Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#602202 - 06/21/13 09:30 AM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Gerald]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
Saga Volume 1. Mental, mad and brilliant. For all it's bizarreness, it was full of characters who were believable and human. No pompous, stilted dialogue either. I am in for volume 2.

#602215 - 06/27/13 05:45 AM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
shjonescrk Offline

20th Century Boys volumes 1-22 and 21st Century Boys volumes 1 & 2. As I have said before this is a great comic with brilliant art. I think I could nit pick over some aspects of the plot not being coherent at times but overall it is a magnificent achievement.

Apparently, Urasawa's work doesn't sell that well in the US and UK and this may affect whether Urasawa's current work - Billy Bat - will be available in English. If this is the case, I'll have to read the scanlations but these can be problematic with the translations as they tend to be literal translations and the quality of the scans themselves.

Also read Tintin: Flight 714. Great art as always and quite funny in parts but overall not so much to get fussed about.

#602229 - 07/07/13 03:57 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
MESSAGES IN A BOTTLE: COMIC BOOK STORIES BY B. KRIGSTEIN
Stories by various writers
Art by Bernard Krigstein
Published by Fantagraphics Books

This is a stunning collection of 1940s/50s comics drawn by Bernard Krigstein (1919-1990), who had tremendous talent but poor timing.

Young Krigstein got in about a year of professional comics work before he was drafted by the Army to fight in World War Two.

After the war, he bounced between publishers. He did a few years at EC, but then EC was wrecked by the Senate hearings on juvenile delinquency. Then he got blacklisted by DC for trying to organize a comics artists union. Then he found work under Stan Lee at Atlas, but he was just ahead of the Silver Age superhero revival -- and he didn't draw superheroes, he drew everything else -- war, Western, humor, horror, crime, history and romance comics. So there wasn't much for Krigstein to do once the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man debuted. Also, he had grown to loathe Stan Lee.

After only a dozen years of productive comics work, he quit and turned to teaching art in Manhattan city schools. He gave few interviews and did not seem to remember his comics career with much fondness. Today he's remembered as an artist's artist -- the guy the best comic book artists revere -- though he's largely unknown to fandom and to the world at large.

I didn't know this until now, but Bill Gaines' EC -- though it assembled maybe the finest roster of comic book artists ever -- used the unfriendliest format for artists. Call it the anti-Marvel method: The writer produced a full script, and then the editor did the panel layout and oversaw the lettering. What the artist got at the end of this factory line was the pages with panels and text and some blank space available for his art to be inserted.

Krigstein was always fighting with his editors for more pages (a near-impossibility) or, failing that, more panels. Sometimes he took an Exacto-blade and cut up the panel layouts he had been given so he could squeeze in better art.

#602281 - 08/02/13 02:31 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Lawson]
shjonescrk Offline

Lazarus by Rucka & Lark, 1 & 2. I love Lark's artwork and the story looks interesting too.

East of West 1 to 4. Not so sure about this one but I think I'll stick with it.

Hard to believe but Image seems to be the place for getting decent mainstream comics and even better, the comics are not cluttered with ads.

I also read Hawkeye 1 & 2 but sorry, it was far too clever for it's own good so ended up not being very good. As far the art ... just copying another artist from what I can see ...

#602288 - 08/11/13 02:45 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Lawson]
Defiant1 Offline

Loc: Atlanta GA
Originally Posted By: Lawson
MESSAGES IN A BOTTLE: COMIC BOOK STORIES BY B. KRIGSTEIN
Stories by various writers
Art by Bernard Krigstein
Published by Fantagraphics Books

This is a stunning collection of 1940s/50s comics drawn by Bernard Krigstein (1919-1990), who had tremendous talent but poor timing.

Young Krigstein got in about a year of professional comics work before he was drafted by the Army to fight in World War Two.

After the war, he bounced between publishers. He did a few years at EC, but then EC was wrecked by the Senate hearings on juvenile delinquency. Then he got blacklisted by DC for trying to organize a comics artists union. Then he found work under Stan Lee at Atlas, but he was just ahead of the Silver Age superhero revival -- and he didn't draw superheroes, he drew everything else -- war, Western, humor, horror, crime, history and romance comics. So there wasn't much for Krigstein to do once the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man debuted. Also, he had grown to loathe Stan Lee.

After only a dozen years of productive comics work, he quit and turned to teaching art in Manhattan city schools. He gave few interviews and did not seem to remember his comics career with much fondness. Today he's remembered as an artist's artist -- the guy the best comic book artists revere -- though he's largely unknown to fandom and to the world at large.

I didn't know this until now, but Bill Gaines' EC -- though it assembled maybe the finest roster of comic book artists ever -- used the unfriendliest format for artists. Call it the anti-Marvel method: The writer produced a full script, and then the editor did the panel layout and oversaw the lettering. What the artist got at the end of this factory line was the pages with panels and text and some blank space available for his art to be inserted.

Krigstein was always fighting with his editors for more pages (a near-impossibility) or, failing that, more panels. Sometimes he took an Exacto-blade and cut up the panel layouts he had been given so he could squeeze in better art.

Interesting stuff. I like EC's and the fact that you do get more story per page. What you say makes a lot of sense, but I'd rather see a story in the EC style over anything today where artists are given almost free reign.

#602306 - 08/15/13 06:51 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Defiant1]
Mark Allen Offline

Loc: Northwestern Oklahoma
I'm actually not reading any new stuff at the moment. I'm making my way through many of the Marvel Essentials (Silver and Bronze Age) material, and I'm just beginning to acquire Jack Kirby's DC work through their Kirby Omnibus books. My plan is to read them chronologically. I also never miss Alter Ego.

A YouTube page! That's..., something.
Four Color Commentary

#602307 - 08/17/13 07:36 AM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Mark Allen]
Defiant1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark Allen
I'm actually not reading any new stuff at the moment. I'm making my way through many of the Marvel Essentials (Silver and Bronze Age) material, and I'm just beginning to acquire Jack Kirby's DC work through their Kirby Omnibus books. My plan is to read them chronologically. I also never miss Alter Ego.

I think all of that is more entertaining that modern comics.

#602312 - 08/19/13 04:47 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Defiant1]
Johnny Offline

It is crazy to me that this forum still exists.

#602314 - 08/20/13 09:28 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Johnny]
Defiant1 Offline

I'm more willing to post here since Isabella quit spamming the board. grin

#602341 - 09/18/13 02:39 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Defiant1]
shjonescrk Offline

Naruto 3-in-1 book 2. It's a good story and sometimes the art is great and other times, it is difficult to follow to say the least.

Also, been buying the British Reprints of Avengers vs X-Men. I have come to hate Brian Bendis, to loath his writing plus I don't like how there is always a hint that the writers are having a laugh about it all at our expense. If only they'd play it straight. I have come to like Ed McGuinness's art - nice and big.

Lazarus 3 - drop off in the quality of the art. Lark needed an art assist.

East of West 5 - best so far.

Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley