Topic Options
#602094 - 05/04/13 02:19 AM Iron Man 3
Allen Montgomery Online   content

As always, this isn't to convince anyone to see the movie; it's for those who've seen it.

I had only seen two previews before going in, both on the Colbert Report. The one thing I didn't understand was why the Mandarin had an American accent. When the point was raised about funding for the movie coming partially from a Chinese production company and that they also shot an alternate version for the Chinese market (with the Mandarin renamed "Man Darren"), I assumed the muddying of the character had to do with Political Correctness on Disney's part. And maybe that's so, but the issue of Ben Kingsley's weird accent was addressed and satisfactorily put to rest within the context of the story.

The complaints I'd heard before going in had mostly to do with how much time Downey spends on screen out of the armor. Tony's fast patter has always been the real star of the Iron Man movies, so I didn't care about that criticism. I always prefer the acting over the action, anyway, but there were quite a few fight scenes with un-armored Tony versus dudes with superpowers, un-armored Tony being flung against metal objects, etc. A human body just couldn't feasibly take all the abuse handed out in these scenes.

Guy Pearce has never impressed me in anything other than Ravenous (1999), and here looked like a trailer trash meth addict rather than the suave Bond-esque bad guy he was trying to be, but he was okay. Thinking back over the plot, I don't understand what it is he was trying to accomplish, other than the standard "take over the world" boilerplate. There was some conspiracy-type stuff in there about controlling the market in the war on terror, and that particular fantasy element is a bit uncomfortable taken along with the recent opening of the George W. Bush presidential library... But I digress...

The subplot with the kid was good (if a bit schmaltzy). It could have easily turned into Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom with the smart-mouthed kid, and it came damn close to the line a couple of times, but ultimately it wasn't terrible. Then I was sure that the "everybody's secretly a bad guy" thing they kept doing was going to spill over onto the kid's story, but thankfully it didn't. Oddly enough, the kid seems to have some connection to Zack Snyder and his group of people.

There wasn't much suspense in the happy ending, and it's probably for the best. When Pepper fell to her "death" it was over in a second, no slow motion. They had already shown that she had been injected with the super serum, so it was obvious she was okay (her hair being perfect and un-singed was maybe a bit much). In the end, it's unclear as to whether or not Pepper retains her superpowers. Tony says he "sorts it out," but what does that mean?

I was initially concerned when I heard Favreau wasn't directing. I don't know why I was concerned, though, since I had already noted on The Avengers that the person in the director's chair is largely inconsequential to the finished product. That proved to be true here as well. The "director" on any of these Marvel movies is just a middle-manager and the style here is pretty much the same as all the rest.

The CGI was good, as CGI goes. But for $200Million, it had better be.

Stan's cameo was funny, as usual; and the scene after the credits was actually a part of the narrative and not an ad for another movie, not as usual.

Overall, it was a satisfying movie experience.

#602095 - 05/05/13 09:08 PM Re: Iron Man 3 [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Jimbo Offline

Loc: New Zealand/Canada
I also liked it.

#602135 - 05/17/13 10:39 AM Re: Iron Man 3 [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
I always prefer the acting over the action, anyway, but there were quite a few fight scenes with un-armored Tony versus dudes with superpowers, un-armored Tony being flung against metal objects, etc. A human body just couldn't feasibly take all the abuse handed out in these scenes.

You're right. But that's par for the course in movies and television shows.

In real life, getting punched in the head by someone who knows what he's doing can kill you or put you in the hospital. In movies/TV, though, everyone seems to have at least a minimal level of super-strength. They can be punched around, smashed through a window and knocked over a car by a fiery explosion, and they come out of it with maybe a bleeding lip.

(In fact, while the invulnerable Tony Stark was trading blows with super-villains, the actual actor Robert Downey Jr. broke his ankle after landing wrong during that oil rig scene toward the end of the movie.)

In general, though, I agree, this was a fun popcorn movie. I'll rent it on DVD to rewatch it down the road.

#602142 - 05/27/13 01:56 PM Re: Iron Man 3 [Re: Lawson]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
I couldn't fully enjoy the movie as we were running late and I hit a kerb rather hard on the way and blew the tyre out completely. Luckily, we were nearly at the cinema so I was able to get there. My son, who is profoundly autistic, wouldn't have understood if I had tried to sort it out there and then so I had to watch the film, unable to fully concentrate, hoping that it was a only blown tyre and nothing more. (It didn't help that we had a major fuck up at work the day before - mostly my fault - so I wasn't in the happiest of moods anyway.) I'll have to watch it again. Fortunately, I was able to get home in time for the Champions League Final.

Still, Robert Downey Jr was good and I pity any actor who follows him in the role of Tony Stark. Ben Kingsley was great as well. I agree with Lawson that it was a "fun popcorn movie". So far, excluding the Hulk movies, the Marvel movies - Captain America, Thor, Avengers, Iron Man - have all been like that.

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley