Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#598184 - 06/08/12 09:00 AM The books I'm reading thread...
Johnny Offline

Per request, I'm starting a thread about stuff I'm currently reading for discussion. I don't know how interesting it will end up being, because with a new baby, I don't have a ton of spare time or cash for comics, so I can never read everything I want to...but there are a few things I am picking up regularly.

From Dark Horse:

-Buffy and Angel & Faith. As a die hard Whedon/Buffy fan, I can't not get these books. I also will grab any Serenity and Doll House minis/one-shots that come around. I pick up the occasional Hellboy one-shot, or issue of Creepy or DHP.

From Image:
-The Walking Dead and Saga. Saga has just started, 3 issues in, and itís already one of my favorite books ever. Brian K. Vaughan obviously rules, and Y was one of my favorite books, soÖno-brainer with this one. Great art too. TWD, well everyone knows about that book, and is interested or not. I love it. I loved zombies before they were the hot thing, and I still love them now that everyone else is getting tired of them. I also love Elpehantmen, but don't get to pick it up all the time. I plan to catch up on comixology.

The only other monthly book I am buying right now is Avengers vs. X-Men, but that is about to get cut. Itís pretty lackluster. Iíve actually enjoyed a good lot of the big Marvel stories over the last several years that people complained about, particularly House of M and Civil War, but Iím not really feeling this one. I don't buy all the tie-ins/spin-offs, just the main series.

From DC, I did pick up the first issue of The Minutemen mini seriesÖbut I will buy most anything that Darwyn Cooke draws. I really donít care what it is. I was also picking up Swamp Thing and Frankenstein Agent of Shade, and really enjoying them. But comics beget comics, and the more I read, the more I want to read. I just had to make some cuts and stick with only what I really, really wanted to read. For most of my comic buying life Iíve read Batman, but I find it uninteresting now, starting with Grant Morrisonís run.

And then I will grab any indie books or OGNs that look really interesting to me.

#598225 - 06/08/12 02:52 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Johnny]
Gerald Offline

AvX does not look interesting at all to me. These big clashes between the superheroes seemed forced to me, just like Civil War.

I was going to check out Before Watchmen just to flip through but it was sold out. I saw some slight previews online though, and the art is nice, but the coloring is kind of drab and it doesn't seemt that interesting.

What I'm reading:

IDW's Rocketeer
The first two issues were okay, but it gets old after awhile. Dave Stevens really caputred the essence of that era with the short chapters like movie serials, not to mention his ability to capture expressions and Bettie Page's sauciness was a big draw as well. Thinking about dropping it.

Flaming Carrot
Buying some back issues and this comic never disappoints. The black and white took a little getting used to but truly a brillaint comic.

Green Lantern
It's good when Sinestro is the main feature. Hal Jordan and his supporting cast are totally uninteresting. The "mystery" of Abin Sur and the Indigo Tribe isn't keeping me in though. I'm just waiting to read more Sinestro moments.

Shinku
Lee Moder (Wonder Woman) and Ron Marz' take on a modern Japanese vampire story, featuring a vampire killing heroine. Nice art, and the main pull for me is the locale and how the Japanese mafia vampire clans function.

Alien Worlds, Twisted Tales
More back issues. These are two anthology series put out by Pacific with Bruce Jones writing the majority of the stories with different artists. I find the stories much more memorable and entertaining than Heavy Metal.

#598254 - 06/08/12 06:04 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Gerald]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
I'm re-reading Powers and have just finished the Image issues. I much preferred it the 2nd time around.

#598255 - 06/08/12 11:18 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
Ted Kilvington Offline

Loc: Mason, MI, USA
New stuff I'm reading:

Justice League, Justice League Dark, Justice League International, Action Comics, Superman, StormWatch, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, All-Star Western, Suicide Squad, Earth-2, Night Force, World's Finest, Shade, New Deadwardians, Saucer Country, and of course, Before Watchmen.

Old stuff I'm reading:

Essential Spider-Man Vol. 2, Showcase Presents World's Finest Vol. 1, and Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus Vol. 2.

"I still have that comic, only now it's in liquid form!"

#598264 - 06/09/12 11:36 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Ted Kilvington]
Ted Kilvington Offline

Checked the Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans GN ("Games") out of the library the other day and finished it tonight.

I was very pleasantly surprised. While I don't know if it was worth the $24.99 asking price, it was definitely worth a read.

#598271 - 06/10/12 01:54 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Ted Kilvington]
Happy Birthday HouseOfMisterE Offline

Loc: Huntsville, AL
Originally Posted By: Ted Kilvington
Checked the Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans GN ("Games") out of the library the other day and finished it tonight.

I was very pleasantly surprised. While I don't know if it was worth the $24.99 asking price, it was definitely worth a read.

Amazon has the hardback for $13.88 and the paperback for $16.39, with free shipping on $25 or for Prime members. Recommended at that price?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1401233228

Edited by HouseOfMisterE (06/10/12 01:54 PM)

#598281 - 06/10/12 06:40 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: HouseOfMisterE]
Ted Kilvington Offline

At those prices? I would say yes.

#598464 - 06/15/12 04:31 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Ted Kilvington]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Showcase Presents: Unknown Soldier, Vol. 1

Stories by Joe Kubert, Bob Haney, Frank Robbins, Robert Kanigher, David Michelinie and Archie Goodwin. Art by Kubert, Jack Sparling, Gerry Talaoc and Dan Spiegle. Phonebook-sized collection of 1970s war stories from DC Comics.

#598520 - 06/16/12 05:22 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Lawson]
Joe Lee Offline

Originally Posted By: Lawson
That's second to next in my reading pile, really looking forward to it.

#599517 - 07/15/12 02:48 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Joe Lee]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
Originally Posted By: Joe Lee
Originally Posted By: Lawson
That's second to next in my reading pile, really looking forward to it.

I especially liked Michelinie/Talaoc's take on the Unknown Soldier. Hard-edged I suppose but not in a Garth Ennis type of way.

Anyway, I'm re-reading Pluto by Naoki Urasawa. An Astro Boy story - The Greatest Robot in the World - reimagined by the Urasawa. Marvellous art. Urasawa is able to convey so much emotion in a simple drawing of a face. Fantastic.

Only 2 more books of Twentieth Century Boys to come out and then I can read the whole darn thing.

Also been re-reading League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 1 & 2. Again top stuff. Alan Moore, I salute you.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley