As of July 11th, Todd McFarlane Productions, Inc. has filed (again) for a registered trademark on "Miracleman." The filing appeared in the USPTO online trademark database (TESS) on July 25th. TESS can be accessed via this URL: http://www.uspto.gov/web/menu/tm.html

TMP has filed in three international classes (016, 025, & 028) seeking coverage for "comic books and posters", "athletic shirts, t-shirts, caps and jackets", and "action figures and accessories". These are essentially the same goods and services that TMP sought to cover in their now abandoned 1997 filing.

I find it interesting that TMP, Inc. filed the very next day after I posted my original "Miracleman Trademark Status" article to rec.arts.comics.misc and the comicon.com message boards. For McFarlane's sake, I hope really isn't depending on Usenet and message board posts for legal advice [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Below is the entry from the USPTO online trademark database:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Word Mark
MIRACLEMAN

Goods and Services
IC 016. US 002 005 022 023 029 037 038 050. G & S: PRINTED MATTER, NAMELY, COMIC BOOKS AND POSTERS

IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: CLOTHING, NAMELY, SHIRTS, ATHLETIC SHIRTS, T-SHIRTS, CAPS AND JACKETS

IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: TOYS, NAMELY, ACTION FIGURES AND ACCESSORIES THEREFORE

Mark Drawing Code
(1) TYPED DRAWING

Serial Number

Filing Date
July 11, 2001

Filed ITU
FILED AS ITU

Owner
(APPLICANT) Todd McFarlane Productions, Inc. CORPORATION ARIZONA. 12240 South Honah Lee Court, Phoenix ARIZONA 85044

Attorney of Record
Penny R. Slicer

Type of Mark
TRADEMARK

Register
PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator
LIVE
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Checking on the status of the application reveals that TMP's Attorney of Record for this filing is:

Penny R. Slicer
Stinson, Mag & Fizzell, P.C.
PO Box 419251
Kansas City, MO 64141-6251

Interesting times, indeed...

------------------
Carl Henderson
carl.henderson@airmail.net

[This message has been edited by Carl_Henderson (edited 07-28-2001).]