Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#602820 - 01/20/14 12:24 AM Edited because I can
Alexander Ness Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I have chosen to remove the piece, since it was written when I was angry.

I am tired of having been screwed in deals, but it is indiscreet to be screwed and then speak about it.

Edited by Alexander Ness (01/20/14 08:50 AM)
Edit Reason: anger

#602828 - 01/25/14 06:04 PM Re: Edited because I can [Re: Alexander Ness]
Defiant1 Offline

Loc: Atlanta GA
I can't remember if I saw the original.

Hmmm!

df1

#602834 - 01/25/14 06:41 PM Re: Edited because I can [Re: Defiant1]
Alexander Ness Offline

I had posted a link to a blog I run, hinting at a future column about rascals in the industry of creative arts. I was going to name names and such. But, I decided that even if the various people had screwed me in the butt, I was going to not do the going public thing.

1) it doesn't help it just riles up an old fight.
2) the guilty parties know their guilt and don't give a shit
3) I want to be above the rudeness and the indiscreet people who have screwed me.

After years of dealing with one, who claimed to be my friend, I just realize he wants my work to be associated with his because he has done nothing, and I have 21 published books or stories out. At some point people will realize I am not nor have I been his client, whatever he says or calls it, and will look at who actually did the work on the books. His name cannot be found on anything I've done, although he wished to do it, he never did the work. Wishes rarely equate finished project.

Having cancer, then staph, and other shit, I've got more things to deal with than failed collaborative efforts. I need to survive for my 15 year old boy to have his dad. I want to survive to see my grandchildren. I have written a novel in my last 12 months, and I have a new comic that might be out by May. I am going to move forward, and if asked will explain to people that in private I can answer whatever questions they wish, but not in public. Life is too good to stew.

Excelsior!

#602841 - 01/25/14 07:34 PM Re: Edited because I can [Re: Alexander Ness]
Defiant1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Alexander Ness
I had posted a link to a blog I run, hinting at a future column about rascals in the industry of creative arts. I was going to name names and such. But, I decided that even if the various people had screwed me in the butt, I was going to not do the going public thing.

1) it doesn't help it just riles up an old fight.
2) the guilty parties know their guilt and don't give a shit
3) I want to be above the rudeness and the indiscreet people who have screwed me.

After years of dealing with one, who claimed to be my friend, I just realize he wants my work to be associated with his because he has done nothing, and I have 21 published books or stories out. At some point people will realize I am not nor have I been his client, whatever he says or calls it, and will look at who actually did the work on the books. His name cannot be found on anything I've done, although he wished to do it, he never did the work. Wishes rarely equate finished project.

Having cancer, then staph, and other shit, I've got more things to deal with than failed collaborative efforts. I need to survive for my 15 year old boy to have his dad. I want to survive to see my grandchildren. I have written a novel in my last 12 months, and I have a new comic that might be out by May. I am going to move forward, and if asked will explain to people that in private I can answer whatever questions they wish, but not in public. Life is too good to stew.

Excelsior!

The biggest opportunities sometimes come with the biggest obstacles. I had a friend that nagged me to draw a cartoon. He then nagged me to submit it to a magazine. The publisher printed it for two years. It was distributed around college campuses and had a fan base. A female friend had connections in Hollywood. She wanted to fly me out to meet a producer for Southpark to possibly develop it into a cartoon.

Nice story, but this is how it ended. The guy stole a one-of-a-kind collectible from me that I loaned him as a reference item to write a magazine article. The magazine article kept getting delayed and it never saw print. After 2 years I was so pissed I purged him out of my life and I have no interest in seeing him again.

The female friend pressured me to put together a "care package" to take with us to California. After I put it together she realized I had far more concepts and development than she'd even seen. She started acting like a control freak as if she was a co-creator. She kept rushing me until I made it clear that I was the sole creator and that compensation for her efforts were contingent upon whether it was developed into anything. I was really nice and just clarified that she was not a co-creator. From that point forward, she was too busy with her family life. I think I've seen her once since then. I was so pissed at her behavior that I haven't drawn any cartoons since. Well, I drew some for a girlfriend because she liked them, but nothing to be printed.

The kicker is that I hate to write and I can't draw worth a damn. The most important art tool I ever bought was an electric eraser.

df1

Edited by Defiant1 (01/25/14 07:40 PM)

#602844 - 01/25/14 07:49 PM Re: Edited because I can [Re: Defiant1]
Alexander Ness Offline

Creativity has a penalty, and it usually involves dealing with others.

#602846 - 01/25/14 08:08 PM Re: Edited because I can [Re: Alexander Ness]
Defiant1 Offline

Creativity has a penalty, and it usually involves dealing with others.

The irony is that the way I felt after it all is very similar to the way Barry Windsor-Smith describes how he felt after dealing with Mike Richardson and Dark Horse over his Storyteller series.

I don't consider myself skilled enough to be a creator, but reading about his experience made me realize the differences are much less than I imagined.

#602848 - 01/25/14 08:24 PM Re: Edited because I can [Re: Defiant1]
Alexander Ness Offline

Creation comes with pain of birth, and separation anxiety. Some people are unable to ever birth creations, while others refuse to let others see them once born. It isn't easy so I respect everyone who endeavors.

#602851 - 01/26/14 11:30 PM Re: Edited because I can [Re: Alexander Ness]
Defiant1 Offline

Creation comes with pain of birth, and separation anxiety. Some people are unable to ever birth creations, while others refuse to let others see them once born. It isn't easy so I respect everyone who endeavors.

Well, I used to date the girlfriends of rock stars. I was always annoyed that they were so blinded by fame that I was never their long term choice. Fame to some is a childhood dreams that they never outgrow. Drawing my cartoon was something I did more out of brewing frustration. I never doubted I could draw something and make it interesting. I never doubted I could get published. What I did not expect was the reaction I got from women. I've never had more women paying attention to me. I remember talking to one girl I worked with and was describing my cartoon. She went silent. She stared at me and her mind was obviously thinking deeply. She finally broke her silence and said "You are going to be famous one day!". What do you say back to that? Ultimately though, I really have no desire to be famous. I want the benefits fame brings without actually being famous. I do have the strong belief that the difference between being famous and being a nobody is the simple act of getting off your a$$ and doing SOMETHING. An author at Dragon Con was giving advice on how to get a novel published. The first step was... write a novel. Don't write a paragraph. Don't write half of a book. Finish a novel. Then start looking for someone to publish it. Expect rejection... over and over. Don't give up until you get a yes. It's amazing how much further ahead you can get when you actually take the effort to do something. As bad as I am as an artist, I was getting better. The more you do something, the better you get. Maybe one day I'll want to be famous and I'll do something again and follow through with it.

My ambitions have always been towards a bigger mountain to climb. The mountain is in my own head and I probably won't reach my goal before my time is up. People are all motivated by different things.

df1

#602863 - 01/29/14 12:57 AM Re: Edited because I can [Re: Defiant1]
Alexander Ness Offline

I never wanted/want to be famous, what I wanted was to let out the burning words that kept going through my head.

If I were also talented as an artist, I might be able to do things I can't now. Relying upon others to bring visuals to your work is rather frustrating, when as a 15 year old I had stuff in the art show at the end of the year for my high school.

#602866 - 01/29/14 08:54 AM Re: Edited because I can [Re: Alexander Ness]
Defiant1 Offline

Anyone can draw something. I started with stick men on post-it note pads. Serious words need serious art. Comedy can get by with art that is a parody of real art. It really depends upon what words you are trying to get out there. My art was suitable for what I was writing. I've met plenty of competent artists that said "I wish I could write." They can draw anything you want, but they don't have the ability to write a story or be funny. In many ways you have an advantage. You could also photoshop images and put words with artwork that is already out there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley