Page 10 of 15 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 14 15 >
Topic Options
#602291 - 08/11/13 04:49 PM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: MightyQuin]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Currently on episode 5.5 with commercials and no fast-forward. This is torture.

#602292 - 08/11/13 06:09 PM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: madget]

Originally Posted By: madget
I don't see why the whole gang shouldn't come down pretty hard on Todd for this

Because Todd was 100% right in choosing the correct answer to the trite conundrum. These guys are stealing chemicals to make drugs that will end many more kids' lives in much slower and more disgusting ways than just getting shot.

This Skylar and the kids crap is getting sooo tiresome.

#602293 - 08/11/13 10:05 PM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: Allen Montgomery]

Guh. Slow-motion train wreck.

#602297 - 08/12/13 08:32 PM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: Allen Montgomery]
madget Offline

Quote:
Because Todd was 100% right in choosing the correct answer to the trite conundrum. These guys are stealing chemicals to make drugs that will end many more kids' lives in much slower and more disgusting ways than just getting shot.

But not Drew Sharp's. And nobody's forced to use meth.

Ep. 9 (spoilers): I'd have rather they took a different route for the final leg here than Hank finding out Walt's secret and the two facing off. The vague absurdity of the "my brother-in-law is a drug dealer and I didn't even know!" vibe will begin rearing its head more now -- I can't fully immerse myself in Hank's shock right now, it's all just a little too contrived. Still, being Breaking Bad, this protracted face-off is at least likely to be well done. So far, so good: I was surprised that Walt and Hank confronted each other so quickly, and enjoyed that because I didn't expect it so soon. In addition to it simply being entertaining to watch the two characters comprehend each other's positions and interact with that new knowledge, Hank's dilemma is pretty interesting in that Walt will (probably) be dead of cancer fairly soon anyway. What is the price of trying to bring Walt down? What can Hank meaningfully do, and how? Although he remains a great character, Jesse's position is not terribly interesting at the moment. I feel there will come an episode where he finds out everything (the fates of Jane, Mike, etc.) -- and that's another thing I'd probably rather they didn't do. But it'll be interesting. And maybe I'm wrong, who knows. I loved the opening/pre-credit sequence, and Walt's droll "Hello Carol," even if her reaction was a bit much. Moments like that knowingly lean on the fundamental absurdity of the show's premise and characters in a smart way. The "I need you to believe this" line with Jesse (though not funny) was nicely played too. The cancer returning was expected and previously hinted at, but well introduced. My general nit-picky quibbles aside, good start to the final arc.

K

#602298 - 08/12/13 08:55 PM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: madget]
madget Offline

Oh, and I have to add that while I'm having mixed feelings about Dean Norris, I think Cranston remains about as perfect as one could hope. Listen to his delivery of the final line in the episode, his veiled threat to Hank. It would be soooo easy to overplay that line and the emotions and ideas feeding into it, to skew it wrong. Every little emotion that flickers across Walt's face and into his voice during this or pretty much any pivotal Walt scene is always so complexly in-character. Remember his speechifying to Gus at the opening of Season 4 when Victor is killed? The layers of delusion, awareness, dwindling embers of humanity, and self-made conviction are all so tangible. I've seen Cranston in other things and he's pretty "eh" much of the time, but his command of Walter White is astonishingly thorough and complete. Cranston is right to recognize it as the role of his career/life. And all in all Paul isn't too far behind.

K

#602299 - 08/12/13 10:02 PM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: madget]

But not Drew Sharp's.

Selective morals? How is that a valid defense of Jesse's crybaby bullshit?

And nobody's forced to use meth.

So addiction doesn't exist?

I was surprised that Walt and Hank confronted each other so quickly

I was surprised the episode didn't end when Hank closed the garage door.

Walt will (probably) be dead of cancer fairly soon anyway.

The flash-forward in the beginning is at least a few years in the future. So, no, Walt will not be dead of cancer soon. There has been no story about that side of Walt's life recently, and not showing every excruciating detail is just not in Gilligan's playbook (they've got way too many hours of TV to fill). Walt is lying about his cancer coming back.

#602300 - 08/12/13 10:42 PM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: Allen Montgomery]
madget Offline

Quote:
Selective morals? How is that a valid defense of Jesse's crybaby bullshit?

People choose to use meth. Drew Sharp didn't have that choice. Wrong time, wrong place. Didn't even understand what he was seeing. Murder was an excessive response to the encounter. Jesse understood that. I'm not sure what you're arguing. That Jesse is somehow in the wrong to be troubled by the needless murder of a kid? I'm not crazy about this particular plot turn/device, but that seems a natural enough reaction to me. If you're saying Jesse is a little picky-choosy about which transgressions get under his skin, that is probably true. Jesse's a fallible human. Child murder seems a reasonable transgression for his still very active conscience to be rattled by.

To Walt the entire encounter and outcome is simply a business event. Not one he's happy about, but any unhappiness he experiences arises not from human compassion for the life taken, but its effect on his operation and crew morale. I like the way the show illustrates the link between evil and the efficient machinations of the self-made man.

Quote:
So addiction doesn't exist?

You can't become physically addicted until you've already chosen to repeatedly use it.

Quote:
I was surprised the episode didn't end when Hank closed the garage door.

Oo. That would've been cruel. I hadn't thought of that.

Quote:
The flash-forward in the beginning is at least a few years in the future. So, no, Walt will not be dead of cancer soon. There has been no story about that side of Walt's life recently, and not showing every excruciating detail is just not in Gilligan's playbook (they've got way too many hours of TV to fill). Walt is lying about his cancer coming back.

It's the day of his 52nd birthday, two years after the start of the whole series. It's not "a few years into the future." I'm not sure where we are on the timeline, but birthday 51 already elapsed. It was mentioned before that the two-year timeline of the show presents some significant plausibility problems -- but, plausible or no, that's the timeline. What we're seeing in the opening is probably a few months into the future, not years.

And no way Walt's lying about the cancer. Not a terrible idea, but they show him receiving chemo again, and the coughing during the first Season 5 flash-forward was a giveaway even before this new half-season began.

K

#602301 - 08/12/13 11:02 PM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: madget]

Drew Sharp didn't have that choice. Wrong time, wrong place. Didn't even understand what he was seeing. Murder was an excessive responsive to the encounter.

No, it was not. Re-read (or re-watch) V For Vendetta. The detail about how even a description of the clay would be enough for a smart man to find the location of V's lair.

I'm not sure what you're arguing. That Jesse is somehow in the wrong to be troubled by the needless murder of a kid?

That Jesse is a flaw that would have been eliminated long ago if it weren't for the contract of the actor playing him.

You can't become physically addicted until you've already chosen to repeatedly use it.

And the suppliers of the super-quality product are entirely blameless. Sure.

It's the day of his 52nd birthday

Where was that established? The condition of the house looked worse than what might have occurred in the span of nine months. I haven't gone back to try and recall who "Carol" was, but it looked like both she and Cranston were wearing makeup to make them look older.

#602302 - 08/12/13 11:39 PM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: Allen Montgomery]
madget Offline

His age in the new flash-forwards was established in S5E01, in the opening. He forms the bacon into a "52" which is a flashback to Skylar forming it into "50" in S1E01 when the whole thing begins.

He didn't look very healthy, but I think that is the effects of the cancer, not age. I guess it would probably take a minimum of 3 months to grow that much hair out. The beard could be fake. The house does look pretty bad though. I feel like birthday 51 wasn't too long ago in the "present" story; so I'm guessing what we're seeing is maybe 6-9 months out? I thought Carol was the neighbor he used as kill-bait in Season 4 but I'm not sure -- she might be a new invention.

K

#602303 - 08/12/13 11:44 PM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: madget]
madget Offline

Quote:
And the suppliers of the super-quality product are entirely blameless. Sure.

I'd say they're complicit. So is Coca-Cola, and KFC. So are the manufacturers of anything with any harmful effects upon the human body and/or mind, particularly things addictive and prone to abuse and to the detriment of healthy living. World of Warcraft?

K

Page 10 of 15 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 14 15 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley