Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#602258 - 07/22/13 03:19 PM Re: New Valiant comics any good? [Re: Lawson]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Why the fuck Jerry Ordway would even want to work for DC is unfathomable. It's like the stories about old black men saying they had it better under slavery (stories only heard second-hand via old white men).

#602259 - 07/22/13 03:36 PM Re: New Valiant comics any good? [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Ceci n'est pas une chaussette Offline

It's probably more like guys who serve thirty years in prison, then have no idea how to function on the outside.

The man spent his adult life drawing Superman. What else is he gonna do? Do we really think he's had that non-superhero piece... or even that original superhero character... knocking around his head for the last twenty years, just waiting for the moment when DC stops returning his calls?

#602260 - 07/22/13 04:28 PM Re: New Valiant comics any good? [Re: Ceci n'est pas une chaussette]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Ceci is right.

I like Jerry Ordway's artwork just fine -- and by all accounts, he's a friendly guy -- but he's 55 years old, he's got a family and a mortgage, and he spent most of his career laboring in the fields of for-hire superhero comics.

Telling the man, "Go and invent your own digital comics and see how that works out" at this stage of his life is almost a little cruel.

#602262 - 07/22/13 11:55 PM Re: New Valiant comics any good? [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Defiant1 Offline

Loc: Atlanta GA
Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
I flipped through the new Quantum & Woody. It looked okay.

This title had dismal sales in the 90's despite all the hype. It had a loyal and vocal following, but the number of fans were small.

#602263 - 07/22/13 11:57 PM Re: New Valiant comics any good? [Re: Lawson]
Defiant1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Lawson
Nine-and-a-half Superman comics in one month and Jerry Ordway still can't get his calls returned at DC.

I suspect that they simply don't want to pay his rate, so they go with new faces that can barely draw.

#602265 - 07/23/13 09:28 AM Re: New Valiant comics any good? [Re: Defiant1]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Originally Posted By: Defiant1
I suspect that they simply don't want to pay his rate, so they go with new faces that can barely draw.

As likely an explanation as any.

I was looking at an old Ordway-drawn Superman comic the other day. It had detailed backgrounds -- city buildings, cars, trees, people in recognizable outfits. Ordway (and the inker) obviously put some effort into it.

Most of today's Superman comics have a monochromatic background. Superman will be backed by a wall of light blue. Nobody could be bothered to draw anything behind him.

#602287 - 08/11/13 02:36 PM Re: New Valiant comics any good? [Re: Lawson]
Defiant1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Lawson
Originally Posted By: Defiant1

As likely an explanation as any.

I was looking at an old Ordway-drawn Superman comic the other day. It had detailed backgrounds -- city buildings, cars, trees, people in recognizable outfits. Ordway (and the inker) obviously put some effort into it.

Most of today's Superman comics have a monochromatic background. Superman will be backed by a wall of light blue. Nobody could be bothered to draw anything behind him.

Reason #693 as to why I don't buy modern comics. A background isn't expected from modern artists. Even detail on the main character isn't a requirement. Everyone wants to draw like Mike Mignola.

Edited by Defiant1 (08/11/13 02:37 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley