Page 8 of 12 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#601586 - 12/13/12 02:46 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
Not been reading many comics lately but I am going through Death Note again. Films are good too.

In terms of real books, I am 3/4's of the way through Jack Vance's Planet of Adventure which I read on the train to work - this is good stuff. I've read a lot of Vance's work but for the first time, I've really got it.

Also, reading A Tale of Two Cities, one chapter a day. Prose can be a bit convoluted to say the least but it seems to help if I read it out loud.

#601759 - 01/13/13 07:58 AM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
shjonescrk Offline

Finish Death Note. Cool book.

Read half of book six of Lone Wolf & Cub. What can one say? Awesome.

Anyway, Punk Rock Jesus (all six issues) is ready & waiting. I would read it today but too much football on the telly (proper football not the American stuff).

#601793 - 01/19/13 05:12 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
shjonescrk Offline

Punk Rock Jesus - very good. Art was fantastic. Story is unbelievable but hey, it's a comic but I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to make a movie out of it.

#601797 - 01/21/13 12:31 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
jackdaw Offline

Just finished Alan Moore/ Eddie Campbell's From Hell. Very impressive.

For me it worked wonderfully well as a comic... Eddie Campbell's visuals conjured up Victorian London superbly well, and the black and white scenes worked perfectly for me. ( I found some of the action pretty disturbing even in this format, film/ TV would have been near unbearable for me.)

#601811 - 01/24/13 02:54 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: jackdaw]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Shortcomings

Story and art by Adrian Tomine

This falling-out-of-love story is a new graphic novel from Tomine, a popular illustrator at The New Yorker and other magazines.

The protaganist, Ben Tanaka, is a self-loathing jerk with a permanently crabby outlook on life and no social skills (I felt a kinship!) who lives in Berkeley, Calif., with his long-suffering girlfriend, Miko. Ben and Miko are Japanese-American, though Ben couldn't care less about his heritage and actually prefers white women, whereas Miko runs an Asian-American film program and speaks fluent Japanese.

The novel, in three chapters, follows Ben and Miko through the messy end of their relationship and their separate relocation -- her first, then him -- to New York City. Hilariously, Ben uses his new (and unwanted) bachelorhood to chase the great white whale: sex with a white girl! It does not go well for him.

Ben's only friend is a Korean-American lesbian named Alice who gets all the best lines, and she's the only one who gets to tell Ben to go fuck himself when he needs to hear it, which is every few pages.

#601813 - 01/24/13 04:07 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Lawson]
shjonescrk Offline

Originally Posted By: Lawson
Shortcomings

Story and art by Adrian Tomine

This falling-out-of-love story is a new graphic novel from Tomine, a popular illustrator at The New Yorker and other magazines.

The protaganist, Ben Tanaka, is a self-loathing jerk with a permanently crabby outlook on life and no social skills (I felt a kinship!) who lives in Berkeley, Calif., with his long-suffering girlfriend, Miko. Ben and Miko are Japanese-American, though Ben couldn't care less about his heritage and actually prefers white women, whereas Miko runs an Asian-American film program and speaks fluent Japanese.

The novel, in three chapters, follows Ben and Miko through the messy end of their relationship and their separate relocation -- her first, then him -- to New York City. Hilariously, Ben uses his new (and unwanted) bachelorhood to chase the great white whale: sex with a white girl! It does not go well for him.

Ben's only friend is a Korean-American lesbian named Alice who gets all the best lines, and she's the only one who gets to tell Ben to go fuck himself when he needs to hear it, which is every few pages.

But is it any good?

#601815 - 01/24/13 04:41 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Originally Posted By: shjonescrk
But is it any good?

Ha! I forgot to say, didn't I.

Yeah, I'm a fan of Tomine's work. I enjoyed it. Good artwork, compelling little personal drama if you like that sort of thing.

Full disclosure: This hardcover retails for $15, and I bought it for half that much at a used bookstore -- about as much as two new comic books cost. So I'd say it was worth my $7. Dunno if I'd drop $15 on it.

#601956 - 03/15/13 09:35 AM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Lawson]
shjonescrk Offline

I've just read Rasl by Jeff Smith. Interesting stuff about Tesla Cracked have had a number of articles about him.

It was okay, I suppose, but the ending was a bit vague.

#602053 - 04/17/13 05:31 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
shjonescrk Offline

Last night, I read Jiro Taniguchi's "A Zoo in Winter". Not your typical manga and well worth a read.

I started to read "Lost Girls" the other week. It's a bit more explicit than I thought.

#602063 - 04/19/13 02:26 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Book four of Mark Crilley's new digest sized series Brody's Ghost was the only regular comic book in my shipment this month. And frankly, I think I'm going to drop it, too. Great backgrounds would be the only real compliment I have for it. The figures don't look like the Seuss-ish style Crilley is known for, more a generic manga style; and the writing is sagging down excessively into dramatic soap operatics. It's a murder mystery, so hopefully there are only a finite number of episodes planned and Crilley can move on to something better after getting this out of his system.

Page 8 of 12 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley