Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#602125 - 05/13/13 10:31 PM Re: BEFORE WATCHMEN Scabs List [COMPLETE] [Re: Lawson]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Originally Posted By: Lawson
Mark Evanier: "DC does pay the Kirby estate...very nice, fair amounts. Marvel does not. And it always bothers me when a creator's work is reused without compensation to them or their heirs."

He's talking about the hardcover reprint books. This would be a basic expectation for a living author (what got Steranko steamed about the Nick Fury reprint book, as one example), but doesn't get at the claim the Kirby estate gets paid every time Darkseid or Mister Miracle makes an appearance.

#602126 - 05/13/13 10:39 PM Re: BEFORE WATCHMEN Scabs List [COMPLETE] [Re: Lawson]

Gibbons, informal remark to Bleeding Cool: "I didn’t have a lot of input in it. To me anything to do with the movies [...] [is] really not canon."

And yet apparently more important than his relationship with Alan Moore.

#602127 - 05/14/13 09:35 AM Re: BEFORE WATCHMEN Scabs List [COMPLETE] [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Mark Evanier, in this online comment from February, says the Kirby estate gets paid for Fourth World character appearances in "other media."

Mark Evanier
February 10, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Hello. A couple of the above commenters have written to ask me to weigh in here.

Jack received (and his estate still receives) royalties on the Fourth World books.

The original deal was done at a time when DC execs swore they would never in a million years pay royalties to creators … but they had in some cases and they would later make it a standard policy with new creations.

When Jack did design work for those Super Powers toys of the early eighties, DC decided they could let that material qualify for the then-current royalty plan on newly-created work.

So Jack got paid whenever a Fourth World character turned up in other media, was merchandised or made a major appearance in a comic book. His estate still receives such money. Marvel has never paid him anything on the characters he created or co-created for them.

#602128 - 05/14/13 09:46 AM Re: BEFORE WATCHMEN Scabs List [COMPLETE] [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
Gibbons, informal remark to Bleeding Cool: "I didn’t have a lot of input in it. To me anything to do with the movies [...] [is] really not canon."

And yet apparently more important than his relationship with Alan Moore.

Well, you may know more than I do. I don't know the status of Moore and Gibbons' relationship.

Gibbons has continued to work for DC, and it's likely that he wants to keep good relations with the company, so he's probably going to hold his tongue. Moore does not give a damn what the DC executives think. He can speak candidly. Maybe that creates tension if Moore expects Gibbons to protest on WATCHMEN-related matters. I just dunno.

#602129 - 05/14/13 01:23 PM Re: BEFORE WATCHMEN Scabs List [COMPLETE] [Re: Lawson]

Mark Evanier, in this online comment from February, says the Kirby estate gets paid for Fourth World character appearances in "other media."

It's like pulling teeth just to get a straight answer every time I ask a simple and direct question.

#602130 - 05/14/13 01:27 PM Re: BEFORE WATCHMEN Scabs List [COMPLETE] [Re: Lawson]

Well, you may know more than I do. I don't know the status of Moore and Gibbons' relationship.

All I know is what Moore said in interviews, linked to in previous discussions here. As I understand it, he asked Gibbons not to speak to him any more of Watchmen, and Gibbons kept pestering him about it. Not the money, not the continuing to work for DC; just shut up about Watchmen. Seemed like a pretty reasonable request to me.

#602131 - 05/14/13 01:47 PM Re: BEFORE WATCHMEN Scabs List [COMPLETE] [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

It's like pulling teeth just to get a straight answer every time I ask a simple and direct question.

Well, that's about as direct a quote from Mark Evanier as I can find online on the subject of Jack Kirby and the Kirby estate getting DC royalties from the use of the Fourth World characters, in comics and outside of comics.

It answers the question to my satisfaction. You may disagree, and that's fine.

#602132 - 05/14/13 01:53 PM Re: BEFORE WATCHMEN Scabs List [COMPLETE] [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

All I know is what Moore said in interviews, linked to in previous discussions here. As I understand it, he asked Gibbons not to speak to him any more of Watchmen, and Gibbons kept pestering him about it. Not the money, not the continuing to work for DC; just shut up about Watchmen. Seemed like a pretty reasonable request to me.

Mmm. Yeah, that sounds familiar, now that you mention it. DC kept asking Gibbons to lobby Moore on WATCHMEN -- for a movie, toys, more comics, whatever -- and Moore said that put stress on their relationship because he had made it clear that he didn't want to discuss WATCHMEN anymore.

It does seem like Gibbons should have just told DC, "Fellas, Alan doesn't want to hear the word 'Watchmen,' period. He's my friend and I'm going to respect his wishes." But again, without condemning or condoning, Gibbons obviously wants to keep DC happy with him so he can remain employed on its comics.

#602133 - 05/14/13 02:15 PM Re: BEFORE WATCHMEN Scabs List [COMPLETE] [Re: Lawson]

It answers the question to my satisfaction.

It does to mine as well, mostly. I'm referring to how many times I've asked the same question before I got a straight answer. It's the same shit as when I asked if the Kuberts ever got paid for Veitch attending their school, if Bissette made more on his Scholastic assignments than his tuition, how much is the Image administration fee, etc. When I ask a simple question, all I want is a simple answer.

#602171 - 06/10/13 03:50 AM Re: BEFORE WATCHMEN Scabs List [COMPLETE] [Re: Lawson]
jackdaw Offline

Well I've not read any DC for 6 months, so I'm doing my bit.

Mind you.... I'm hoping there's no requirement to throw out back issues, there is some stuff I'd like to re-read sometime.

Must admit I was very surprised at some of names on BW artists lists.

Not least Neal Adams. Surely he can't need the money, and I thought he's always been a strong advocate of creators rights, and an all round top bloke.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley