April 1, 2001

"Ideas are free," wrote Rick Veitch in a recent message board discussion which sent chills down the spines of intellectual property holders everywhere. Veitch is known as a popular creator and the most powerful man in the world.

"The concept is a little worrisome," said Paul Levitz, Executive Editor at DC Comics. DC holds the copyrights to Batman, Wonder Woman, and other well-known figures. "We're doing detailed research into this area to find out exactly where we stand."

Other figureheads in the struggle also came out for a comment.

"I am most definitely against that," said Microsoft founder Bill Gates. "My company was created specifically because of the whole free source issue. If anyone was making money off something I create, it should be me. I went out, and did just that."

Napster founder Shawn Fanning went on the side of freedom. "Yes, ideas are free and I dare anyone to show me proof otherwise."

Meanwhile, Metallica drummer and newest pin-up feature in Intelectual Property Monthly said "Yeah, ideas are free until you put them on paper or record them. Then they become your property and you should have the right to do whatever you want with your property."

Rick Veitch had no further comment as of press time.