Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#602154 - 05/30/13 12:17 PM Re: Dan DiDio: Vertigo was "myopic" approach to comics [Re: Lawson]
Ceci n'est pas une chaussette Offline

Originally Posted By: Lawson
It's interesting in the Times article to see Grant Morrison talk about his experimental SEBASTIAN O selling around 90,000 copies in the late 1980s, making it a "meh" modest success.

Hunh. You know, Sebastian O, despite being (itself) kind of meh, reminds me that Morrison did do a lot of Vertigo's best stuff. Even leaving Doom Patrol, Animal Man, and Invisibles out of it, Kill Your Boyfriend, Flex Mentallo, We3, and Seaguy are all serious feathers in that imprint's cap.

It's easy to forget Grant Morrison wasn't always someone who made you go, "Sigh... okay, Batman's got a backup personality, why not."

#602155 - 05/30/13 12:53 PM Re: Dan DiDio: Vertigo was "myopic" approach to comics [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
They would inevitably gravitate towards the Vertigo books... something like Fables, pick a copy off the shelf, open the cover and... well, that was the end of that.

Chicken-scratch interior art led to a problem I had with a number of Vertigo and indie titles for a while: I could not distinguish one character from the next. Unless someone used a name in the dialogue, I often didn't know which squiggly wo/man with black hair, a T-shirt and jeans was in any given panel.

In 2006, I attended Small Press Expo in Bethesda, Md., and spent hours sampling the wares of up-and-coming indie comix folks. A surprising number of them simply could not draw. (I say "surprising" because many of them graduated from an art school. Allen, perhaps, would not be surprised.) It's almost like they didn't think being able to draw was important in a visual medium like comics.

As popular as it is to make fun of old-timers like Curt Swan, they could draw.

#602164 - 06/05/13 09:47 AM Re: Dan DiDio: Vertigo was "myopic" approach to comics [Re: Lawson]
Lawson Offline

Now we know what Dan DiDio prefers to Vertigo.

In the immortal words of our own Ceci -- Batman, Batman, a little Superman, and some more Batman.

To capture a greater chunk of market share from Marvel, DC in September will ship its most popular books weekly.

So in one month, we'll have four Detective Comics.

Four Batman And Robins.

Four Batman: The Dark Knights.

Four Batmans.

Four Action Comics.

Four Supermans.

Four Green Lanterns.

Four Justice Leagues.

And a few others to be announced.

Also, each of these will have 3-D covers and be $4.

#602165 - 06/05/13 12:35 PM Re: Dan DiDio: Vertigo was "myopic" approach to comics [Re: Lawson]

Personally, I'm pretty much convinced Marvel and DC exist now as trademark zoos. Keep those existing properties active boys, we'll stop by when it's time to let you know what the next movie will be.

#602166 - 06/05/13 01:23 PM Re: Dan DiDio: Vertigo was "myopic" approach to comics [Re: Ceci n'est pas une chaussette]
Lawson Offline

No doubt about it.

Karen Berger, in the Times article, describes DC and Marvel as “superhero companies owned by movie studios.”

#602167 - 06/05/13 01:52 PM Re: Dan DiDio: Vertigo was "myopic" approach to comics [Re: Lawson]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
Seems that Image is publishing more interesting stuff now. I'm giving East of West a go anyway.

#602168 - 06/05/13 01:56 PM Re: Dan DiDio: Vertigo was "myopic" approach to comics [Re: shjonescrk]

Probably, yeah. Which is just crazy... if you'd asked me in 1993, "twenty years from now, who'll be publishing more interesting comics? Vertigo or Image?" I think I would have gently touched your shoulder and softly asked if there was an adult we could call to come pick you up.

#602169 - 06/05/13 02:50 PM Re: Dan DiDio: Vertigo was "myopic" approach to comics [Re: Ceci n'est pas une chaussette]
Lawson Offline

The only thing wrong with Image was most of the guys who founded it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley