Quote:
Originally posted by Frank Cho:
Most of the artsy fartsy stuff is bad.
If your blanket "artsy-fartsy stuff" merely means all black and white comics, than yes, I agree most of it is bad. But then, with your high standards I'm sure you'd agree most color comics are bad too.

I can name MANY. Just off the top of my head: Adam Hughes, Mark Schultz, Al Williamson, Art Adams, Travis Charest, Marc Hempel, Alex Ross, Jeff Smith, Linda Medley, John Buscema, Alan Davis, Carlos Pacheo, Serpieri, Moebius, Mike Mignola, Bill Stout, Dave Stevens, Gary Gianni, and countless others that I can't think of right now.

This list makes me doubt you know the artists in question or my original statement. First, Moebius and Serpieri are hardly "mainstream" artists. Al Williamson, John Buscema and Bill Stout are hardly "modern" and their work is not exactly setting the mainstream monthly scene on fire of late (why not include Jack Kirby too?). Ignoring the couple genuine talents of Jeff Smith, Linda Medley and Mike Mignola I have to laugh at your inclusion of such noodling stylists as Art Adams and Alan Davis, who you apparently consider superior to Jaime Hernandez AND equals to Al Williamson and Moebius(!). Take an issue of EXCALIBUR or an X-MEN ANNUAL to your average community college art teacher and compare it to "The Death of Speedy" (or The Airtight Garage for that matter) and you'll get a quick answer as to who has a greater grasp of anatomy, composition, and perspective. And that's ignoring Chris Claremonts generally silly and screechy prose.