Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#602826 - 01/22/14 10:31 PM -35 F with windchill tomorrow am
Alexander Ness Online   shocked

Loc: Minnesota
And somehow my son still has school.

In the modern age this is rather rare, but, I remember going to school whatever the temp was, because it was never the cold that kept us from school, it was the snow.

Speaking of snow, we've had enough of that white shit too.

#602830 - 01/25/14 06:31 PM Re: -35 F with windchill tomorrow am [Re: Alexander Ness]
Defiant1 Offline

Loc: Atlanta GA
Single digits is the lowest we've dealt with in Georgia so far. That is abnormally cold for us.

df1

#602836 - 01/25/14 06:54 PM Re: -35 F with windchill tomorrow am [Re: Defiant1]

Monday is said to be similarly nasty (-30s F below) but it is still a day or two away. My son is banking upon a snow/cold day, but I think he'll be disappointed.

#602847 - 01/25/14 08:20 PM Re: -35 F with windchill tomorrow am [Re: Alexander Ness]
Defiant1 Offline

I walked out the door a week or so ago and saw water in the driveway. The temperature was dropping down to freezing. I debated going to work but figured there might be ice in patches on the way home. I took the day off. Later I found out that the wind had dried up all the moisture before it froze. I don't regret my decision, but in Atlanta people can't drive on ice. Because of that, it's more dangerous than what you deal with. I had a court date in Virginia once that coincided with the worst winter storm on the entire East coast. I had to drive on ice for 13 hours to get there. I hated it. I'll take any excuse I can to avoid driving on ice. I'm on his side. Atlanta also doesn't have the number of snow plows and equipment to keep the roads clear. Even a light icing can shut us down.

#602849 - 01/25/14 08:25 PM Re: -35 F with windchill tomorrow am [Re: Defiant1]

I lived in Charlotte, and the one storm I endured there coincides directly with everything you said

#602852 - 01/26/14 11:48 PM Re: -35 F with windchill tomorrow am [Re: Alexander Ness]
Defiant1 Offline

[quote=Alexander Ness]I lived in Charlotte, and the one storm I endured there coincides directly with everything you said [/quote]

I did slide off the road outside of Charlotte. After driving all night on the ice and seeing dozens of cars that had slid off the road, the sun started coming up. I hit the morning rush hour traffic as I was approached Charlotte. People were driving much too fast and too closely. There were both dry patches and ice patches and I was trying just to keep pace. Eventually, my tire grabbed on dry patch and I hit a small ice patch that spun me off the road. I believe in miracles, but that accident stuns even me. My vehicle was aimed down a grassy median pointed at a guard rail. There was no damage. I take out a cell phone and call my dad in Atlanta to say I'm stranded. No sooner than I hung up, a local guy in a pick-up truck offers to pull me back up to the road. The only problem was that I was facing the wrong direction after he pulled e up to the road.

As I'm trying to reach for my wallet to give the guy some money for helping me, the line of traffic grinds to a halt. A guy rolls down his window and asks me if I'm okay. I said I was okay, but that I needed to turn around and traffic was going too fast. He flashes a police badge at me and says "I'm stopping traffic, go ahead and turn around." So I did. He was an off-duty policeman.

Within 15 minutes, I was back on my way. It was a strange flow of events. I never had time to even get frustrated.

Edited by Defiant1 (01/26/14 11:51 PM)

#602855 - 01/27/14 12:01 AM Re: -35 F with windchill tomorrow am [Re: Defiant1]

Charlotte was a place where, once the ice hit, nobody but people with Northern plates drove. And there were cars in the ditch, but it was never anything like Minnesota so I didn't get the fuss.

I spose if I never had seen snow or ice I might freak out.

#602858 - 01/27/14 09:11 PM Re: -35 F with windchill tomorrow am [Re: Alexander Ness]
Defiant1 Offline

[quote=Alexander Ness]Charlotte was a place where, once the ice hit, nobody but people with Northern plates drove. And there were cars in the ditch, but it was never anything like Minnesota so I didn't get the fuss.

I spose if I never had seen snow or ice I might freak out. [/quote]

Are there a lot of cars in the ditch in Minnesota? Northern drivers all brag about their driving skills here.

My first wreck was on black ice in 2 degree weather. There was no precipitation. Morons from my high school opened a fire hydrant hoping they could get the school shut down. I turn a corner late at night and see a dark patch, but I thought it was a shadow on the road. I slide into a fence which consisted of a cable running through wooden posts. The cable stopped me from plowing into a tree. The police show up and they are about to write me a ticket when another driver hits the same patch of ice and wrecks across the street. The other guy had an expired license and no insurance. They didn't write me a ticket because they were too busy with him. It's weird driving though that neighborhood today.

Edited by Defiant1 (01/27/14 09:12 PM)

#602860 - 01/27/14 10:52 PM Re: -35 F with windchill tomorrow am [Re: Defiant1]

Most of the time, no, there really aren't that many wrecks in winter. And when there are it is usually about idiots at the wheel more than winter.

I think ice is different than snow though, and anyone saying they are great on ice is an idiot.

#602862 - 01/28/14 05:55 AM Re: -35 F with windchill tomorrow am [Re: Alexander Ness]
Defiant1 Offline

[quote=Alexander Ness]Most of the time, no, there really aren't that many wrecks in winter. And when there are it is usually about idiots at the wheel more than winter.

I think ice is different than snow though, and anyone saying they are great on ice is an idiot. [/quote]

We get more ice than snow. Ironically, it's supposed to snow today. I planning on leaving work early.

df1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  COMICON Admin