Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#601940 - 03/07/13 02:46 PM Re: Ordway on Ageism [Re: Lawson]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
Originally Posted By: Lawson
Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
The thing that gets me about all the comics artist tragic endings is that these people don't seem to realize that there other venues where they can make money with their artwork besides the long underwear pamphlets.

You're right, of course.

But many of these guys want to draw comic books. That's what they love. They might go into advertising or some other field if they absolutely have to (and some have), but they're not happy about it. I can understand that.

Love no doubt has something to do with it, but I would suspect the difficulties you face in the comics biz are much less when compared to, shall we say, more professionally run fields. Try being chronically late with your artwork in any other industry and see how long you last.

Mike

#601942 - 03/07/13 03:36 PM Re: Ordway on Ageism [Re: MBunge]
Ceci n'est pas une chaussette Offline

Yeah, I can't imagine another field where someone is chronically late with new material, and is somehow a success.

Apropos of nothing, how psyched is everyone for the new season of Game of Thrones?

#601944 - 03/10/13 11:43 AM Re: Ordway on Ageism [Re: Ceci n'est pas une chaussette]
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
Isn't it really the case that there's not much demand for Ordway's art? I really hated Trimpe's art as a kid; it ruined so many books, so his not doing anything else was a good thing aesthetically. (Sal Buscema was my other least favorite -- those block mouths, ugh.) That has nothing to do with age. I'm not saying Ordway is bad, but maybe it's just that most people just don't care about his work. Personally, he's better than a lot of what passes for average in DC's books these days, but is that really most people's assessment? It's kind of hard to separate 'ageism' from 'newness' here.

#601945 - 03/10/13 11:48 AM Re: Ordway on Ageism [Re: Charles Reece]
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
10,000!

Hoorah!

#601946 - 03/10/13 07:44 PM Re: Ordway on Ageism [Re: Charles Reece]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

At first I thought that was an Ordway drawing.

#601949 - 03/11/13 02:06 PM Re: Ordway on Ageism [Re: Allen Montgomery]

Personally, I think of Ordway as that guy from a particularly boring stretch of Superman comics. But that might not be fair; there are very few stretches of Superman comics for which I can muster more than a vague yawn.

All-Star Superman, World's Funnest, Alan Moore on Supreme, and that one issue from the 30s where he buries rich people in a coal mine. That's about all I can get into.

#601950 - 03/11/13 04:51 PM Re: Ordway on Ageism [Re: Ceci n'est pas une chaussette]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Originally Posted By: Ceci n'est pas une chaussette
that one issue from the 30s where he buries rich people in a coal mine.

I do enjoy those earliest issues of ACTION COMICS where Siegel and Shuster gave us Superman as a tough guy crusading for social justice. Crooked coal operators got buried alive, war-mongering generals were thrown onto their own battlefields, rich dames got spanked. All good stuff!

Superman was a pretty cool guy before he was expected to sell a million comics per issue, plus carry a radio show, a line of toys, his own brand of peanut butter ...

#601953 - 03/12/13 11:23 AM Re: Ordway on Ageism [Re: Lawson]

Yeah, I don't think it's a coincidence that the Superman comics I enjoy either predate Superman-the-marketing-empire, or focus entirely on Superman-as-pop-culture-icon.

If I'm honest, there's also a weird place in the world for the Byrne two-parter where Superman fucks Big Barda and Mister Miracle has to watch. But more in a "HOW DOES THIS EXIST WHAT IS HAPPENING" kind of way. It's like the Human Centipede of superhero comics; I wouldn't say I enjoy it, but I also can't say it bores me.

#601955 - 03/15/13 09:33 AM Re: Ordway on Ageism [Re: Ceci n'est pas une chaussette]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
Ordway is an okay artist but nothing special so is easily replaceable by the Marvel or DC.

Trimpe wasn't very good from about the late 70s on and it is surprising to me he lasted as long as he did. His best work was his early work on the Hulk.

Age doesn't really matter if you are really good or have something unique to offer.

If you are good enough, you are either old enough or young enough depending on your age, of course.

#601958 - 03/16/13 02:29 PM Re: Ordway on Ageism [Re: shjonescrk]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
Congrats on 10,000, Charles!

Is that the JL-YMCA meeting in their secret fortress men's room?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley