Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#600713 - 09/01/12 10:30 AM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Lawson]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
Kamandi was my favourite Kirby work at DC. The best issues were issue 16 "The Hospital" (this would have been a perfect place for the series to end) and issue #23.

I've just read the first episode of Naruto. The art is not the best in the world but it's a good story.

#600732 - 09/02/12 10:09 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
ChrisW Offline

Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
I re-read "Reset" in one sitting, and it worked much better. I just wish Bagge would do an on-going sitcom/soap opera, something that gives the reader characters to come back for each month.

Jason Yungbluth's "Weapon Brown: Blockhead's War" is much better than I had expected, although the first series was better. This one carries the Charlie Brown-as-post-apocalyptic-killer-drawn-like-Sin-City joke a little too far, but includes as many other comic strip characters as possible.

I'm a couple issues behind on "Fables" but I am really getting bored. The cubs are the least interesting part of the main cast to me, and "Cubs in Toyland" is the second long storyline in a row about them. I do love Mark Buckingham's art - and kudos to the coloring, which finally integrates computers in a way that doesn't make the page resemble a plate of hurl - but the series is coming to resemble Claremont's X-Men in a bad way, a constant onslaught of dangling plot ends.

"I think ChrisW is the funniest man in entertainment still alive..."
-- the perceptive Tom Spurgeon

#600784 - 09/04/12 07:08 AM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: ChrisW]
shjonescrk Offline

The Infernal Man-Thing "Screenplay of the Living Dead Man" 1 to 3 - a sequel to "Song-cry of the Living Dead Man". I can remember reading the original as 14 year old and not actually getting it at all, though I loved the title and the combination of John Buscema & Klaus Janson was nice. It will be worth a re-read. Crazy stuff.

#600838 - 09/13/12 04:30 AM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
shjonescrk Offline

Due to being off work because of illness, I am doing some extra reading. So ...

Incredible Hulk 102 through to 114 so far. This comic fairly rattles along. Stan Lee could sure right a mean comic. To be Hulkinued.

I recently bought Tezuka's "Messge to Adolf". This is a nice hardback book. The story of three Adolf's - a Jewish boy, a German Boy and Hitler himself. Only read the first four chapters but it is good. Tezuka's art is very cartoony (if that's a word) but very good. I also like the fact that the Japanese seem to be able to do much bigger pieces of work than western comic creators.

Edited by shjonescrk (09/13/12 05:00 AM)

#600844 - 09/13/12 09:02 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
Walter Simonson's "The Judas Coin" graphic novel came out this week. It follows a cursed coin down through the centuries, as it interacts with various DC characters in each time period. Simonson uses a variety of art styles and storytelling techniques in each chapter. Good stuff!

#600926 - 09/19/12 05:43 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
shjonescrk Offline

With the new Judge Dredd movie out, I thought I buy a copy of 2000AD, issue 1800 to be precise. I haven't read it in years. Anyway, whilst the art of the Dredd Story was nice (Chris Weston), the story (Chris Weston again) itself was a total waste of time, embarrassingly bad. The other stories are not too bad but they are all the first part of their respective stories but I won't bother picking up the next issue to find out what happens.

#600927 - 09/19/12 05:57 PM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Another compilation of all the Bolland material is soliciting this month. Or maybe it's the same compilation from a few years ago re-soliciting. Whatever. All of the best Judge Dredd material under one cover.

#600933 - 09/20/12 10:56 AM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
I read some JUDGE DREDD comics as a kid in the 1980s and thought they were a lot of fun, though I'm surprised it's lasted this long. There's only so many times I need to see a scowling Dredd shoot a hole in some mutant freak.

A collection of the Bolland material sounds worthy. I just tucked a pre-ordered copy into my Amazon shopping cart.

#600934 - 09/20/12 11:04 AM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: Lawson]
shjonescrk Offline

Bolland did very little art for Judge Dredd. Judge Death was great stuff but one creepy story involved a thing called Jigsaw disease drawn by Bolland.

At a convention, I went to back in the 80s, Ron Smith, one of the artists on Dredd, spoke about how he used speed to help him meet deadlines.

#600997 - 09/24/12 07:02 AM Re: The books I'm reading thread... [Re: shjonescrk]
shjonescrk Offline

Finished the first volume of Message to Adolf by Osamu Tezuka. This is great stuff and I would recommend it. Quite brutal, especially towards the end. I can't wait for volume 2.

Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley