Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#602766 - 01/09/14 02:59 PM Re: Comics I still read [Re: Defiant1]
steel: A Long Departed Hero Offline

Loc: The MBA (Mysterious Blue Area)...
I was enjoying FIRESTORM a while back. Guess that does not count. SURVIVORMAN looks like it might be worth jumping onto with issue 5. SPACE WOMEN BEYOND THE STRATOSPHERE could get good with the next issue. Ah, who am I kidding. I do not read any comics, anymore. What happened to me?

#602774 - 01/13/14 01:08 PM Re: Comics I still read [Re: steel: A Long Departed Hero]
Ceci n'est pas une chaussette Offline

No wonder if you're reading those shitpiles.

#602777 - 01/14/14 02:14 AM Re: Comics I still read [Re: Ceci n'est pas une chaussette]
Alexander Ness Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I now have oodles of time to read comics, I just returned from nearly dying in the hospital for 6 days being attacked by staph infection.

I have 4 weeks of at home treatments now, and I can't leave the home except to go to the doctor.

Since I sold most of my books to survive, I have mostly just Jack Kirby left. So there it is. I'll have a month of Jack.

That ain't so bad.

#602778 - 01/14/14 01:24 PM Re: Comics I still read [Re: Alexander Ness]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
I've just enjoyed Darwyn Cooke's graphic novel adaptation of SLAYGROUND, one of the excellent Parker crime-noir novels written by Richard Stark (a pseudonym for the late Donald Westlake).

This was the fourth Parker graphic novel in a series that Cooke is producing for IDW.

Unlike his lamentable BEFORE WATCHMEN projects, done over Alan Moore's protests, Cooke secured the enthusiastic endorsement of Westlake before the author died in 2008.

#602781 - 01/14/14 08:05 PM Re: Comics I still read [Re: Lawson]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Or so Cooke claims.

#602800 - 01/17/14 03:52 PM Re: Comics I still read [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Westlake's son, who runs a Web site for his father's fans, says Cooke's graphic novels are a Westlake-approved project, and he loyally promotes them there.

So I've gotta figure that Cooke did right.

That time.

Of course, it's worth noting that Westlake held the copyright to all his books, so Cooke could not have proceeded without the old man's blessings, as he did with Moore and BEFORE WATCHMEN.

#602802 - 01/17/14 07:38 PM Re: Comics I still read [Re: Lawson]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Money talks. Cooke is still a wanker who can't draw worth a damn.

Anyway, I did order a couple of new comics yesterday which should show up tomorrow. Volume 8 of Adam Warren's Empowered, a comic that has been consistently stellar. Also, Ted McKeever's Miniature Jesus, which is purely from my misplaced nostalgic affection for Eddy Current.

#602808 - 01/18/14 02:18 PM Re: Comics I still read [Re: Alexander Ness]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
Originally Posted By: Alexander Ness
Welcome back Mister Jones!

I don't think I've been away or no more than anyone else but thanks for the welcome.

#602809 - 01/18/14 03:16 PM Re: Comics I still read [Re: shjonescrk]
Alexander Ness Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Nice to see you, how about that?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley