Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#602068 - 04/23/13 07:07 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Johnny]
Michael Neno Offline

Loc: Central Ohio
Currently reading Action Comics (though I don't know if I'll stick around after Grant Morrison leaves), Rick Remenders' Captain America (a nice Kirbyesque change from Brubacker's 24-ish noir intrigue, which was getting uninspired), the Bud Sagendorf Popeye reprints andthe Roger Langridge Popeye series (a shame it got cancelled).

Also reading Thief of Thieves, Mark Waid's Daredevil, Paul Grist's Mud Man, Brubaker's Fatale, Snyder and Morrison's Batman series and Matt Fraction's FF. Probably other series I'm not thinking of. I have a huge stack of The Avengers, The Sixth Gun and The Walking Dead to get caught up on, too.

#602071 - 04/26/13 12:27 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Michael Neno]
Mark Allen Offline

Loc: Northwestern Oklahoma
Reliving the glory days of Marvel with Marvel Essentials volumes, primarily Avengers, Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Amazing Spider-Man and Daredevil. No new stuff to speak of.

A YouTube page! That's..., something.
Four Color Commentary

#602074 - 04/28/13 03:11 AM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Mark Allen]
steel: A Long Departed Hero Offline

Loc: The MBA (Mysterious Blue Area)...
Damage Control, Gunfire, Lost Girls

#602081 - 04/30/13 12:56 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: steel: A Long Departed Hero]
Strenuous Teddy Offline

Just picked up the AdHouse print version of Boulet's "The Darkness" retitled The Noirness for publication. http://english.bouletcorp.com/2012/02/01/darkness/

And Children of the Sea vol 4 to get caught up for the conclusion out this summer. Unfortunately it's been so long since I read the previous volumes I sort of lost the thread and I'm going to have to reread once I have them all.

And hey, new Taiyo Matsumoto is coming out soon.

#602124 - 05/13/13 05:30 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Strenuous Teddy]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
20th Century Boys. I've got the final two volumes so it's back to volume 1 and away we go. Quite possibly, my favourite comic of all time.

Also struggling through The Black Dossier - some nice, clever ideas but not Alan Moore's greatest work.

I've read East of West 1 and 2. Quite good to be honest. I hope it is a finite series as I don't care for reading something that goes on and on.

#602136 - 05/17/13 07:40 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
steel: A Long Departed Hero Offline

Loc: The MBA (Mysterious Blue Area)...
I really enjoyed Black Dossier! It got so many negative reviews that I didn't buy it. When I read it at the bookstore, I was ecstatic! Lots of fun!

#602158 - 06/03/13 11:05 AM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Johnny]
jackdaw Offline

I'm reading prose stuff. Cancelled all my monthly pull list about 6 months ago.

Just finished reading C S Forester's Hornblower series. Good stuff. Seeing a character develop convincingly from first joining navy at 17 to ending as an admiral..... it's a refreshing change from the tripe served up in most mainstream super hero comics.

I won't say I'll never read comics again. I will... indeed I'll even read some mainstream super hero runs. But I won't go back to a monthly pull list. And I will be very selective.... I'm just going to read long runs by favourite writers where that writer has produced something worthy of them.

#602159 - 06/03/13 05:20 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: jackdaw]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

I haven't done a comics order in a few months. I'll scan through the catalog and find a few items, but they're usually things that will be available on Amazon at a better price. The thrill of the monthly is pretty much dead.

My last shipment only included one book, the new edition of Chester Brown's Paying For It: A Comic-Strip Memoir About Being A John. I hadn't read it before. The "Ed the Happy Clown" run of Yummy Fur is still some of my very favorite comics, so it's pretty painful to witness what Brown has become since then.

#602160 - 06/04/13 05:00 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
I've enjoyed Chester Brown's stuff in the past, but I haven't yet picked up his prostitution tell-all. You didn't care for it?

For a while there, I closely followed that whole Toronto indie comix scene with Brown, Joe Matt and Seth. A few years back I quit buying new comics, though, so I've lost track of them.

#602162 - 06/05/13 03:29 AM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Lawson]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Oh, it's pretty decent as a piece of work. There are many laugh-out-loud moments and Brown's sense of timing is as dry as ever. Pretty lengthy notes and appendices sections wherein Brown makes many good points, but some of his source materials feel a bit cherry-picked and thus his arguments sometimes a bit strawman-ish. He barely presses on the S.T.D. concerns, except to say that he never got one; and that even though healthcare is provided as an option for all Canadian citizens, it would be wrong to *force* healthcare on anyone vis--vis forced checkups for sex workers (I wonder if his opinion would be the same if he hadn't been so lucky).

The two major impressions that I had while reading it were that 1)Brown derives a great deal of personal satisfaction from being perceived as an emotionless robot; and 2)he's very likely not as articulate in real-life discussion as he depicts himself to be. Seth contributes an afterword and confirms my suspicions.

When I say it's painful to witness what Brown has become, I'm primarily referring to his eschewing fantastical elements in his drawing, which I always thought were one of his great strengths; and also to his physical transformation from this:

...into this:

I forget which of the Hammer Studios Frankenstein movies made the point that one's facial characteristics are shaped by the demeanor of one's mind (the point being that the monster should become less ugly as a result of the genius brain that was supposed to be transplanted into it, and mistakenly had not been), but barring external factors such as disease and disfigurement, I have often found this to be true. It's especially jarring in the moments of Brown's text when he makes judgments on women's attractiveness.

And apparently, Brown is also now an aspiring politician, having put his name on two ballots for Parliament, but not winning either race. He is affiliated with the Canadian Libertarian Party (which has no problem with prostitution, but opposes as part of their platform all forms of government subsidies), despite having at least partially funded the creation of this book with a $16,000 grant from the Canadian Council for the Arts. Perhaps hypocrisy contributed to his ugliness.

At least he didn't sign Dave Sim's "I Am Not A Misogynist" pledge. So that's something.

Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley