Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#602693 - 12/26/13 04:03 PM Comics I still read
Alexander Ness Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I get Savage Dragon for the story.
I buy and read anything with Ashley Wood art.
And that is about it.

What is on your list?

#602694 - 12/27/13 03:23 PM Re: Comics I still read [Re: Alexander Ness]
Mr. Socko Offline

For Xmas, I received:
- Latest Walking Dead TPB
- Good Dog (Chaffee)
- The Property (Rutu Modan)
- Battling Boy

Looking forward to some comics reading this weekend.

#602695 - 12/27/13 05:19 PM Re: Comics I still read [Re: Mr. Socko]
Alexander Ness Offline

awesome.

#602696 - 12/27/13 07:01 PM Re: Comics I still read [Re: Alexander Ness]
Defiant1 Offline

Loc: Atlanta GA
Nothing, unless I buy a Silver or Golden age book.

#602697 - 12/27/13 07:22 PM Re: Comics I still read [Re: Defiant1]
Alexander Ness Offline

I would be in that territory but my son kind of requires my attention and we go to the comic store often, or did before my cancer happened.

#602710 - 12/31/13 01:18 PM Re: Comics I still read [Re: Alexander Ness]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
The few new comics I'm reading, I either buy as discounted trade paperbacks (thanks, Amazon) or borrow from the public library as trades. The comics industry priced itself out of my budget years ago. Four bucks for a comic book?!

SAGA (Image), by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples. This is an interstellar Romeo and Juliet. The horned Marko and the winged Alana try to raise their baby girl and stay alive while their respective races wage war all around them and assassins target them for elimination.

HAWKEYE (Marvel), by Matt Fraction and David Aja. A funny, stylish-looking book featuring Hawkeye on his days off from saving the world as an Avenger. Mostly set in Brooklyn.

DAREDEVIL (Marvel), by Mark Waid and Chris Samnee. Every Daredevil writer since Frank Miller has rubbed the poor bastard's face in shit, destroying his life, killing his girlfriends, driving him insane, turning him evil, etc. By contrast, Mark Waid gives us an entertaining comic about a witty, swashbuckling hero who actually enjoys what he does. Great art by Samnee, too.

That's about it for new comics.

Lawson Jr. and I are working our way through TINY TITANS and SUPERMAN FAMILY ADVENTURES trade paperbacks, both of them by the kiddie-friendly team of Art Baltazar and Franco. I got to meet them in Baltimore this year and snagged their autographs for Junior. I'm still not sure which of them does what.

I'm also enjoying Fantagraphics' E.C. Comics Library, an ongoing collection of hardcovers that reprints the classic E.C. oeuvre (horror, crime, war, pirates, Westerns, science-fiction) by acclaimed artists like Wally Wood, John Severin, Harvey Kurtzman, Joe Orlando and Al Williamson.

I've bought these as my budget allows. Presently, I'm enjoying the Jack Davis volume of horror stories from TALES FROM THE CRYPT, entitled, 'TAIN'T THE MEAT ... IT'S THE HUMANITY!

#602711 - 12/31/13 03:03 PM Re: Comics I still read [Re: Lawson]
Alexander Ness Offline

kick ass, welcome back Lawman!

#602719 - 01/02/14 03:21 PM Re: Comics I still read [Re: Alexander Ness]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
Velvet
East of West
Lazarus (might bin this)

As collections
Saga
Fatale

#602720 - 01/02/14 05:51 PM Re: Comics I still read [Re: shjonescrk]
Alexander Ness Offline

Welcome back Mister Jones!

#602722 - 01/02/14 11:21 PM Re: Comics I still read [Re: Lawson]
Defiant1 Offline

Loc: Atlanta GA
Originally Posted By: Lawson

I'm also enjoying Fantagraphics' E.C. Comics Library, an ongoing collection of hardcovers that reprints the classic E.C. oeuvre (horror, crime, war, pirates, Westerns, science-fiction) by acclaimed artists like Wally Wood, John Severin, Harvey Kurtzman, Joe Orlando and Al Williamson.

I've bought these as my budget allows. Presently, I'm enjoying the Jack Davis volume of horror stories from TALES FROM THE CRYPT, entitled, 'TAIN'T THE MEAT ... IT'S THE HUMANITY!

I own quite a few of the EC reprints in comic form and I buy midgrade originals when the price is right for my budget. My dad got me hooked on EC's even though he never collected comics. EC were his favorite comics when he was a kid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley