Page 41 of 42 < 1 2 ... 39 40 41 42 >
Topic Options
#10090 - 12/25/04 05:54 PM Re: [Hype] New John Byrne Column @ UGO: "Those Wacky Superheroes"
Atomik Pop Offline

Loc: Norman OK
>I don't think [Byrne] reads anything current.

Numerous creators have stated they don't read comics; Byrne's case is not unusual.

>[Byrne] lets his editor do the research

Again, probably not atypical.

Steve
Atomik Pop

#10091 - 12/26/04 02:04 AM Re: [Hype] New John Byrne Column @ UGO: "Those Wacky Superheroes"
Paul W. Sondersted, Jr. Offline

Loc: Sparks, Nevada, United States
Quote:
Originally posted by C Keller:
Perhaps I was mistaken to think...

Pally:There's a revelation!

This is indicitive of Pally's idea of how to defend the indefensible. Quote tiny bits of a sentence, make a snide remark and then ignore the content of everything written.

Does this mean that...GASP...I'm ruining your fun? Sat it ain't so!

Quote:
Then go on to repeat the same standard insults while peppering his own posts with distractions and evasions. Paranoically, he'll go on to discount any point made as the product of a conspiratorial paranoia and see any protestation of his reasoning to be proof of whatever point he's otherwise failed to make. Whether he pretends to cotton to it or not (and I conjecture that he's not unaware of this) this is a classic description of delusional behaviour patterns. Thank goodness that he's only playing an odd little self-devised game, or we really might be forced to reach some sad conclusions about his mental health.

Who are you trying to kid (besides your fellow derogatories, of course). There's no doubt that you have reached "certain" conclusions. You've made so many ass-umptions & presumptions that you have apparently completely fooled yourself into believing everything you say is indesputable (hmmmm, sounds delusional).

Quote:
On the one hand it really is kind of fun dissecting the gamesmanship, otherwise it wouldn't be worth doing.

Whew! You ARE still having fun. That was a close call.

Quote:
Still, there is something sad about the thought that some people actually are as nasty, insightless and narrow minded as Pally pretends to be. Possibly that was his original point when he started playing his game. If he weren't playing a game it would indeed be sad to contemplate the little critter's actual quality of life.

Pot calling the kettle, here.
It's oh so very obvious which of us has way too much free time to contemplate the "inner workings" of someone who posts on a message forum.
You are the one who is playing games here. It's all fun & games for you (and whatever other derogatories you have convinced that you are such a brilliant individual).
Truly "sad" to believe that there is a possibility that you ACTUALLY believe the BS spewing out of your keyboard.

Quote:
Admittedly he does possess a strong tenacity, but there's really otherwise not a lot of content or value to what he posts and the only joy that ever comes across in those posts is when he pretends that he has successfully savaged some other poster. While there's always a very slim chance that I'm mistaken and he isn't just playing a game, I truly hope that this isn't the case.

More ass-umptions & presumptions. And more "proof" that you are so full of yourself that you can almost believe that you might be mistaken.

Quote:
If the little guy really is sincere about the way he portrays himself in his posts it would be indicitive of a very sad and lonely life.

Ugh. Back to Internet Psychoanalysis. Perhaps you should try something new...something based in reality, perhaps? It's just possible that all of your ass-umptions & presumptions are way off course. In fact, I have it on good authority that pretty much all of your conjectures & theories are completely off kilter.
Of course, since your virtual head is apparently buried so far up your ass-umptions, I doubt very much that facing reality is an option at this point.

Quote:
I'd wish that on no one, and failing reasonable proof to the contrary I'll continue to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and acknowledge him as a skillful game player. frown

Gee. That's such a load off my shoulders. I was so worried that you were losing all respect for me.

#10092 - 12/26/04 02:20 AM Re: [Hype] New John Byrne Column @ UGO: "Those Wacky Superheroes"
Paul W. Sondersted, Jr. Offline

Loc: Sparks, Nevada, United States
Quote:
Originally posted by jack:
Tell you what pally, you stop repeating "ass-u-mption" like it's some kind of sterling gem you just discovered, and I won't let my irritation level boil over into something

We got the "ass-u-me" point the first time you posted it.

Uh Huh. Your irritation level is certainly a factor that I take into consideration with my posts. Get real.
Sorry to break the news to you, but it's a quirk of mine (even in face-to-face conversations) to pronounce the word(s) as ass-u-me and/or ass-umption.
Still, I'll make you a deal. You stop being derogatory, & I'll stop using the term ass-u-me.
I realize that this isn't a fair deal, of course. And that being derogatory is apparently something that consumes your time hereabouts, but since you ask me to change something that I've been doing ever since I was a teenager (don't swing at the easy ones), I think it's fair to ask you to do something that requires a bit of effort.
Still, from this point on, I will stop using those words...until I see a post by you that negates the deal.

Quote:
Originally posted by jack:
Why don't you just masturbate to the idea that a girl is responding to you online, and have a nice orgasm in the process? I mean, it's pretty clear that you love it, otherwise you wouldn't continue to stick your nose up in the air at her.

Or maybe that's your ass-u-me.

Sounds like your own...presumption(s).
The idea of masturbating to a female online certainly has it's appeal. However, since there is nothing that is even remotely sexually stimulating in the "conversations" (and the fact that one can never be TOO sure about WHAT gender they are TRULY comunicating with...gives me the creeps just thinking about sickos that actually deceive people online about WHAT they REALLY are...UGH!), I'll pass.

#10093 - 12/26/04 04:48 PM Re: [Hype] New John Byrne Column @ UGO: "Those Wacky Superheroes"
jwyatt Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Atomik Pop:
>I don't think [Byrne] reads anything current.

Numerous creators have stated they don't read comics; Byrne's case is not unusual.

>[Byrne] lets his editor do the research

Again, probably not atypical.

How many of these guys are using the characters they don't keep track of, or write columns about an industry they're not current on?

If what you suggest is true, then more kudos to guys like Kurt Busiek, who track down complete runs of characters as he takes on an assignment.

#10094 - 12/26/04 05:07 PM Re: [Hype] New John Byrne Column @ UGO: "Those Wacky Superheroes"
jack Offline

Loc: Just south of NYC
You and me, we guts a deal smile

#10095 - 12/26/04 08:33 PM Re: [Hype] New John Byrne Column @ UGO: "Those Wacky Superheroes"
Atomik Pop Offline

>How many of these guys...write columns about an industry they're not current on?

I understand your point; however, Byrne is not reviewing individual comics in his columns. Reading IDENTITY CRISIS is not a prerequisite to believing the industry would have been better served if publishers limited super-hero titles to "all ages."

Steve

#10096 - 12/27/04 04:52 AM Re: [Hype] New John Byrne Column @ UGO: "Those Wacky Superheroes"
jwyatt Offline

Quote:
>How many of these guys...write columns about an industry they're not current on?

I understand your point; however, Byrne is not reviewing individual comics in his columns.

He's not; you're right.

Because he doesn't know what he's talking about, his columns are simply vague complaints about the state of comics 'today,' even though all of his examples date back to the 80s or are simply uninformed (like comdemning THE INCREDIBLES and SPIDER-MAN movies based on their trailers.)

#10097 - 12/28/04 08:39 PM Re: [Hype] New John Byrne Column @ UGO: "Those Wacky Superheroes"
joe Zhang Offline

Loc: Happy Place
Quote:
Originally posted by jwyatt:

How many of these guys are using the characters they don't keep track of, or write columns about an industry they're not current on?

If what you suggest is true, then more kudos to guys like Kurt Busiek, who track down complete runs of characters as he takes on an assignment.

John Byrne is unique in that he doesn't need to read every appearance of a character when he takes on an assignment.
Editors trust in his ability to strip away all the junk that has accumulated over the years and get right to the core of what makes the character great.

For example getting rid of Superboy and all the crap like Kandor, Supergirl and the "Flash Gordon Krypton"that had dragged Superman down for years, returning the Vision to his pre-emotional state and getting rid of his silly marriage to the Scarlet Witch,fixing Spider-Mans origin so it actually makes sense,taking over Wonder Woman after it floundered for years,bringing the Kirby magic back to the New Gods,changing She-Hulk into a comedic work of art and skipping over 15 years of crappy Fantastic Four history and bringing them back to their roots.

John Byrne does what most writers in comics don't do, he respects the characters he is writing, he doesn't use them to write his own stories, period!!
He doesn't need to buy entire runs of a given book to make his magic.

Doom Patrol comes out this week, don't miss it!!
Grow some balls and tell Byrne off to his face, The John Byrne Forum
All messages and/or images posted by Joezhang are ŠJoezhang Incorporated or their respective and irrespective individual copyright, trademark, and/or patent holders, and may or may not be reproduced in whole, in part, in pieces, in slices, or even fried strips except for private, personal, public, commercial or noncommercial use, without oral, anal, or written permission from Joezhang Inc. or the individual and respective copyright holders under penalty of federal prosecution.

#10098 - 12/29/04 10:56 PM Re: [Hype] New John Byrne Column @ UGO: "Those Wacky Superheroes"
Atomik Pop Offline

>his columns are simply vague complaints

This may be one where we'll have to agree to disagree: Byrne has provided numerous specific complaints about super-heroes appearing in "mature" stories, publishers' pricing and distribution mistakes, and "unprofessinal" creators who repeatedly miss their deadlines.

His columns about THE INCREDIBLES and SPIDER-MAN were not reviews, but discussed other (related) issues. (Note: I don't necessarily agree with Byrne, but I don't believe he should be tarred and feathered for expressing unpopular opinions.)

Steve

#10099 - 12/30/04 04:21 AM Re: [Hype] New John Byrne Column @ UGO: "Those Wacky Superheroes"
jwyatt Offline

Quote:
>his columns are simply vague complaints

This may be one where we'll have to agree to disagree: Byrne has provided numerous specific complaints about super-heroes appearing in "mature" stories, publishers' pricing and distribution mistakes, and "unprofessinal" creators who repeatedly miss their deadlines.

You snipped this part of my quote:
"vague complaints about the state of comics 'today,' even though all of his examples date back to the 80s or are simply uninformed (like comdemning THE INCREDIBLES and SPIDER-MAN movies based on their trailers.) "

Please point out which names Byrne has named, and what vintage those names are.

Page 41 of 42 < 1 2 ... 39 40 41 42 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley