Topic Options
#602617 - 12/12/13 06:53 PM #3 in my series at the Outhousers
Alexander Ness Offline

Loc: Minnesota
http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/zinesmiths/125423-a-poets-mind-by-alex-ness-wip.html

Thinking about death, life, the journey, how it affects writing, and being creative.

#602716 - 01/01/14 11:47 AM #4 in my series at the Outhousers [Re: Alexander Ness]
Alexander Ness Offline

#602717 - 01/01/14 06:29 PM Re: #4 in my series at the Outhousers [Re: Alexander Ness]
Alexander Ness Offline

#602817 - 01/19/14 01:14 PM #5 in my series at the Outhousers [Re: Alexander Ness]
Alexander Ness Offline

#602829 - 01/25/14 06:27 PM Re: #5 in my series at the Outhousers [Re: Alexander Ness]
Defiant1 Offline

Loc: Atlanta GA
I'm more of a concept person. An adviser. I analyze. The act of writing is too tedious for my mind. It's like quicksand for the concepts and thoughts I value most.

The only class I ever failed in school was "Composition". For one whole quarter we were given daily writing assignments. I stared at the blank paper and had nothing to write. As further punishment, the teacher would pick people to read their compositions aloud at the end of the class. I don't think I turned in any complete compositions. The final exam was the tradition quiz. I made a 98% on that. At one point I tried to calculate how bad my "F" was for the class. I think I calculated my average for the quarter at 0.6%. Short of simply not showing up, I can't imagine that anyone could get a lower grade for a class. My attendance was never an issue.

I had to retake the class at a remedial level. Taking it again was no problem. We talked about writing a didn't actually have to write anything. I passed with an "A".

#602832 - 01/25/14 06:33 PM Re: #5 in my series at the Outhousers [Re: Defiant1]
Alexander Ness Offline

I failed speech because I couldn't bear to speak in public. Until I took a class in college that was the key to graduating I didn't ever like it. But once I realized I had to do it, I started to like it. And now, I do it often, and love it.

#602839 - 01/25/14 07:04 PM Re: #5 in my series at the Outhousers [Re: Alexander Ness]
Defiant1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Alexander Ness
I failed speech because I couldn't bear to speak in public. Until I took a class in college that was the key to graduating I didn't ever like it. But once I realized I had to do it, I started to like it. And now, I do it often, and love it.

It bothered me a lot up until my current job. I had to come up with an improvement project for my manufacturing area and justify a cost saving in a presentation to management and my whole group of coworkers. Everyone had to do it, but mine was the only one that got implemented. I was very uncomfortable during the presentation, but at some point, my Leo arrogance kicked in.

My advice now is to leave introverts alone. They don't want to me messed with. They have quiet time alone to think up a lot of complex and bizarre concepts. They can rattle them off extremely fast and make your jaw drop. The last thing an extrovert wants to deal with is an introvert that takes over the whole room and doesn't give a damn what they think.

df1

#602840 - 01/25/14 07:11 PM Re: #5 in my series at the Outhousers [Re: Alexander Ness]
Defiant1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Alexander Ness

I was about to venture away, but your comment reminded me of a story about James Earl Jones being a chronic stutterer. His professor would mock him if he was speaking in front of the class. Since he didn't have the problem when he sang, he practiced singing his words. Eventually, he overcame the humiliation through this method and now he's well known for his voice. Darth Vader sings his words.

df1

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley