thoughts coming. Peter says it is both gratifying and humbling about the number of people who are praying for them and keeping him in their thoughts and he appreciates and is thankful to each and every one of you.

http://www.peterdavid.net/

#601730 - 01/05/13 10:31 AM Re: Peter A. David had a stroke [Re: Lawson]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
Not everyone who has a stroke is down to an unhealthy lifestyle. I had one and I wasn't unhealthy or overweight . For me, it was probably genetic as both my grandmother & great-grandmother died from strokes when they were relatively young and all my uncles have had heart issues.

I've become a (mostly) vegan* and it being low fat to boot. I recently got my annual check up and the nurse told me that my bad cholesterol was the lowest she had ever seen.

Anyway, here's hoping Peter makes a full recovery and starts looking after himself and just doesn't rely on pills to help himself. I liked his Hulk up until Todd McFarlane left. Good stuff.

* My theory is that humans for most of human history had a vegetarian diet but had the odd fatted calf from time to time.

#601734 - 01/05/13 12:28 PM Re: Peter A. David had a stroke [Re: shjonescrk]

Sure, PAD's weight/diet may not have been a contributing factor (especially if, as Jim says, he'd already fixed that), but it certainly wasn't doing anything to prevent an adverse medical event.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley