Topic Options
#603696 - 07/27/14 09:43 PM ECLIPSE COMICS REMEMBERED
Alexander Ness Online   shocked

Loc: Minnesota

#603706 - 07/29/14 10:29 AM Re: ECLIPSE COMICS REMEMBERED [Re: Alexander Ness]
Time Warp 1993 Offline

I liked Chuck Dixons stuff on the Punisher alot I thought his pacing was some of the best.

#603715 - 07/29/14 11:11 PM Re: ECLIPSE COMICS REMEMBERED [Re: Time Warp 1993]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

They're the one pro publisher who actually paid Ritchey, so they had to die.

#603719 - 07/30/14 02:42 PM Re: ECLIPSE COMICS REMEMBERED [Re: Allen Montgomery]

I know Mister Ritchey has his flaws, and get your perspective, I'd say, however, I like his artwork.

I love Chuck's action stories. He is close to perfect for me in the writing.

#603725 - 07/30/14 08:58 PM Re: ECLIPSE COMICS REMEMBERED [Re: Alexander Ness]

Ritchey's work would be okay if he were either forty years younger, or didn't claim to be a professional artist. The basic problems he suffers would be acceptable from a teenager.

#603726 - 07/30/14 11:27 PM Re: ECLIPSE COMICS REMEMBERED [Re: Allen Montgomery]

Not going to debate it, we might create a discussion after all. But I think art is subject to taste, and I will remain there.

However I liked Eclipse a lot, regardless who they paid for work.

#603796 - 08/04/14 12:58 AM Re: ECLIPSE COMICS REMEMBERED [Re: Alexander Ness]
Defiant1 Offline

Loc: Atlanta GA
Art is subject to taste, but within certain genres, there are expectations. Abstract art isn't really suitable for most comics storytelling. Noir art isn't really suitable for a story that requires a lot of detail. Serious stories aren't facilitated well with a cartoon style of art. Some art is just distracting because the anatomical inaccuracies make you spend your time thinking "WTF!" While you can mix and match any style of art with words, the expectation is that a certain proficiency will be present so that the end objective of telling a story visually is not compromised or detoured a different direction. That being said, I have no idea who Ritchey is. smile

#603797 - 08/04/14 02:42 AM Re: ECLIPSE COMICS REMEMBERED [Re: Defiant1]

Damn straight.

#603799 - 08/04/14 09:05 AM Re: ECLIPSE COMICS REMEMBERED [Re: Defiant1]

Originally Posted By: Defiant1
I have no idea who Ritchey is.

And yet you seem to:

Some art is just distracting because the anatomical inaccuracies make you spend your time thinking "WTF!"

#603807 - 08/04/14 06:09 PM Re: ECLIPSE COMICS REMEMBERED [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Defiant1 Offline

Loc: Atlanta GA
Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
I have no idea who Ritchey is.

And yet you seem to:

Some art is just distracting because the anatomical inaccuracies make you spend your time thinking "WTF!"

Unfortunately, that also describes about 80% of the modern artists in the comics industry which consider themselves to be "professional."

I've been picking away at an Eclipse Comics checklist for about 6 years. Maybe longer. It's never been a high priority for me since I have bigger tasks that I'm working on also.

I need to populate some data towards the end of the alphabet and sort out the Eclipse Graphic Novels etc. It's a decent start. smirk

http://eclipsearchive.fateback.com/Eclipse_index.html

df1

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley