One thing I keep meaning to look up, and never have, is who came up with the Superman emblem they use now? I don't believe it was Joe Shuster.

We had a guest speaker in a high school art class once. He was a commercial artist of some variety (I don't quite remember). We were about to embark on a few assignments of calligraphy, creating logos and the like. So this guy was supposed to enlighten the kids on what that was all about.

Before he showed a short film he asked us, "What's the most recognized logo in the world?" I said Superman, somebody else said Coca-Cola. He said, "No, the Playboy bunny." The argument being that the bunny is a symbol without English words attached to it and therefore transcends language barriers. Then he showed his film. In it, there were several examples of ripoffs of the Superman logo, even in other languages.

Granted, I had the advantage because I was a comics reader and studied emblems and logos all the time. But I mean, really.