Topic Options
#601819 - 01/24/13 06:10 PM John McCain is to blame for Benghazi
Allen Montgomery Offline

Quote:
McCain: "I knew [Chris Stevens] on July 7th when I went to Libya to observe the elections. At that time, on July 7th, he expressed to me his deep and grave concerns about security, particularly in Benghazi."

#601822 - 01/27/13 12:14 AM Re: John McCain is to blame for Benghazi [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
Good point! Why hasn't anybody turned that around on McCain, and asked what did he do, why didn't he contact the State Dept. and try to get security improved in Benghazi?

Understandably, the State Dept. themselves can't ask that question, since they should have been paying more attention to the cables from their own ambassador. It would sound like passing the buck if the question came from them.

But certainly, if a senator had raised the issue with them, it would have had more weight. Why hasn't any reporter asked McCain why he kept silent?

#601823 - 01/27/13 10:39 AM Re: John McCain is to blame for Benghazi [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Allen Montgomery Offline

I hadn't previously looked around to see if anyone else has picked up on this point. Google is only returning 175 results, the most high-profile of which being DailyKos (and this thread on Comicon comes up on page two of Google's returns, to give you an even greater understanding of how insignificant this story is on the media's radar). I realize the corporate-owned MSM is pretty much useless, but if McCain's outburst is true, that's a huge bombshell in at least the regard that we have endowed him with so much authority and access to classified information. I suspect it isn't true, however, and perhaps it's not so much a case of the reporters not paying attention as it is a general agreement that McCain is just lying.