Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#601084 - 09/29/12 04:21 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Strenuous Teddy]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
Well said, Teddy. King City is great!

Naruto -- I gave up on this series when Shonen Jump went all-digital, and I had only been skimming it for a while before that. I hope you are right that the translation is responsible for the incoherent writing, since it seemed to go off the rails long ago.

It is pretty amazing how good some of the translation on some manga series used to be. Like, complicated jokes and puns that would have made no sense in a straight word-for-word translation, but the translator/adaptor managed to come up with something that was both funny and still true to the author's intent. This was an area where annotations actually were helpful, at one time.

Come to think of it, the translations on Tintin and Asterix books were brilliant, back in the day. Like remember the jungle tribe Tintin met once that spoke a gibberish language, but when you sounded it out it was all Cockney slang? Apparently that was all some kind of similarly-disguised Belgian street slang in the original French. That's real intellectual work, there, coming up with that kind of thing.

All that said, I don't mind the sound effects technique used in books like Yotsuba and others, where they leave the original Japanese characters and put translations in the margins or nearby. Since the original characters are a graphic part of the image, it makes sense to leave them there in that case.

#601085 - 09/29/12 07:52 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Strenuous Teddy Offline

Originally Posted By: Peter Urkowitz
I hope you are right that the translation is responsible for the incoherent writing, since it seemed to go off the rails long ago.

Heh, well there's that, too. It's probably a combination of the two.

I read up a bit on this and the particular translation problem I had apparently originates with Naruto's use of the phrase dattebayo which has no real English translation. It's just something he tags his speech with to make himself sound more aggressive or tough. That's where the phrase "believe it" apparently came from as an attempt in localization along with other phrases. In this volume they suddenly decided to translate it as Naruto saying, "ya know" a lot. It's pretty annoying but on top of that the volume starts off with Naruto saying "ya know" once for probably the first time in the series and the character Bee responding, "Man.. ya know, ya know, all the time..shaddup ya know." Which is tough enough to parse but made worse without initial context for the phrase.

So I can see the translation difficulties and continuity problem they presented but the series has had several of these types of moments for me where it seemed like an editor or someone should have stepped in and done a rewrite before sending it off to the printers.

David Brothers blogged about the Yotsuba sound effects a while ago with an interesting comments thread back and forth and since I mostly agree with his take on it I'll just post the link:

http://4thletter.net/2009/09/yotsuba-translation-issues/

Not that a bad retouch job would be better. I'd prefer a skilled retouch but I can live with leaving the effects intact. I just think the small text of romanji and parenthetical translation are distracting and kind of counter to the whole idea of of how graphic elements like sound effects work. It creates too many layers of redundant information on the page.

#601088 - 09/29/12 11:26 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Strenuous Teddy]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

That 4th Letter post and comments were interesting; thanks for the link. Good points made all around. I think we can agree to disagree on the final verdict.

#601117 - 10/02/12 09:09 AM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
Tintin - The Castafiore Emerald.

Essentially, Bianca Castafiore, the famous Diva, decides to invite herself to Marlinspike for a holiday and hilarity ensures.

Basically, nothing much happens but it is so well done and funny, I think it's the best Tintin book. The artwork, of course, is fantastic.

10 out of 10.

#601153 - 10/03/12 05:17 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
shjonescrk Offline

I tried to read Love & Rockets: Human Diastrophism or parts thereof last night. It's a bit of mess to be honest. It's got nice art and I like the characters but the story telling is all over the shop. Is this a flashback? A flash forward? I found it all a bit confusing. I think Gilbert could have done with an editor to make it more coherent. I'll try again another time and see if I get it then.

#601228 - 10/08/12 05:54 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
shjonescrk Offline

The final book of 20th Century Boys turned up today. So for the next week or so that's all I be reading. I've read the first half, which I intend to re-read and then all the way to the end. Urasawa is amazing.

Once this is done, I can then watch the movie trilogy.

So last night, I read volume 1. Who is the friend?

#601247 - 10/09/12 08:38 AM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
Strenuous Teddy Offline

Originally Posted By: shjonescrk
The final book of 20th Century Boys turned up today. So for the next week or so that's all I be reading. I've read the first half, which I intend to re-read and then all the way to the end. Urasawa is amazing.

Wait!! I'm several volumes behind but aren't there two more volumes, 21st Century Boys one and two? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=21st+century+boys

#601253 - 10/10/12 02:35 AM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Strenuous Teddy]
shjonescrk Offline

Originally Posted By: Strenuous Teddy
Originally Posted By: shjonescrk

Wait!! I'm several volumes behind but aren't there two more volumes, 21st Century Boys one and two? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=21st+century+boys

You're right. I originally thought they were 24 volumes but when I checked on Amazon, I could only find 22 and Wikipedia confirmed that as well but now I see there are two extra volumes. Lucky for me you spotted this.

Anyway I am going to read the ones I've got now, it's too good to wait and pre-order 21st Century Boys volumes.

Hopefully, they'll will publish Billy Bat when 20th/21st Century Boys is complete as from the few scanlations I've seen, it looks very interesting.

#601255 - 10/10/12 07:31 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

They solicited for Billy Bat a few years ago and then cancelled it. I'm not sure what happened there. I hope they do release it here eventually.

#601285 - 10/21/12 05:44 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
shjonescrk Offline

20th Century Boys - just finished volume 20. 20 books in 11 days. Great stuff. 2 more to go and then I'll have to wait til next year for 21st Century Boys.

The art is fantastic. In my opinion, Urasawa is the best comic book artist in the world. A comic book Messi!!!!

Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley