hello everyone,

i felt compelled to create a new topic here because of the fact that i think the "online comics" movement has more to do with ideas and less with media. although joe has made some interesting points about the considerations of media in comics and how the computer facilitates their usage, these are part of the PROCESS of creation rather than the true innovations which this technology has provided us...at least as far as i can tell. i hope this isn't inconvenient to the forum.

there are many considerations to be made when talking about "computer generated" or "computer based" comics. first of all, defining what "comics" really is. there has been a lot of debate over this (the result of which created this thread) and i'm sure it will continue for a good long while and may NEVER be completely decided (but then again "what is ART" hasn't either, so...).

more specifically (and since this thread is entitled "Online Comics") let me share a little of what i've proposed on the Comics Journal discussion board of the same name recently:

"defining what is truly "innovative" about web comics is definitely a tricky subject. at first glance, a comic that is 16 feet long if it were to be printed might not seem like a real innovation to most people, but we tend to forget that is hard to adhere to the
"rules" of what defines comics as COMICS and still adapt them to the web. some of the more publicized "webcomics" projects like Gary Panter's [at the Cartoon Network webpage] are hardly a good example of this since they tend to teeter on the edge of being animation. animation is NOT comics, although web comics CAN use animation to represent movement... it's all very tricky and i've experimented a LOT with my own weekly online strips using the innovations that the web provides (sound, interactivity, animation, javascript, etc.) and still trying to make COMICS (however unsuccessful my attempts might ultimately be). A 16 foot comic strip IS innovative in that you have a 15 inch squared (or so) space in which to view an infinite canvas full of images and words juxtaposed (which Scott McCloud explains in the "welcome" section of his page). but this only scratches the surface of what can be done with comics on the web...

"cybercomics" aren't anywhere near their full potential and many of us are still figuring out what we can and can't do. browser compatibility, download speeds, and internet traffic have proven to be obsticles, too. most of all, trying to create something that is still COMICS by definition when so many limitless possibilities are available can definitely prove to be a challange. it will be really interesting to see what the next couple years will yield as more and more cartoonists explore this brave new world. with the industry in the throes of death, the internet may provide a window of opportunity for many who seek to continue to create comics and redefine what they are...and aren't."

a lot of really interesting points have been brought up at the CJ "online comics" thread and if you'd like to check out a little more do so here

one of my favorite sections in Understanding Comics is when the narrator (or Scott, i guess) talks about the unlimited potential of comics as a medium and the untapped possibilities yet to come. suddenly, we stand upon that threshold.

basically we now have the technology to do virtually ANYTHING we want with comics. where do we go from here? and how far CAN we go with the result still being "comics" and not something else?