Topic Options
#600035 - 08/07/12 01:43 PM Gun rights about to disappear forever!
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
I just got a press release from a national gun-rights group -- not the National Rifle Association -- blasting both Barack Obama and Mitt Romney for being soft on the Second Amendment.

Gun owners are about to lose their constitutional right to bear arms, the group warns. Just you watch! It's a-gonna happen! The gubmint is gonna take yer guns away! Starting next year!

I wonder if there's an acceptable period of time following a mass shooting that the gun-rights groups might wish to remain publicly silent.

A half-dozen people were shot and killed Sunday at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin. Others were wounded, including a police officer shot in the neck while tending to the injured. The gunman was a frustrated and well-armed white supremacist, according to police.

Can we wait -- say -- one full week before we have to listen to complaints about how there aren't enough guns in America -- that it's too hard to buy a gun in America -- that guns are a precious and rare commodity that must be nurtured like a babe in arms?

This gun-rights group goes on to say:

This will be the first time in its history that the [the group's convention] is held in the Sunshine State. Among the anticipated speakers will be Mark O’Mara, defense attorney representing George Zimmerman, the man now charged in the death of Trayvon Martin. The announcement has stirred considerable media attention for the upcoming event.

Classy.

#601795 - 01/20/13 05:28 PM Re: Gun rights about to disappear forever! [Re: Lawson]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

On National Gun Appreciation Day yesterday, which was conveniently scheduled just two days before Barack Obama's second inauguration, only five people were accidentally shot. So was that a rousing success?

#601805 - 01/23/13 08:08 AM Re: Gun rights about to disappear forever! [Re: Allen Montgomery]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
Do any of you Yankees own a gun?

#601806 - 01/23/13 05:13 PM Re: Gun rights about to disappear forever! [Re: shjonescrk]

I have quite a few. Why do you ask?

#601807 - 01/23/13 06:10 PM Re: Gun rights about to disappear forever! [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Mr. Socko Offline

I've got a taser.

But I mostly just use it as a place to store AA batteries until they go bad.

#601808 - 01/23/13 06:54 PM Re: Gun rights about to disappear forever! [Re: Mr. Socko]

Mine are mostly hunting-grade shotguns and small caliber rifles, plus an antique bolt-action carbine that I've never fired. My dad's cousin was trying to trade me a handgun for a shotgun a few days ago, but I've got no use for that.

I went to a shooting range — more like a trashed field with a shed on one end and a dirt pile on the other — a few weeks ago. The amount of firepower people were pulling out of their vehicles was obscene. Nobody needs an AK-47 or an AR-15 modified for fully-automatic fire.

#601814 - 01/24/13 04:14 PM Re: Gun rights about to disappear forever! [Re: Allen Montgomery]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
I have quite a few. Why do you ask?

Just curious is all. Coming from a country where the overwhelming majority of people don't have guns, I find many American's attitude to guns a bit weird. It's a cultural thing I suppose. I just don't get it.

#601816 - 01/24/13 04:57 PM Re: Gun rights about to disappear forever! [Re: shjonescrk]

Our gun fetish started as a means of fending off the Native Americans. Then it was revolt against the British. The infamous Second Amendment was adopted to preserve southern farmers' options for putting down potential slave revolts without having to ask for federal assistance or permission.

Quote:
Last week at an American Constitution Society briefing on the Heller case, NAACP Legal Defense Fund president John Payton explained the ugly history behind the gun lobby's favorite amendment. "That the Second Amendment was the last bulwark against the tyranny of the federal government is false," he said. Instead, the "well-regulated militias" cited in the Constitution almost certainly referred to state militias that were used to suppress slave insurrections. Payton explained that the founders added the Second Amendment in part to reassure southern states, such as Virginia, that the federal government wouldn’t use its new power to disarm state militias as a backdoor way of abolishing slavery.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2008/03/whitewashing-second-amendment

Recent interpretations have evolved into saying that the Second Amendment preserves the right for some kind of survivalist-type insurrection against the federal government. Yeah, sure. The founders wanted to make absolutely sure that they instituted a mechanism for the violent overthrow of their new government. It's bizarre stuff, for sure.