Topic Options
#602411 - 11/04/13 10:37 AM Nick Cardy, R.I.P.
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Nick Cardy, the amazing and (I think) under-appreciated artist who produced so much great work at DC Comics during the Silver Age, died this weekend at the age of 93.

You could easily identify Cardy artwork by his lush, rounded figures. And his covers were among the most imaginative that DC put on the stands -- then, before or since.

I met Cardy a few years ago at Baltimore Comic Con. He sat alone at a table, no fans in line before him. I ran to the nearest dollar boxes, bought one of his many excellent TEEN TITANS comics from the 1960s, got his autograph and told him how terrific I thought his art was.

A pro like Cardy should always have had at least two dozen fans in his line.

#602412 - 11/04/13 11:04 AM Re: Nick Cardy, R.I.P. [Re: Lawson]
Ceci n'est pas une chaussette Offline

Aw, crap. Teen Titans aside, his romance covers were outright stunning:

#602413 - 11/04/13 02:18 PM Re: Nick Cardy, R.I.P. [Re: Ceci n'est pas une chaussette]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Loved his work a lot, but never got around to investigating his "Nick Cardi" commercial art output. Mark Evanier says Cardy left no surviving family, but I can't seem to find any reference to whether or not he was a Ditko-type.

#602415 - 11/04/13 06:06 PM Re: Nick Cardy, R.I.P. [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
Mark Evanier says Cardy left no surviving family, but I can't seem to find any reference to whether or not he was a Ditko-type.

I'm not sure what you mean.

The obituaries say Cardy was married to a woman during the 1950s and '60s, but evidently it didn't last. They had a son who died in 2001 while still in his 40s. So I guess he didn't have any family at the end.

But Cardy wasn't reclusive. He attended conventions and had many friends among the ranks of younger comics pros.

#602416 - 11/04/13 06:10 PM Re: Nick Cardy, R.I.P. [Re: Lawson]
Alexander Ness Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I saw him at a Fall or Spring con here in MPLS/StPaul, Vicodin mushes the memory so not sure which, and he was gregarious and actively kind and open to fans. I haven't any comment about his work except that he lived long and deserved whatever credit he earned and fame.

Godspeed.

#602419 - 11/04/13 09:50 PM Re: Nick Cardy, R.I.P. [Re: Lawson]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Originally Posted By: Lawson
I'm not sure what you mean.

My "research" consisted of consulting Wikipedia, which includes nothing about Cardy's family.

#602420 - 11/05/13 09:48 AM Re: Nick Cardy, R.I.P. [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

Alex, I recommend any of the relatively affordable collections of Nick Cardy comics that DC has published in recent years.

Cardy was best known for his long runs on AQUAMAN and TEEN TITANS in the 1960s, both of which can be found in those fat, black-and-white collections. I've found 'em cheap at shows.

And Cardy drew the short-lived DC Western title BAT LASH, also available in a black-and-white collection. Sergio Aragones, the MAD cartoonist, wrote those stories as a "Maverick" send-up.

Cardy also drew a ton of great stand-alone covers for DC through the mid-1970s, including some featuring Superman and Batman. Alas, I don't know if those have been collected.

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley