Minutemen #5...

The bulk of this issue is a heretofore unknown episode about a Japanese plot in 1947 to blow up the Statue of Liberty as revenge for Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Even though the government swept it under the rug, this event was apparently the reason the Doomsday Clock was set up. Everything's got to have a *SECRET ORIGIN*, I suppose.

More blah art, the same problem from previous issues with meandering in and out of the nine-panel layout. In what is perhaps the strangest riff on Gibbons' original artwork, Cooke samples a panel of Rorschach's case worker from the 80's and places that in a scene from 1955. Jarringly odd.

The circus scene with Hooded Justice from the end of #2 is continued. HJ was apparently a former Nazi and was involved in the Silhouette child abduction plot. It's amazing how complicated Cooke has made this puzzle that has so few pieces. Anyway, the revelation hasn't come out yet, but I think we're going to find out that HJ was killed by Hollis.

And speaking of revelations involving Hollis... This issue starts with more navel-gazing over his relationship with Sally. It is unambiguously shown that they were involved sexually, and it is even insinuated that Hollis is Laurie's father. In a weird way, I really do want them to do something so contradictory of that level which would unquestionably put to the lie the claim that these jerkoffs have any respect whatsoever for the original Watchmen material.

Alt cover by someone named Michael Cho, who I've never heard of before.